Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 32 - The more the merrier!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Last edited:
This is some amazing information! I am so happy that multiplayer gets some love! Hot join is one of the most important updates that EU4 will have over EU3!

Johan,

Hotjoin is the single greatest addition to a Paradox game ever made. It may, in fact, be the single greatest innovation in the history of man.

I am prostrate before you, eyes and cheeks (and so forth) damp with the grace and the rapture, trembling, possibly having some sort of seizure, and prepared to offer you sacrifices of the bull, lamb, or child variety (combo platter also available).

Praise be unto you, God of Thunder and Rock and Roll, your Kingdom come, your will be done, etc., and may you even win an MP game!

This is the most exciting change I've seen so far. You really need to go back and put this system into CK2/Victoria2/HOI3. This'll tremendously boost the popularity of your games if there's a live community instead of 2 a handful of games being played each day.

Actually, it looks like you weren't here during the horrible Strategy First/Stardock years with EU2 DRM and etc.

You are right, my first Paradox game was EU3.

Looks like I started right at the beginning of the PDS/PI golden age. ;-)

Will it be possible to message players from the lobby to a running game? I.E. I start up a game, I am playing, and I want players that hotjoin to ask for a passwort before they join. Can we communicate?

Will it be possible to message players from the lobby to a running game? I.E. I start up a game, I am playing, and I want players that hotjoin to ask for a passwort before they join. Can we communicate?

It is through Steam, so it would probably be solved by sending a message through Steam.

EU3 is a Steam-only title, I find it hard to understand why anyone would expect the multiplayer (running on Steamworks) to work when not logged onto Steam.

I hope there is an option to have MP without logging into Steam with Standalone Servers. :)
Because, you know, you can't log into Steam sometimes due to servers restarting or other problems on their side.

I hope there is an option to have MP without logging into Steam with Standalone Servers. :)
Because, you know, you can't log into Steam sometimes due to servers restarting or other problems on their side.

Well, in all my years of Steam (3) that has yet to happen to me, so I don't think that's much of an issue.

Well, in all my years of Steam (3) that has yet to happen to me, so I don't think that's much of an issue.

Well, it happens rarely, that's true, but it still happens from time to time. Sometimes they have heavy problems and Steam is down for several hours. (Which is quite a problem for games like War of The Roses, for example.)

My concern is basically this: I just don't like another random factor that would not allow me to MP with my friends without any way around it. I hope there is a way, like Hamachi LAN or Standalone servers.

I've never played any Paradox games multiplayer before but perhaps it's time to try. My biggest concern is the inability to pause at any time and adjust the game speed based on how much stuff is going on.

It would be interesting to have a game run for 24 hours and have random people join and leave at any given time. It would make things more dynamic.

How many people can play at the same time before it starts to lag or become unstable?

I've never played any Paradox games multiplayer before but perhaps it's time to try. My biggest concern is the inability to pause at any time and adjust the game speed based on how much stuff is going on.

Usually the MP speed is set at 3 bars. Sometimes it is lowered to 2 bars when there are big wars going on.

On average, in EU3, you can cover around 25 years in 4 hours. So in 4 sessions you can cover 100 years.