Europa Universalis IV Developer diary 15 - Et tu Brute?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The republican tradition is an interesting mechanic.
Will there be something new about theocracies too? I love playing knightly orders or the Papal State, they have a lot of rpg value imho.

Great diary. I'm wondering if it being possible to choose your leader in election means republican elections in Genoa and Venice are still not for life (every 4, 8 years etc.)? Ideally they should be for life, with a modifier specifying that the average age of doges should be well over 60, so that a range of 0-10 years of rule is the norm.

I understand a new republic being a bit unstable, but it seems like a stretch that one dude getting voted in twice early on means "Well **** this, might as well make him a king." USA didn't switch to monarchy just because Washington won a second term.

It only happens at very low tradition though. So unless your giving everyone double or even triple terms and not raising your tradition in other ways, you're not going to screw yourself over.

Actually, outside of the 1% a year and possible events, how else would you raise tradition? Advisors? Successful wars?

It only happens at very low tradition though. So unless your giving everyone double or even triple terms and not raising your tradition in other ways, you're not going to screw yourself over.

Actually, outside of the 1% a year and possible events, how else would you raise tradition? Advisors? Successful wars?

Then again, if the USA was formed exactly as it did in history and republics start at 1% tradition, if one does not get to over 20% tradition within (4?) years that would automatically make George Washington a king with these mechanics. But we do not know how fast tradition can be gained anyway, so... oh well

I understand a new republic being a bit unstable, but it seems like a stretch that one dude getting voted in twice early on means "Well **** this, might as well make him a king." USA didn't switch to monarchy just because Washington won a second term.

This is 15th century Europe and not the colonies, and besides; If you have a grand and stable republican tradition it will survive having the same leader for whole his life. There is a reason why you americans made a maximum regency length of 2 periods and 8 years for a president. Just to be on the sure side.

Then again, if the USA was formed exactly as it did in history and republics start at 1% tradition, if one does not get to over 20% tradition within (4?) years that would automatically make George Washington a king with these mechanics. But we do not know how fast tradition can be gained anyway, so... oh well

I can only guess that stuff like war victories gain you tradition. So in that example winning the independence war would increase the tradition enough to not matter.

Looks like a nice development for a small nation, very good job in my book ^^!

I look forward to play it as my first nation, looks like there will be plenty of different opportunities to play Milan.

This is 15th century Europe and not the colonies, and besides; If you have a grand and stable republican tradition it will survive having the same leader for whole his life. There is a reason why you americans made a maximum regency length of 2 periods and 8 years. Just to be on the sure side.

Actually, I think Americans can seek re-election after they step down after their 2 terms and wait a bit. I may be wrong though.

There were some who wanted him to stay on as President for life as a sort of Lord Protector Cromwell style and it could have happened under certain circumstances, like it did in France.

I hope the republican regression isn't always to despotic monarchy, could a dev clarify?

When William 3 came to power in the Netherlands, he instituted something more like a constitutional monarchy (which became a republic on his heirless death), and when William 4 came to power, it was more like an absolute monarch (or a different constitutional monarchy) than a medieval Despot.

In fact I'd think most monarchies founded by a republic weren't immediately despotic. A handful of Italian coups might have been, but certainly some of them instituted different forms of monarchy?

Cool stuff, both the promise of making playing in Italy more interesting and the Republican Tradition concept!

P.S. I really appreciated the description of the horrible Lombard climate!

Looks great, once again.

I too would wish to see the possibility for a republic turning to monarchy be somewhat open... depending on government tech and some policy decisions, we'd have an absolute, a constitutional, an administrative or a despotic monarchy...

Fantastic so Milan could become the "Ambrosian Republic"!

It will be merely a change of government or we the country change tag, too?
It should not have the Duky's flag but this flag to be historically correct:

125px-Flag_of_the_Ambrosian_Republic.png

Do you talk of a "special" type of Republic... how is this special?

Talking of the Republican Tradition is this affects Noble Republic, too?
In my opinion those are Republic only by name they elect a monarch, not an "official" of some sort... on the other hand "legitimacy" could not be correct in any way as we don't have a dynasty and the "King" is elected by the nobles so it is legitimated by them.

Maybe we could think the nobles could dethrone him in some circumstances or, on other hand, he could become so powerful to become really a "King" (the government changes to Monarchy).

P.S. I continue to have the doubt that Noble Republic elected its "King" any 4 years, is this really correct? The King of Poland (and after of the Commonwealth) was elected any 4 years of he was King for life? I suppose the latter...

Fantastic so Milan could become the "Ambrosian Republic"!

It will be merely a change of government or we the country change tag, too?

It chages government, not tag.

Are flags tied to tags, or is there a 'dynamic' system of Victoria's, where if a flag is defined for a tag and a government type, it will use that, but otherwise simply use the same flag for all government types?

The fact that you had to split up France and Revolutionary France in EU3 always bothered me.

Could it be possible for government changes to change the flag, and in some cases name? Could be a neat visual feature

In response to the DD; I'm really happy to see something new for republics, will definitely add some needed flavour to playing them.