Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 31 - A Point of Honor

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
they'll probably do something close to divine wind, where edo is a one-province state under the emperor's control, and the rest are ... "vassals" of the emperor

You probably mean Kyoto (since Edo was an insignificant village in 1444), but the screenshot seems to show JAP with at least two provinces.

I am really happy about having a scoring system in EU4. Since I started playing Victoria 2 I have loved seeing my nation slowly climb into Secondary Power status and eventually into the top 8 Great Powers. This system isn't as robust as that it seems but very good for me none the less!

What about westernization? Will there be an event of some sort? The requirement for having western neighbour seems problematic as with all island nations.
well, considering the whole meiji-restoration civil war thing ... :laugh:

You probably mean Kyoto (since Edo was an insignificant village in 1444), but the screenshot seems to show JAP with at least two provinces.
well... I was actually intending to say yamashiro (ie. the more period-approriate name for that region), but in the process of changing it to the more-contemporary kyoto the word that popped into my head was Kanto (the region where tokyo is in), and thus Edo/Tokyo :laugh:

I'm disappointed to see that score depends on fleet size and army size. First, it seems like it should depend on strength rather than size. If I have a comparatively small but advanced army that can crush a Chinese horde, I should have a higher rank. Further, I'm not particularly interested in having to churn out ships and units that aren't strategically relevant just so I can boost my score.

Japan is now about 28 provinces in EU4, with the provinces of Hokkaido and Sakhhalin uncolonized in the 1444 start date.

I strongly object to Sakhalin being called "Japan". Sakhalin is part of Russian Federation. It was not colonized by Japan as of game start date, its native population is not Japanese, and it has never been entirely controlled (rather than claimed) by Japan throughout history, except a brief period in 1920-1925.

The top 10 nations in each field earns points, with the number of points dependant on your rank in each category...

Since the game recognizes these positions, would it be possible to script conditional events or triggered modifiers around them? Could I, for instance, make an event that may only fire for the top diplomatic nation? Or are there no hooks to that effect?

Bonus question: Have you salvaged the Daimyo events from Divine Wind? Can Japan still convert to Catholicism through events?

Thanks!

I strongly object to Sakhalin being called "Japan". Sakhalin is part of Russian Federation. It was not colonized by Japan as of game start date, its native population is not Japanese, and it has never been entirely controlled (rather than claimed) by Japan throughout history, except a brief period in 1920-1925.

The Russian Federation? Oh... you mean the Golden Horde? :p

In 1444, Sakhalin is an empty province, modern claims are quite off topic. It may end up Japanese, Chinese or Byzantine. Time will tell what happens in your game :)

Don't forget that at the beginning of the game Russians are nowhere near it.

Will head of united Japan be called Emperor or Shogun? It made little sense in DW for Shogun to proclaim himself Emperor when unifying japan. They would have keept puppet Emperors, as Tokugawa historically did.
I guess default title for japanese culture monarch will be Shogun from now, and not Emperor as it was.

Joy, Nationalists!

They did try to settle it before any other regional power though. It's not unrealistic that they will be the first to settle it in EU4 either, more successfully than in history.

Or perhaps we should base the status of all regions in EU4 on the modern day situation.

I am most bothered that Johan misspelt 'Honour' in the title. Clearly the Podcat Illuminati has infiltrated and corrupted the poor Johan to use a bastardised and a lesser version of English.

There was no misspelling. Honor/Honour is the same word, much like color/colour is. And if you really get down to it, 'Honor' is probably the better way to spell it as the word's origins are Latin. There is no 'u' in the Latin word for 'honor', which happens to be 'honor'. So this 'bastardised and a lesser version of English' basically is just righting a syntax wrong adopted some time during the age of middle English. This probably happened after the Norman conquest of England, as some of the old French words for honor had 'u's in them. Same can be said of color, who's Latin spelling was 'color', and old French spelling had a 'u'.

Thy precious hoity toity 'greater' English spelling is actually likely French in origin. ;)

I'm disappointed to see that score depends on fleet size and army size. First, it seems like it should depend on strength rather than size. If I have a comparatively small but advanced army that can crush a Chinese horde, I should have a higher rank. Further, I'm not particularly interested in having to churn out ships and units that aren't strategically relevant just so I can boost my score.

I too am unsure about this new scoring system. Especially if/when applied to multiplayer games, as I can imagine this being manipulated as well as not accurately representing any given nation's true power in the hands of a human.

Will have to see it in action though to be sure if my initial gut skepticism is with merit.

Well, nice to see Japan got a lot of attention, since in both EU3 and Vicky (and Sengoku...) it's one of the funniest nations to play.

The scoring system also looks interesting, I'm sure it will bring the MP debates to new lows ;).

(it's not your fault if players ask such a feature, though I agree that it does not fit very well to a game designed from the start to be a sandbox)

Looking forward to the next DD! Keep up the good work!

Surprised I'm the first person to mention those NIs! 25% discipline right off the bat, that has to be one of the biggest gamechangers we've seen so far! I suppose it's ameliorated by the fact that Japan isn't going to be making any moves overseas for quite some time. I hope Japan is fun to mess around in, I always wanted it to be something like playing a HRE minor but with just a bit more freedom to go annexing your neighbours for looking at you funny :p