Europa Universalis IV Developer diary 19 – War has never been so much fun...

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
One question I have is will it be harder to maintain armies overseas?

In EU3 you commonly found armies of 20-30,000 in the AI's colonies. I remember one case when Trinidad was occupied by 30,000 Portuguese.

Will supply limits in distant overseas locations be much reduced? After all in history the American Revolution and other American wars were fought with tiny armies compared with Europe, something which never happened in EU3.

There are various things that increase minimum attrition no matter what. A nation with full defensive ideas inflict 1% attrition on all hostile armies on its territory.

I like this idea. Does this mean smaller countries now have a small chance of survival as opposed to no hope at all (provided they select the right idea, have good generals, have mountainous terrain and lady luck on their side?) So no China blitzkrieging all over Tibet like it did in Victoria 2?

One question I have is will it be harder to maintain armies overseas?

In EU3 you commonly found armies of 20-30,000 in the AI's colonies. I remember one case when Trinidad was occupied by 30,000 Portuguese.

Will supply limits in distant overseas locations be much reduced? After all in history the American Revolution and other American wars were fought with tiny armies compared with Europe, something which never happened in EU3.

I think your ability to supply your troops overseas should be tied to your navy (and to your trade range also), just as the income you get out of colonies is tied to number of warships you have. That way we would not see 30k european stacks in India. Above your supply limit you should get a big amount of attrition, or reduced org.

We need a diary about Ottomans. (or Turkey)

1) How is that relevant to this dev diary? And 2) Do you believe that we would skip the Ottomans when we do dev diaries on all the other Tier 1 countries? :)

I see a couple of interesting traditions for Steppe hordes:

Encircling - Gives increased combat width on plains.

Nomadic lifestyle - Suffer lower levels of attrition. Pays no extra maintenance for reinforcing armies.

I like all of these changes. I have a question though. Will we still see some awkward situations where armies "retreat" deeper into enemy territory instead of their own? That could get pretty frustrating in EU3. Every once in a while an army would retreat forward into territory behind your lines, and they'd lead you on a wild goose chase.

I think your ability to supply your troops overseas should be tied to your navy (and to your trade range also), just as the income you get out of colonies is tied to number of warships you have. That way we would not see 30k european stacks in India. Above your supply limit you should get a big amount of attrition, or reduced org.

I agree and hope there will be mechanism to prevent, for example, an european country, to field great army in Africa, India, America before the last stage of the game.

Flanking Rules
In EU3, infantry could attack units in front of them, and directly to their sides, while cavalry had larger range. Now this has been expanded: a unit’s effective range depends on how many troops there are in that regiment. If you have 75% or more troops, you fight at full range, if between 50 and 75%, you fight at 50% maneuver range, and between 25% and 50% strength you can do 25% of your maneuver. This is always rounded down, so a regular infantry either have 0 or 1 range possible. However, there are technologies which increase your units’ range as the game progresses.

So a infantry regiment wont be able to fight when below 75%?

Or is zero range mean it can't flank?

I wanna beta test this, nau!!! :)

Cant wait.

Also can we have a screenshot of some area of the map that was reworked recently? If possible not in the terrain mod (political would be nice for once).

1) How is that relevant to this dev diary? And 2) Do you believe that we would skip the Ottomans when we do dev diaries on all the other Tier 1 countries? :)

This is why we wanted the Netherlands to be tier 1! ;)

The combat rules seem good, if slightly nebulous. But then I am one of those who thought that, in EU3, battles really didn't depend much on flanking or such. But I think the changes are good... though maybe not enough. But this may be hidden in other attrition mechanisms.

Many battles in the EU period seem to have ended in one army withdrawing and the other just besieging a fort or two before the other army was back; the current method still seems to allow the chasing method, and by increasing supply limits far from owned territory even support it... sure, you need to chase them for 3 provinces before you can engage them again, but historically I think a Dutch army couldn't possibly fight the French in Orleans just after defeating them in Flanders. They'd have to take over forts in the region in between them to get anywhere.

Yay, a pure mechanics dev diary. I hope there will be more of these and less of the nation specific ones as we draw closer to release. Oh yeah, the combat mechanics sounds like a nice improvement as well.

How will winter affect supply limits? I love higher supply limits for the attacker than in EU3 but I don't think it makes sense in cases such as invading Russia.