Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 27 - An offer you can't refuse

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Diplos as spies is an interesting idea. So now not everyone will be able to incite a revolt or infiltarte administration, but only the ones having the appropriate ideas? Okay, this is gonna be interesting. Fewer annoying sponsored revolts during big wars.
Rebels can still be supported by anyone (Although your success rate might be very low).

Btw, considering the scarcity of diplomats, will the improvement of relations between countries be the same old tedious process we had in EU1, EU2 and EU3?
No, they reworked relations.
Check this dev. diary about it.

I've got to say, unrelated to the actual dev diary's info, that the new graphics for the interface don't look so good for a EU game. EU always had an elegance and style to it, and it brought the Modern Era vibe to the screen.

EU IV, on the contrary, seems to have a very generic fantasy game interface. I'm somewhat disappointed by this. I notice the artist is probably the same that worked on the CK interface, and even there he made some bad calls (some good calls too, like the stained glass buttons)

I've got to say, unrelated to the actual dev diary's info, that the new graphics for the interface don't look so good for a EU game. EU always had an elegance and style to it, and it brought the Modern Era vibe to the screen.

EU IV, on the contrary, seems to have a very generic fantasy game interface. I'm somewhat disappointed by this. I notice the artist is probably the same that worked on the CK interface, and even there he made some bad calls (some good calls too, like the stained glass buttons)

Hey, keep the the vulgar modern era far away from this game!

I think a good espionage mission would be to send your diplomat to a trade node in a neighboring county and for them to siphon of some money for you. However, i do like the DD on the whole

Great news, especially like the supporting of rebels thing, and that going into espionage will actually be a focused, specific strategy with high costs but also potentially high benefits. Things like this makes for a game that can be played in very different ways depending on NI and nation choice.

I'm quite pleased with this DD. Not only do the general changes sound good, but I also think the reworked "fabricate claims" and "support rebels" spy actions are wonderfully designed.

Interesting mod, as usual!

As about the map, did you use a Hungarian map or something? Hunyad I suppose it's Transylvania (Transilvania), Temes is Timis, Maros is Mures, Maramaros is Maramures, etc.
You named them like this for historical accuracy (maybe this is how they were internationally known back then), or it was simply that you didn't know about the current names of those regions?

Rumourmongering - that's not a real word!

only one.

does that mean that you potentially could game the system in MP by fundering the largest rebel group in your allied countries with a very little sum to prevent your enemies from financing the same rebel group with a way larger amount? Or can you snatch the funding of a rebel group by giving more than your funding competitor ?

EDIT: i assume that funding is something done over time and not a single payment.

fabricate claims on province that share a seazone with one of your provinces

I remember complaining about Genoa not being able to use some of the cool conquest CBs against Tunisia back in the EU3 days even though it was a short hop to Tunis from Sardinia, and the answer was that it's not possible to trace this kind of stuff over water, the way sea zones are implemented in the game.

Apparently in EU4 yes we can. :)

Interesting mod, as usual!

As about the map, did you use a Hungarian map or something? Hunyad I suppose it's Transylvania (Transilvania), Temes is Timis, Maros is Mures, Maramaros is Maramures, etc.
You named them like this for historical accuracy (maybe this is how they were internationally known back then), or it was simply that you didn't know about the current names of those regions?

My guess is that they'll use the same system as in CK2. Provinces have different names depending on who (as in different cultures) owns it (something like CK2s: Hamburg when owned by a german culture nation or Hamborg when owned by north germanics (or was it just Denmark?)

Is the old fabricate claims that lets you demand a PU in EU4 in some form? (apart from claim throne)