Europa Universalis IV Developer diary 15 - Et tu Brute?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
what do you mean Milan will be a cockpit?

Italy is actually a giant Zeppelin airship built by the Papal-Communist Alliance Front in 895BC. It was initially unworkable until Jesus fixed it by turning some of the mechanisms upside down and rebooting the flight computer. Unfortunately, the secret was lost and the Zeppelin was forgotten. The control room was in Milan, and was rediscovered on 10/11/1444, although noone knew how to operate it. With enough Monarch points and the right territories, the player can harness the power of the behemoth and use it to dominate the world. Italy must be formed first of course, as the other states wouldn't like you moving their territory without them giving the ok.

Will this be a new casus beli (restore monarchy) against countries that change government, or does it only apply to Milan?

I have never played Milan because I am stuck with seeing them in a stereotype as being snobby merchants!

And why play them when one can play Genoa or something for more challenge...

but with all these unique events and triggers.. I will try it ;P

so, good job with all these unique things for these nations! Makes them worth playing, even for those who do not really care for those particular nations culture/history :)

Eh i still don't see why Milan is getting detail over Papal States....
But good addition none the less

I wish the Papal States were getting unique events and such too :*(

hopefully we can mod them in though! :)

Switzerland has to cross the Alps to do any damage, and this takes time.

Very nice. Could we get a glance on Austria next time? Also, warmongering Switzerland is a sort of thing that is very implausible if you make a game based a flavour.

Very nice. Could we get a glance on Austria next time? Also, warmongering Switzerland is a sort of thing that is very implausible if you make a game based a flavour.

hahah I can imagine Switzerland taking all of Italy right now!!! :p

what do you mean Milan will be a cockpit?

Merriam-Webster:
a : a pit or enclosure for cockfights
b : a place noted for especially bloody, violent, or long-continued conflict

I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of events to go around. Just because Milan is getting some does not mean that the Papal States isn't.

Well, we never know... because Papal States is on the same tier as Maldives for development!

but I hope you are right :p

EDIT:

(and you probably are) :D

I have never played Milan because I am stuck with seeing them in a stereotype as being snobby merchants!

And why play them when one can play Genoa or something for more challenge...

but with all these unique events and triggers.. I will try it ;P

so, good job with all these unique things for these nations! Makes them worth playing, even for those who do not really care for those particular nations culture/history :)

Milan is great. Probably one my favourite game ever in EU3. Small enough for a challenge. Big neighbours (Austria/France etc) to contend with. Fighting to be Emperor. Access to Med. Decent enough to make a trade empire. Possible to vassalise a merc republic and make them super powerful. etc.
Just as great in TW too! I enjoy trying to make my TW empire with Milan in EU3 (essential every coastal city from Venice to Jerusalem and a ring around the Black Sea.) Apart from Milan proper 0 inland provinces. Pretty fun actually. Now in EUIV, like you've said, they have some great unique qualities, plus as they are much weaker in 1443 they will be a significant challenge! Will be my plan in EUIV too! Though that will be much harder.

Why Rome is needed to form Italy? Historically Italy was formed without Rome and later conquered this city. ( Remember about heroic fight of Papal zuaves). If catholic wants to form Italy but don't want to fight with pope - he should have possiblity to unite Italy without Rome.

Uh, finally a really interesting and chanceful form of Republic!

Ah, can I guess that similar national ideas are used by southern Italians like Naples, too? Well, first of all, Naples will have to unify southern Italy + Rome and maybe Florence, yep? As Milan has tu unify northern Italy + Rome, as you said.

Why Rome is needed to form Italy? Historically Italy was formed without Rome and later conquered this city. ( Remember about heroic fight of Papal zuaves). If catholic wants to form Italy but don't want to fight with pope - he should have possiblity to unite Italy without Rome.

to stop it happening to often would be my guess.

I love Republican Tradition so far.
And I'm wondering, could it somehow grow in monarchies as well?
For instance if you go liberal and gradually abolish serfdom (not from sliders since those are gone, but with ideas or a shiny new mechanic we don't know yet about), people start getting ideas?
That way with low Republican Tradition in republics, one would tend to spawn monarchic rebels, but the contrary would work as well, with republican rebels spawning in monarchies with high Republican Tradition?

Merriam-Webster:
a : a pit or enclosure for cockfights
b : a place noted for especially bloody, violent, or long-continued conflict

Same site:

First Known Use of COCKPIT

A bit early, don't you think? (If only EU4 had a Middle English language option.)

The addition to republics seems a good idea, pretty cool that a long term republican leader can become king. Milan seems interesting to play, as as been in Eu III, plenty of possibilities, and I like the national ideas. It should be hard to keep Austria and France out of Italy, but doable, but I appreciate challenges like that.

The map looks very nice as well. However, if the country names are distorted by mountains etc as much a they are atm, it becomes uncomfortable to actually read them.

And to join some others here, could we soon have a DD about game elements instead of countries and small changes here and there? I'd very much like information on exploration and colonialization, please?