Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 32 - The more the merrier!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
*Insert generic complaint about having to use Steam here*

Standalone Server
As is the case with all serious multiplayer games, EU4 comes with the option for standalone servers. This program allows you to run an instance of EU4 that is simply a server of game-mechanics with no graphical interface, or player playing on it.

As I understand, we will have the better of both world :
- Steam network for ease of use, no NAT setup.
- Standalone server for LAN, advanced users or when Steam has issues. Maybe too for using mods which will require server modification.

A little analogy : I play only play Minecraft on a server, even if alone, when the server is on my own PC. It adds more flexibility.

As I understand, we will have the better of both world :
- Steam network for ease of use, no NAT setup.
- Standalone server for LAN, advanced users or when Steam has issues. Maybe too for using mods which will require server modification.

A little analogy : I play only play Minecraft on a server, even if alone, when the server is on my own PC. It adds more flexibility.

LOL. Yeah, I have no problem with Steam, but for some reason people start getting angry whenever the name is mentioned.

This is really extremely good, especially the AI takeover addition where it won't completely screw up your nation anymore. Well done. That's all I can say.

My first experience with CKII online was something like this: 5 people wanting to play online,after 2 hours of port fowarding and failed attempts, we had 5 sad people playing single player.

I understand some of the hate towards steam, DRM, its restrictions etc but I think it is justifiable for amount of good features (and less headache) that steam can offer.

Last edited:
I've never played multiplayer in any Paradox game, and initially I doubted EU4 would be any different. None of my real life or even online friends play Paradox games which is largely why I never really bothered to try it. Though after hearing all about EU4's multiplayer it sounds really intriguing, I'll definitely be giving it a try.

Does this mean that the whole game will only be playable via Steam?

Would be cool if you could start the game without even knowing who is playing who.So you might be trying to get Burgundy in PU with France, only to realise that Burgundy and Austria are human players, and have decided to team up against you :).Also playing with Russia you could be surprised to discover that Japan is unifiied and maybe westernized at the time you reached the Pacific.

Worst week of my life!... no Dr. Who, no Game of Thrones, and an EU4 DD I couldn't care less about, oh and the stock market tanking. At least it's a long weekend.

My first experience with CKII online was something like this: 5 people wanting to play online,after 2 hours of port fowarding and failed attempts, we had 5 sad people playing single player.

I understand some of the hate towards steam, DRM, its restrictions etc but I think it is justifiable for amount of good features (and less headache) that steam can offer.

Yes!