Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 31 - A Point of Honor

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ottomans start in asia, derp, asia minor.
"east Asian", not "Asian". (Oh, and in any event the House of Osman moved its capital to Europe during the reign of Murad I, over 70 years before the start of EU4.)

Glad to see someone outside of Europe is getting rather a lot of attention. I now wonder how China will be handled, given that it is... well, China. (Or any other of the major Asian states from around this time)

dissapointed that the new system is about points scoring! meh, seriously was hoping for an interesting new mechanic about warfare or colonisation.... points scoring :(

Yeah, this "xxx not-yet announced feature" turned out quite underwhelming.
But the game shall be epic anyway, and I'm fairly certain we'll enjoy roaming the map for countless hours yet again. And then the mods will roll in, and we'll never see the light of day ever again. As usual. :)

so most games will end with a unified Japan.
And one of the biggest problems with EU3 Divine Wind was that most games ended with either an annexed Japan, or a fragmented one.

Most games of EU4 ending with a unified Japan would be such a colossally huge improvement that I don't understand why you're complaining about the prospect.

From the sticky:
"You declare war with a casus belli (like EU) and a war goal (like Victoria) and if you fulfill your wargoal your warscore ticks up (like CK II) up to another 20%"

Ticking WS for defeating England's objective or achieving your own, plus battle WS for eating England's expeditionary forces, should take you past the stabhit threshold (I'm assuming it's still in).

I read the DD and info about ticking WS, I am pretty familiar with it, just ended a V2 game.

In that particular V2 game, I used the beta, where ticking WS has a cap based upon the size of the claimed land, for instance.

If you play Japan and fight China, managing to hold Manchuria is 20% give or take a little, but if you fight Russia and hold the Kurils you get a 4% max.

I was tormented by the continuous suicidal UK expeditions, who forced me to divert precious resources of land, sea and research point for tech race just to avoid a total blockade that would nullify completely the 4% bonus of the Kurils (Full blockade is around 18%). Totally boring game.

All the tale above to say that the blockade system is OP, and they should definitely do something about it.

I don't know what's worse among the player abusing of the "ticking WS without the cap" or the AI navy abusing of micromanaging like the fog of war did not exist, causing more annoyance than else. Actually, I think the latter is worse.

My only concern is the fact that the number of Daimyos will probably only go down with time (i.e. no new ones will emerge and none will break into pieces), so most games will end with a unified Japan.
Well, most games should end with a unified Japan, so I don't think it's really a problem.

And one of the biggest problems with EU3 Divine Wind was that most games ended with either an annexed Japan, or a fragmented one.

Most games of EU4 ending with a unified Japan would be such a colossally huge improvement that I don't understand why you're complaining about the prospect.

Well I said "concern", not "terrible problem". Not something to be worried about. It's just that I think Japan being united may end up feeling a bit predestined. Like France dominating Europe or England eating Scotland pre-DW.

The unification of the country should happen to almost >90% of games. This is the evolution of a nation and it makes sense, as it makes sense to move from a feudal style of government to a more centralized one. The unification of the country under a single Shogun in 1600 was almost unavoidable. You cannot keep the "Sengoku Jidai" ("the age of the country at war!") forever...

You cannot expect to resist foreigners and aggressors or even vie for glory if it is not unified sometime in the EU4 time. What I hope to see, though, is the ability to play with a different vassal (Daimyo) and have him win, not only the Tokugawa clan.

Japan was technically already one state anyways, at least for several centuries, the age of war was a civil war after all, and all civil wars have to end sometime.

Really love that Japan is getting so much attention, and I like that the amount of provinces were cut down a little, it felt very cluttered in DW. That said, I hope the rest of East Asia will have been getting a nice overhaul as well, which by paradox comments it seems like it has. A bit surprised to see Japan having no Naval Ideas though, I know it had tons of land infighting, but it's still an island chain, once united you would imagine a bigger focus on the navy as opposed to the army. Then again it gives more of a character to the nation, if you compare to England with same tech and all, you would have a stronger army, be harder to invade, be better at continental wars, but having less trading and having less power projection.

