Europa Universalis IV Developer diary 13 – FREEEDOM!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
More likely France, Portugal or Spain. I doubt they would do two "features" DD in a row.

Hmmm while PLC was the example used to demonstrate the 'Government & Rebels' new interface I don't think this DD could be considered to be centred around PLC. So I don't think Johan means go west from PLC but go west in terms of the New World... I guess next week we will find out :D

Since in the EU series we play the country as a whole (or at least the shadowy powers that de facto control it), I hope you can change your government from Monarchy to Republic by supporting a 'Coup D'Etat' - it would be sily to intentionally let your country to be taken by rebels province after province, and a Coup is pretty much what a large change of government without civil war reprresents. Maybe it will be one of the options on the 'Handle Them!' button?

Oh, and I know it's quite early to ask this, but what about American revolutionaries? And, will the american nations be based on their geographic position, culture, or a mix of both? (i.e., if a portuguese North America rebels, will it became a portuguese-cultured USA, a north-american Brazil, or a new, fictional nation, maybe "Terra Nova"?)

New World? That would be good, as the new world thread has gone over 50000 views. Its a highly anticipated dev diary.

Arguments always bring a crowd, it much more interesting than seeing a post with a good idea and 10 people saying "well done". Even the OP there has said that he would like the changes so that he can move the Inca from his 5th game up to his 3rd game...

But how to write about spain and portugal without talking about colonizing the new world?

Easily. None of the "nations" DD mentioned much about any feature. They would just mention if they perhaps get extra colonists or decreased colonist cost etc. as their national bonuses and voila an essentially colonisation-free DD about Spain or Portugal.

And France is nothing I associate with 'Go West'.

Only Spain and Portugal go further west than France.

Oh, and I know it's quite early to ask this, but what about American revolutionaries? And, will the american nations be based on their geographic position, culture, or a mix of both? (i.e., if a portuguese North America rebels, will it became a portuguese-cultured USA, a north-american Brazil, or a new, fictional nation, maybe "Terra Nova"?)

I think it's a bit early to talk about the dinosaur DLC.:)

I think the 'Handle'' button is something similar to the "accept demands" button in EU3 but that's just speculation.

I agree with the new concept - switching between Monarchies and Republics in EU3 was way too easy and without any serious threats. hopefully now we will see Reactionary rebels (or something similar to them) more often.

50 admin points sounds cheap for a core, but that's only me. on the other hand this idea of 'Overextension' sounds great - hopefully it prevents blobs conquering half continents in a few years.

EDIT: automatic cores have been eliminated - it was stated in one of the previous DDs.

100 points for 1 stab and 50 points for 1 core ? Oh boys, i can't wait for all the rage about those meteors stopping people from expansion.

Well, I'd assume that these values are not set in stone yet, Johan keeps on using terms in the line of "currently" and "at the moment" whenever he talks about the costs of certain actions.
Pretty sure there will be some major balancing going on before (and most likely after) the game is released.

Overall, not too many changes from the EU III DW systems, so far. We'll see how it works, and what impact the changes have, in Q 3 2013, I suppose.

Last edited:
I hope that the concept of overextension is going to be well elaborated. Also, the international relations, rivalries and threats among nations should work properly.

In CK2 relations fail to prevent constant expansion and AI is too dumb to create alliances opposing rising superpowers. there is a serious lack of badboy in CK2, hopefully EU4 will model a badboy-free system better.

Are there any other restrictions to using monarch power to turn a province into a core? The idea of conquering somewhere and immediately creating a core of it doesn't sit well with me. Not if it's a neighbouring province, and especially not if it's in a faraway country. Will the cost be affected by things such as distance and length of time the province has been owned?

Looks promising, but i think its about time you remove Ukraine as Ruthenian revolter and replace it with countries that actually make historic sense, for example, Kiev, Halich, Chernigov, Volhyania etc. Ukraine, Ruthenia or Kievan Rus' could be left as a kind of alternative Russian unification for the non-Russian east-slavs.

Are there any other restrictions to using monarch power to turn a province into a core? The idea of conquering somewhere and immediately creating a core of it doesn't sit well with me. Not if it's a neighbouring province, and especially not if it's in a faraway country. Will the cost be affected by things such as distance and length of time the province has been owned?

I think the best would be if creating a core required to have 0 revolt risk in given province - combined with the previous system of "Nationalism" in conquered non-cored provinces it would prevent insta-coring new lands.

Re: coring provinces...

I hate to suggest this, but the cost could be influenced by culture, religion, and/or base tax.

I like the fact that Manpower will be more important in this game and that it will be effected by War Exhaustion.I know there will be alot of whining about it, but if it is implemented well.....it will be more realistic than current EU3 system.

PS.I like the fact ships will also cost MP.