Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 18 - Part II - Colonisation Clarification

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Seeing that there is no longer one big horde, but instead lot of small ones, hordes will not be a problem anymore. Even if they would be in crude, unbalanced form as they are in Divine Wind.

But imo, Georgia should have level 2 forts all over their country, to balance the fact they will propably still border few strong hordes... It would make it harder to kill them for hordes.

oh. i forgot about the later start date! maybe this colonizing horde thing will work after all

Well I was ok with it, altough there were some things that annoyed me.One thing is that I was often seeing Bohemia or Austria snaking all the way to China, then you had those damn wars every 5 years, so your only solution was to conquer them or they will never stop attacking you.
One positive thing about mechanic and those constant wars was that Russian states were almost guaranteed to colonize Siberia, if they survive that is.I also never understood how come AI can vassalise hordes but I can't.
Hordes were great, and Russia was in good position indeed, unless Hordes managed to settle down, but they were nomands for thousands of years at that point, why would them settle down?
Yes, but that would mean that for a coloniser who's already limited by his gold, 5-6 colonial envoys are way too many
Since it costs you money to have colonies, and colonial envoys speed up their development to full cities requiring no maintenance, the more envoys you have, the more you can colonise for same amount of gold.

Nice to see this extra DD on Colonization. Let me guess the nations getting a bonus colonist are Castille > Spain and England > Great Britain > UK?

The thing I did not like about the horde colinization is oftentimes an ai country would occupy all of the Golden Horde, sit there for the entire game colonizing the entire area, and after a hundred years was touching the pacific ocean. This actually happenend in one of my games (well not my game, but my twins game, one of his first games. he was really put off by it. Autria was one big line from europe to the pacific ocean, by going through siberia and a beaten golden horde.) if they make it so you cannot sit and occupy all of a horde and just colonize it all as if you had a monopoly on the land, then i would be happy

This shouldn't be an issue anymore because EU4 starts in 1444 when the Golden Horde is already beaten up pretty badly by Moscow. It's probably likely that Moscow/Russia will be doing all of the horde squashing in EU4 and countries like Austria won't have the opportunity.

Nice to see this extra DD on Colonization. Let me guess the nations getting a bonus colonist are Castille > Spain and England > Great Britain > UK?

Looking at the respective DDs, UK/Spain don't get a colonist, but RUSSIA will. We know Portugal, Castille, England, and France won't have it, so my guess for the other one would be the Netherlands

Actually, one of them is known to be Russia, and it is certainly not Spain or, for that matter, Portugal (which two get other colonization-related bonuses). The other country with an extra colonist is likely to be another one which wouldn't take the Exploration idea group - probably England, though there is a case to be made for the Netherlands (but IIRC, their colonies are born of conquest), or maybe Denmark.

EDIT: England doesn't get one either, I've missed that one. It is Denmark or the Netherlands or something I have entirely forgotten. Oh, or Novgorod, if it doesn't use the generic Russian ideas (on account of beig a quite differently working nation).

Last edited:
Seeing that there is no longer one big horde, but instead lot of small ones, hordes will not be a problem anymore. Even if they would be in crude, unbalanced form as they are in Divine Wind.

But imo, Georgia should have level 2 forts all over their country, to balance the fact they will propably still border few strong hordes... It would make it harder to kill them for hordes.

Hmm, good point. Objection withdrawn :).

Actually, one of them is known to be Russia, and it is certainly not Spain or, for that matter, Portugal (which two get other colonization-related bonuses). The other country with an extra colonist is likely to be another one which wouldn't take the Exploration idea group - probably England, though there is a case to be made for the Netherlands (but IIRC, their colonies are born of conquest), or maybe Denmark.

EDIT: England doesn't get one either, I've missed that one. It is Denmark or the Netherlands or something I have entirely forgotten. Oh, or Novgorod, if it doesn't use the generic Russian ideas (on account of beig a quite differently working nation).

I don't want to nitpick, but basically all colonies are born out of conquest (it might be from other European nations or otherwise natives). The Dutch colonial empire was based on trade and initially driven by the VOC (United East Indian Company) and the WIC (West Indian Company); OTOH the VOC in it's early days did use force to acquire a monopoly, however that didn't make them unique in comparison with their other European counterparts.
If the Netherlands would get an extra colonist (I'm not convinced), it will have to be a merchant.

I don't want to nitpick, but basically all colonies are born out of conquest (it might be from other European nations or otherwise natives).
I meant conquest as in "from things that are countries in EU3" - unlike, say, most of Africa or the Eastern half of South America

One thing I'd like to be able to do is survey an area for resources before committing to a colony, so I can prioritize profitable regions... although historically there have been exploders who lied about what they found in order to get further royal patronage.