Of course ;)

Its a pretty obvious reference ;)

Funny, reminds me how my first character was meant to be RP'd as a Thalmor infiltrator. Sadly turned out no story paths allowed this to happen. Been killing them ever since.
Think there are some mods that allow you to join them, but nothing in the original game. You elf nazi! :p I started out neutral towards them, but with each condescending insult I got closer to the edge until eventually I had had enough. :rolleyes:

Really love that Japan is getting so much attention, and I like that the amount of provinces were cut down a little, it felt very cluttered in DW. That said, I hope the rest of East Asia will have been getting a nice overhaul as well, which by paradox comments it seems like it has. A bit surprised to see Japan having no Naval Ideas though, I know it had tons of land infighting, but it's still an island chain, once united you would imagine a bigger focus on the navy as opposed to the army.
It's pretty historical though. Japanese never really focused on navy more than moving from one island to the other, which bit them big time when they tried to invade China and Korea.

Speaking of navy, I wonder how the Wokou pirates will be handled, if at all. They were pretty important in Sino-Korean-Japanese relations, and all these states devoted a ton of resources into fighting them. Not to mention Coxinga had relations with them (I think his family had origins with thw Wokou?)

Speaking of navy, I wonder how the Wokou pirates will be handled, if at all. They were pretty important in Sino-Korean-Japanese relations, and all these states devoted a ton of resources into fighting them. Not to mention Coxinga had relations with them (I think his family had origins with thw Wokou?)

In EU3 there were provincial decisions that the Chinese could make weren't they? Given that provincial decisions are being taken away is there anything wrong with using the same mechanic for them that is used for Caribbean Pirates (with maybe some events to start them off)?

Regarding Navies, I hope that galley navies are worth sensible amounts of points - at least at the start of the game. Otherwise half of Venice's national ideas look a bit sad.

KhMER dominion? Filthy Thalmor scum! Besides, Sakhalin has been an important canton of Switzerland ever since their secret expedition in 1376.
yes Khmer dominion ,when you own most of southeast Asia ,northern Japan and half of China "Kingdom"just don't quite cut it .and no it was not a Skyrim reference .

It's pretty historical though. Japanese never really focused on navy more than moving from one island to the other, which bit them big time when they tried to invade China and Korea.

Hmmm i read a book about that English navigator guy who crash landed in Japan, according to that book the Japs had a navy, lots of trade and even military vessels, however most of them were galleys (with oars) and not very big, the dominant characteristic was that they werent made for deep seas sail (even the smallest storm would sink them away from land), they were made for sailing between islands. Again, according to that book, the English navigator (who grew up in Bristol? shipyard) ended up making western style ship imitations for a certain daimyo, and these imitation ships were capable of going pretty much anywhere the contemporary English and Portuguese ships were able to, its just that Japanese werent interested in going anywhere.

Hmmm i read a book about that English navigator guy who crash landed in Japan, according to that book the Japs had a navy, lots of trade and even military vessels, however most of them were galleys (with oars) and not very big, the dominant characteristic was that they werent made for deep seas sail (even the smallest storm would sink them away from land), they were made for sailing between islands.

For Trade on the Western Pacific Sea, people didn't need European-style ships. But it didn't mean they waren't interested in foreign trade.

As for Wokou, they were private free traders and pirates, after all, and there was no Japanese navy in this era, but allied navy of daimyos.

I think a unique NI "Tosen-Bugyo" can represent Japanese trade focused policy in that period well.

Last edited:
Is there a system (I haven't read about one) that allows players to adopt these forms of government for their own nation? I imagine an England where duchies are released but still under a central English government. Like vassals but with the ability to conduct their own small wars on one another, among other things.