Europa Universalis IV Developer diary 15 - Et tu Brute?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Then again, if the USA was formed exactly as it did in history and republics start at 1% tradition, if one does not get to over 20% tradition within (4?) years that would automatically make George Washington a king with these mechanics. But we do not know how fast tradition can be gained anyway, so... oh well

Speaking offhand, one way of handling this could be an event popping up when you become a republic, asking if your glorious leader intends to rule for life - accepting would allow your initial revolutionary to rule for his lifetime, but with greatly reduced republican tradition gain, while refusing would let elections continue as normal.

One question, though - are election candidates still essentially random, or will past candidates and past doges come up again on the ticket later?

Are you guys planning anything special for Japan, or will I have to wait for an expansion?

Japan is always my favourite nation to play in all the Paradox games.

This has been confirmed numerous times; so yes.

A bit OT, but this DD triggered 2 questions in my mind:

1. Will Mercs be reworked? I know that Capt Gars had an excellent plan on how they should be fixed.

2. Will something be done to make different but contemporary unit types into actual choices among different capabilities? I can think of 2 ways this could work: (a) Have units more or less effective in certain situations, so there's a reason to pick Condottieri in Italy, but Landsneckts in Germany. (b) Vary the unit costs, in MP and/or ducats.
The latter could, ideally, be tied to what your national unit types are.

Svip, I think I heard there will be a NI for Ulm that accounts for the cultural works produced by the great composer Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern-Schplenden Schlittercrasscrenbon Burstein von Knackerthrasher Spelltinkel Grandlichgrumbelmeyer Spelterwasser Kurstlich Himbeleisen Bahnwagen Gutenabend Bitte-ein-Nürnburger Bratwustel Gerspurten mitz-Weimache Luberhundsfutgumberaber Schönedanker Kalbsfleisch Mittleracher von Hautkopf of Ulm.

what do you mean Milan will be a cockpit?

Well, Italy is shaped like a thigh-high boot. Think armpit, but worse :p

but there is no risk! You will know if it will revert! and what madman would, if he wants to stay republic, keep the same leader if he is under 20% tradition?!

It's not intended to create risk, it's intended to put a limit on the terms of individual elected leaders.

Then again, if the USA was formed exactly as it did in history and republics start at 1% tradition, if one does not get to over 20% tradition within (4?) years that would automatically make George Washington a king with these mechanics. But we do not know how fast tradition can be gained anyway, so... oh well

Perhaps republics formed by a revolt will start with a higher legitimacy than those formed by the king deciding to change governments?

The republic mechanic is interesting, although as already mentioned, the bar of reverting to a monarchy at below 20% Traditon shouldn't be set at one place. Instead, have the chance be calculated as greater with low tradition and lower with high tradition. That way, a player would simpily refuse to re-elect the leader should he or she knows how much Tradition there is.

Other than that, great entry about Milan. Let the Lombards reconquer Italy! :D

I really would like to see some depth to the Republics. While I like the concept of Republican tradition, its important to note that, in Venice (and other states), Doge's served for life, and they were no less a Republic for it (primarily due to their absurdly complex electoral process). I'll be very disappointed if all Republics have 4 year terms like EU3.

Oh, and everything look great, particularly that event window.

Fantastic DD! I can tell the team is really putting a lot of heart into this game. :)

I noticed that the screenshot refers to the ruler as "the Duke." Does that mean we finally get different title tiers or is everyone a "king" again, like in EU3?

Hah, finally republics wont be superstable - What about Republican Dictatorships / Bureaucratic Despotisms? Do they also get Republican Legitimacy? (I suppose some countries will have national ideas that give bonuses to republican tradition, like Switzerland, USA, or Venice)
Will all "fallen" republics change to Despotic Monarchy (its one of most primitve governments?), or depending on technology level some will change into Absolute Monarchies / Enlightened Despotisms