Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 25 - Anna Karenina

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The name would've been different if it had been founded in a different city, so actually calling it the Kalmar Union in-game doesn't really make much sense. Scandinavia works well.

But if the Kalmar Union exists from the start, as it did in 1444. Then Scandinavia should be called the Kalmar Union. All later attempts to re-unite Scandinavia by either Sweden or Denmark, are IRL referred to as attempts to restore the Kalmar Union

The english adjective would be Nordic, Norse or Scandinavian.

Last edited:
But if the Kalmar Union exists from the start (as it did in 1444). Then Scandinavia should be called the Kalmar Union. All later attempts to re-unite Scandinavia by either Sweden or Denmark, are IRL referred to as attempts to restore the Kalmar Union

The adjective would be Nordic or Scandinavian.
Ah right, forgot the Kalmar Union already existed in 1444.
Though it would be best represented by personal unions, since that's what it was. Perhaps with some decision to actually unite it if some strict conditions are met (in which case it could be called Kalmar Union).
Scandinavian is a more fitting adjective than Nordic. Finland really wasn't well represented in the union after all.

Ah right, forgot the Kalmar Union already existed in 1444.
Though it would be best represented by personal unions, since that's what it was. Perhaps with some decision to actually unite it if some strict conditions are met (in which case it could be called Kalmar Union).
Scandinavian is a more fitting adjective than Nordic. Finland really wasn't well represented in the union after all.

After 1448 (Christoffer's death) it should be represented by personal unions. However, during the reign of Erik of Pommerania and Christoffer of Bavaria it should be a real Union/State (eventhough it is heavily decentralized during Christoffer's reign).

Scandinavian is as good an adjective as Nordic or Norse. But Finland was an integrated part of Sweden just as Iceland was an integrated part of Norway during the Kalmar Union era.

After 1448 (Christoffer's death) it should be represented by personal unions. However, during the reign of Erik of Pommerania and Christoffer of Bavaria it should be a real Union/State (eventhough it is heavily decentralized during Christoffer's reign).

Scandinavian is as good an adjective as Nordic or Norse. But Finland was an integrated part of Sweden just as Iceland was an integrated part of Norway during the Kalmar Union era.
I'd argue it was far too decentralized to be considered a single state. The Treaty of Kalmar left each country's legal structure in place after all. They even had separate parliaments/councils.
And keeping it as a single state for a mere four years (plus/minus some based on when Christoffer dies) would be a bit silly.

I'd love it if you could request a country to be released directly as your vassal and under a PU with you, or at least ruled by your dynasty. It happened alot in the time frame. And PU's are great for roleplaying.. and for getting primed provinces without the need to build up everything from scratch on your own..!

I'd argue it was far too decentralized to be considered a single state. The Treaty of Kalmar left each country's legal structure in place after all. They even had separate parliaments/councils.
And keeping it as a single state for a mere four years (plus/minus some based on when Christoffer dies) would be a bit silly.

There could be an event firing on the 5 January 1448 (Death of Christoffer of Bavaria), which gives the player/AI an option to chose between Karl Knutsson Bonde and Christian von Oldenburg as Union Kings.

- If the player support Karl Knutsson Bonde then the capital moves to Stockholm, all Danish provinces are lost to Danish rebels and a strong pretender King called Christian von Oldenburg leads a huge rebel army in Copenhagen.

- If the player support Christian von Oldenburg, then all Swedish provinces are lost to Swedish rebels and a strong pretender King called Karl Knutsson Bonde leads a huge rebel army in Stockholm.

If the Kalmar Union player isn't able to quickly defeat the pretender rebels and reconquer the revolting provinces, then either Denmark or Sweden (depending on which King the player/AI supported) will break out of the Union.

If it is Sweden that is seceding, then the Kalmar Union (SCA) will change tag to Denmark (DEN) and if it is Denmark that is seceding, then SCA will change tag to Sweden (SWE). I think this would add some really good historic objectives and what-if options early in the game. Later on the player/AI can attempt to restore the Kalmar Union, if certain objectives are met.

Last edited:
@grommile Correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC, there were different annexation rules in EUIII depending on things like CB, e.g. you could annex whole countries regardless of size if they were pagan using "Colonial Conquest", but it wouldn't work in case of European countries.
You may be thinking of older versions. Starting with 4.1 there is no hard limit on the number of provinces in an annexed country as long as their total warscore value is no more than 100. Of course warscore values can vary depending on the CB used among other things.

Just realised how much I would like France to have this flag in EU4

FRA_monarchy.png

It's so much awesomer than EU3 version.