Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 31 - A Point of Honor

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
the graphic is really neat...

Mmmmh. Beyond the beaten-dead-horse point of the Sakoku being an NI for an highly Innovative Japan as well, will their almost complete modernization before the Sakoku be modelled? I can't see a way for Japan to have armies as modern as the European ones in 1600, as they wouldn't border a core province as needed to westernize - but they did, and in many fields because of parallel progress, not mimicry.

Are you entirely sure? Wasn't the Meji Restoration in the 1850s/1860s when Japan modernized and industrialized its infrastructure and military?

What happens exactly when Japan is attacked?

The map is simply awesome.

Are you entirely sure? Wasn't the Meji Restoration in the 1850s/1860s when Japan modernized and industrialized its infrastructure and military?

Yes, it modernized once and for all in the 19th century; but there had been an heavy push toward modernization between 1570 and 1620, ended by the politic of Sakoku used as a NI, that had brought Japan (or, better, the Shogunate and the Daimyos) to a level more or less equal to Europe. The Battle of Sekigahara, in 1600 was fought with a great use of the so called "tanegashima", the Japanese matchlock, and a quarter of the invasion army sent in Korea were arquebusiers. The country closed itself to external influences later on, but that period had given Japan a chance at becoming a modern Pacific and Asian power three centuries before schedule.

so is there any way to unite japan as a whole while a daimyo and the others joining you without necessarily having to vassalize and annex them yourself and/or destory the Edo-capital? For example, if the Date control the the whole of Honshu, and the rest of japan are vassal clans of Date, can't they just "inherit" Japan instead of having to conquer the shogunate-capital, "become"/re-form Japan and be a feudal monarchy and manually inherit the others?

Good for Japan! Now they are on my "play as nation" list. On the other hand I don't like the scoring system, I just have bad memories from EU2 (and FtG that I'm currently playing). Anyways I hope it will work out well.

Japanese awesomeness indeed! One thing is not clear to me: will we be able to play as a Daimyo, as the current Shogun or as the Emperor? Technically, the Head of State in medieval Japan was the Emperor and this is supposed to be the overlord in the Chrysanthemum Throne, nonetheless he was only a figurehead back then.

Japan looks great, really like the extra attention its been given!

The scoring system seems like an awesome idea, but doesn't getting 0 score outside the top ten in each field seem a little harsh?
Would have thought 0 below the top 20 would seem better? Only the top 10 means there's no way of measuring performance for smaller nations earlier in the game.

Thanks for the update!

Very interesting! Would it theoretically be possible for a daimyo (the state and/or provinces) in southern Japan to abandon their traditional beliefs and convert to Catholic if they end up being found by western Europeans at some point?

Looks interesting, certainly an improvement over it's EU3 incantation. Hopefully crushing Japan and putting it under my iron boot will be less of the PITA it was in EU3 due to its system. :p

I've seen it quite a few times now: Bourdeaux. What's with the extra u? I've never seen it spelled anywhere other than Bordeaux.
Thinking it's a typo, it's spelled Bordeaux in French, English and Swedish, so don't see anywhere you could've gotten the extra "u" from.

I've seen it quite a few times now: Bourdeaux. What's with the extra u? I've never seen it spelled anywhere other than Bordeaux.
It's not a mistake.

Bourdeaux was the former name of Bordeaux, and it kept it until very late.
It was named like this because it's first name was Burdigala. And the latin "u" is very close to the "ou" in French.
For example, here (1642) or here (169x)

It's only in the late XVIIIth century that the name was changed, like here in a Cassini map.