Europa Universalis IV Developer diary 20 - A Tale of Two Cities

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm necro-ing this Dev Diary because I'm concerned by the implication that I could lose all progress towards a diplo-annexation if I remove the diplomat from its target. It's been made clear that envoys are a precious resource in the game and in a hypothetical situation where I need all diplomats on deck, it seems like a travesty to lose decades of progress in order to use that moved diplomat for a mere month. Please, somebody tell me this isn't the case . . .

Its pretty obvious that thats how it work. But pulling a diplomat with decades of work behind him is a choice you make. If you do it, you can only blame yourself. Of course NOT taking that decision when you need to might be largely a product of sunk cost fallacy, but either way, whether you do it or dont, its your choice and yours alone.

If its any comfort, keep in mind the AI will be bound by the same limitation.

Its pretty obvious that thats how it work. But pulling a diplomat with decades of work behind him is a choice you make. If you do it, you can only blame yourself. Of course NOT taking that decision when you need to might be largely a product of sunk cost fallacy, but either way, whether you do it or dont, its your choice and yours alone.

I know it's a choice, but I don't want to feel like I'm forced into it. What's the base amount of diplomats for any given nation, anyway?

IMO if you remove the diplomat you should lose progress at the same rate you normally progress

I know it's a choice, but I don't want to feel like I'm forced into it. What's the base amount of diplomats for any given nation, anyway?

IMO if you remove the diplomat you should lose progress at the same rate you normally progress

Yeah, and I'd like MPP to partially scale to nation size; we're both screwed. The baseline concept is built upon the premise of making the game more challenging at any cost; not fairer. I'm still pretty sure it'll rock, but lets not kid ourselves. The transition will suck at first.

What if your monarch dies and you lose a diplomat?

I agree with Sun Wu's proposal, have it decay if you remove the diplomat.
So the game does mark the progress of diplo-annexations? Heck, I'm chill with a decay rate, too, I just don't want a system that doesn't track progress at all.

Man, I really hope a base of 2 diplomats works out in practice, because that number's intimidating the crap out of me right now. :p