Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 31 - A Point of Honor

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No. They're not included. Too insignificant.

Yamato may be a generic name name for culture_japanese, so a Pretender rebel could be a Yamato. That would indeed be awesome. Although, I wonder how EUIV will deal with dynasty, whether the name of the state will change upon dynasty changes and republicisation...

Considering there's 28 whole provinces just for Japan, I wonder what the balance in East Asia will be once Japan unites itself. I don't see any regional powers able to stop it once Ming starts fracturing.

I bet every MP game is going to ignore score, just as happened in EU2 ;)

That said, a bigger Japanese mess can only make more fun, DW seemed to say 'Japan should be messy' but then uniting it was more a chore than really interesting, as you just had to beat a handful of countries once, and after that it was a matter of mopping them up.

My Demon Prince will not only unite Japan, but all of Asia!

Seriously guys kudos on the score system. My favorite part of it is that you constantly gain points. You can't just do an end rush and suddenly go for 70th to 1st. Which makes since, I mean if England is near 1st for most of the game and then a player controlled Japan finally takes the lead, who had the more glorious empire during that whole time?

Anyway this is very exciting news.

Considering there's 28 whole provinces just for Japan, I wonder what the balance in East Asia will be once Japan unites itself. I don't see any regional powers able to stop it once Ming starts fracturing.

There's over 40 provinces in Japan in DW.

Yes, but it seems like the devs have put in much more effort to have Japanese unification far likelier, unlike in DW, where it was common to see the Taira/Minamoto/Fujiwara/Tachibana still duking it out amongst themselves even near the game's end.

I'm really excited about the scoring system. Scoring was one of my favourite aspects in Victoria 2 because it pushed me to compete against myself to do better from game to game.

So is the Emperor represented at all, even if unplayable? I notice the Shogunate is referred to as "the royal seat" which I suppose is not quite correct.
they'll probably do something close to divine wind, where edo is a one-province state under the emperor's control, and the rest are ... "vassals" of the emperor

So is the Emperor represented at all, even if unplayable? I notice the Shogunate is referred to as "the royal seat" which I suppose is not quite correct.

If the Emperor isn't a sovereign in Kyoto anymore, he'll probably still be represented in events. They did say they kept all of the events from EU3, I think.

I don't care about scoring systems, but DW had something I liked much more... achievements. Sadly, this died when paradox connect died. Sknce EU4 will be tied to Steam, will we see them back? I like in-game long term goals, and achievements sort of filled that role.

I don't care about scoring systems, but DW had something I liked much more... achievements. Sadly, this died when paradox connect died. Sknce EU4 will be tied to Steam, will we see them back? I like in-game long term goals, and achievements sort of filled that role.

I'm pretty sure I saw a dev post saying they plan to have achievements.

So which clans are included?

From the OP screenshot, there seems to be the Otomo, Ouchi, Hosokawa, Yamana, Shiba, Imagawa, Hatakeyama, Takeda, Uesugi, and Date for the 1444 start. Probably the Shimazu as well (SW Kyushu is cut off, but there seems to be another clan there and Shimazu would make the most sense.)

So, Japan TAG is not controlled by the emperor but by the Shogun? The emperor is not rapresented? a Daimyo can become the new shogun? if yes, only through war? And when you unify Japan, your ruler will be your daymio or appear the name of the emperor?

they'll probably do something close to divine wind, where edo is a one-province state under the emperor's control, and the rest are ... "vassals" of the emperor

Japan proper – the royal seat if you will - is a government form called a "Shogunate"

Seems that Japan here rapresent the shogun, so if a clan become the shogun is tag switch to japan, but maybe is only possible become japan when you defeat the previous shogun, conquering at least 15 provinces, but at that point probably the shogunate is over and the other daymios are indipendent, but i'm not sure, is a my interpretation.

A daimyo can form Japan if the Shogunate has fallen and the Daimyo controls 15 provinces. This transforms them into a Feudal Monarchy, and all remaining daimyos change to monarchies as well.

This is going to be so much fun. A little HRE with samurai. :)

Since Japan was historically united under a single shogun during the period of EU4, we need to have ways for that to happen.

There was only a nominal Shogunate during the 1467-1568 period (during which the "shoguns" were mere puppet of a more powerful warlord). Is this reflected in game (meaning if i pick a start date between these 2 dates, there would be no actual shogun in place ?)

While I'm never a fan of reducing the number of provinces in an area, I suppose that the bonuses to taxes and manpower make up for that. Looks interesting. Has a good chance of being my second eastern power to play.

And there was no shogun between 1573 and 1603, so how will thigns work then? Also, I assume that unlike DW the control will actually change over the start times, with a proper Japan after 1600/1603 ish?