Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 32 - The more the merrier!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Playing on Mac and not having access to beta patches prevented me from playing MP in EU3. Now with support from Paradox for Mac and these features, I will definitely play MP.

To be honest, everytime I read the word "Steam" I get goosebumps, because in every other game I played with it it totally sucked; crashes, connection bugs, you name them.

The thought to play the beloved EU4 on that luckycharm-powered net engine is not appealing at all.

That said, it looks like you put a lot of efforts on it, to make it playable and enjoyable (even overcoming some of EU3 MP issues), and given the time you still have, I think you can manage it to work properly.

Good luck, and please keep up the good work :)!

Hm, so with standalone servers will we be able to play even when Steam logging in servers are offline? (<- Somewhat a problem for me, they choose to restart their servers when I play games. :D)
Or will we be able to play EU4 MP without launching the game from Steam client, but from it's folder directly?

Will we be able to have standalone server with older version in case of update that breaks savegames/mods?

Last edited:
Despite all the dislike for Steam, thanks for using their multiplayer function. It's so amazingly much easier to just invite people off your friends list than tryin to get everyone into the same bloody room which half of them can't even see...

My main concern is with the usability of mods in multiplayer, though, as Civilization V set a very, VERY bad precedent there...

Last edited:
As all who have played a game over the internet can testify, shit does happen. Sometimes you lose your internet connection, sometimes you lose power, sometimes the game even crashes.

Chuck Norris doesn't lose internet connection, the internet connection loses him.

Will it use the totally annoying region-based matchmaking from The Showdown Effect? I basically can't play the game right now, as I can't find a server in South America, and even in games where it's easy to find (CS:GO comes to mind) it's still very annoying.

To be honest, everytime I read the word "Steam" I get goosebumps, because in every other game I played with it it totally sucked; crashes, connection bugs, you name them.

The thought to play the beloved EU4 on that luckycharm-powered net engine is not appealing at all.

The lucky charm-powered engine was the old one :) Someone on reddit even commented:
"Does that mean it's finally playable for people who don't want to spend 2h to set the game up, then rehost every 10min because it went out-of-sync?"

I imagine some people might just drop into to a country in one of the full-time servers, declare war on everyone possible (Or something else annoying), and drop out leaving the AI to wreak havoc or be destroyed for no reason... I'm sure plenty of annoying things like this could happen. Other than that, it looks great, thanks paradox! :)
That sort of thing would never happen in real life, said someone circa 1939. The destabilizing for of a random douche bag could cause great havoc and great opportunities for smaller nations, player and AI.

Will it use the totally annoying region-based matchmaking from The Showdown Effect? I basically can't play the game right now, as I can't find a server in South America, and even in games where it's easy to find (CS:GO comes to mind) it's still very annoying.

Though I find the region-based community split very annoying but somewhat understandable, you do know you can change your location right? I believe overally, it is more a region-based + friends split though.

Sounds good. It would be fun to play as a competing AI nation in someone else's game, if only for a few hours...long enough for a war, certainly.

Yeah it would be pretty cool that if one of your main rivals, how have been pushing you and keeping you from becoming overly strong collapses. You can then allow someone to come in and make a new nation rise from the formers ashes. Just long enough to create a strong new empire so the AI can take over afterwards and challenge you again. Or even to come in as the strongest AI nation & battle you till you can't take no more. The leave & see if you can rebuild your empire enough to defend from AI. Lot's of possibilities.