Europa Universalis IV – Developer Diary 12 - Dominium Maris Baltici

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hmm lovely looking map I think for the first time Paradox have the map on par with the interfaces and both now seem to have the same richness.

Edit: Forgot about the fog, for Godsake do something better with the fog.

The map looks charming on the outside but it's miserable and terrible inside!

Dear Paradox Interactive! If you set rules for the map at least you should try to follow them. From now on it's not just that the borders are ugly but the province layout is simply impossible in certain areas. Hungary touching the Black Sea and dividing Moldavia and Wallachia which shared a common border during the whole period? How could that happen? That is certainly not for game balance. Not to mention the fact that Hungary occupies half Moldavia.

If you don't do anything regarding this delicate matter you can be sure 'not' to expect the Spanish Inquisition!

Dear Paradox Interactive! If you set rules for the map at least you should try to follow them. From now on it's not just that the borders are ugly but the province layout is simply impossible in certain areas. Hungary touching the Black Sea and dividing Moldavia and Wallachia which shared a common border during the whole period? How could that happen? That is certainly not for game balance. Not to mention the fact that Hungary occupies half Moldavia.

If you don't do anything regarding this delicate matter you can be sure 'not' to expect the Spanish Inquisition!

He's right, Euroatlas 1500, NE Europe: http://www.euratlas.net/history/europe/1500/1500_Northeast.jpg

EDIT: although, I do remember reading that the map is "work in progress"...

He's right, Euroatlas 1500, NE Europe: http://www.euratlas.net/history/europe/1500/1500_Northeast.jpg

EDIT: although, I do remember reading that the map is "work in progress"...

And then when we complain about Balkan, people say "oh no another whine about Balkan!", no actually, thats how bad, or wait, let me put it politically correct here, thats how "abstracted" Balkan is (and this is a completely separate topic from what culture goes where, which would probably result in another Balkan war, the basic province layout, i believe all sides would agree on).

But yes, Gars (and others) did say that map is undergoing changes, and it appears this is done region by region.

Guys, so far weve seen that Poland was reworked, and from what ive seen it was a major improvement! If other areas are done in same fashon (although its not perfect) it will still be a HUGE improvement over EU3. So far i know for sure that Russia is being worked on.

Looking at the picture and realizing that Sweden has the three crowns and not the blue and yellow cross, then you could give the Union of Kalmar the Union seal of Erik - it encompasses the three crowns of sweden, the standing lion of norway, the three lions of Denmark (and the griffon of pommerania) - I really hate the colours of the red and yellow flag ;)

Looking at the picture and realizing that Sweden has the three crowns and not the blue and yellow cross, then you could give the Union of Kalmar the Union seal of Erik - it encompasses the three crowns of sweden, the standing lion of norway, the three lions of Denmark (and the griffon of pommerania) - I really hate the colours of the red and yellow flag ;)
Four lions, three crowns and a griffon in a pear tree in one flag?! That's kinda an overkill...

I like this idea, there is more historical basis for this... and it looks pretty sweet as well.

Some places have been distorted when transferring the EU3 map to the new projection.

Sweden is going to be ridiculousloy underpowerded!11!

Seriously those, looks really good and I like the gist of the ideas, though of course everything will have to be balanced and rebalanced so no need to debate numbers here.

And then when we complain about Balkan, people say "oh no another whine about Balkan!", no actually, thats how bad, or wait, let me put it politically correct here, thats how "abstracted" Balkan is (and this is a completely separate topic from what culture goes where, which would probably result in another Balkan war, the basic province layout, i believe all sides would agree on).

But yes, Gars (and others) did say that map is undergoing changes, and it appears this is done region by region.

Guys, so far weve seen that Poland was reworked, and from what ive seen it was a major improvement! If other areas are done in same fashon (although its not perfect) it will still be a HUGE improvement over EU3. So far i know for sure that Russia is being worked on.
From what I managed to find out it seems Hungary took Chilia fortress, an important strategic place on the Danube close to the black sea, and hold it a few decades tops in late 15th century, for better defense against the Ottomans. This was because Moldavia wasn't doing pretty well at that time, but soon Stephen the Great came, took it back from hungarians, resisted ottoman invasions, still he eventually had to give it to them for peace...

But I really doubt that besides Chilia and passage towards it the hungarians would have controlled almost all the western part of Moldavia between Prut river and Carpathian mountains, this would have been a real hungarian invasion, which I never heard of in school or anywhere.

Please Paradox, keep it simple, pretty much like how it looked in EU3, don't do it worse, changing regions for the entire game because they were different just for a short period of time!!!

Some places have been distorted when transferring the EU3 map to the new projection.

Isnt the new projection actually the more real-life like, while EU3 was distorted? (thats the impression i got from looking at new screenie at least). If so, thats a very good thing indeed, after any such small errors from porting stuff are corrected, overall it should be huge gain in quality?

edit - cant wait to get my hands on provinces.jpg.

Isnt the new projection actually the more real-life like, while EU3 was distorted? (thats the impression i got from looking at new screenie at least). If so, thats a very good thing indeed, after any such small errors from porting stuff are corrected, overall it should be huge gain in quality?

It is a better projection. But as we transferred the EU3 province layout to this one, many provinces have become rather distorted compared to how it looked earlier. What we've been doing now is adding new provinces and changing the provinces/country layout and historic setup. Our focus has not been tweaking individual borders which can be done (to some degree) at a later stage.

It is a better projection. But as we transferred the EU3 province layout to this one, many provinces have become rather distorted compared to how it looked earlier. What we've been doing now is adding new provinces and changing the provinces/country layout and historic setup. Our focus has not been tweaking individual borders which can be done (to some degree) at a later stage.

Thats wonderful news indeed. It also seems like you guys have heavily reworked rivers, which is also a very promising thing, as if the rivers are placed correctly, lots and lots of provinces (specially in eastern Europe) become that much easier to place where they should be (and same goes for cities). Like you said, tidying things up (like matching Serbia / Wallachia-Bulgaria border to follow Danube river flow, which is the same as today) can easily be done later on. Damn cant wait to see screenies of later stages of development!

One click stability increase is a bit strange though, just like 'stabbing the pig' in EU: Rome was.
Nope it's basically the same. In EU3 you put part of resource(ducats) into a special account and then when you have enough saved up, you automatically go up a level. In EU4 you kept your resource(administrative power) in a general account and draw out what you need to go up a level.

EDIT: I'm really like the monarch power mechanic. It seems like in EU4 Kings will actually be a intergal part of the player's strategy and not just a little bonus.

Last edited: