Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradox - Post Mortem dev diary

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Besuchov

Studio Manager, PDS
Paradox Staff
64 Badges
Mar 6, 2001
  • Sengoku
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Impire
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Diplomacy
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
The expansion Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise has now been out for six weeks, therefore I felt this is a good time for some general "post mortem" thoughts. But as I sat down to write this dev diary for Conquest of Paradise, it struck me that “Post Mortem” is not really a good term for this kind of thing; Post Partum would be better :)
In the old days maybe the death analogy worked...you made a feature list, finished it, published the game and then moved on to the next game. This was the life cycle of computer game development. But now we produce patches and expansions and constant updates and our games and expansions are more of a continuous project; more analogous to giving birth and watching the game grow and pushing it in interesting directions, intervening when necessary. It takes a long time for a game to really leave our homes.

Conquest of Paradise is a special expansion for us, because it's the first expansion for Europa Universalis IV. We have said this a lot, but Conquest of Paradise was a very ambitious project and we did face quite a few challenges when creating it.
We made major changes to the game that was challenging both technically and design-wise.

The Random New World completely randomized parts the map which presented a number of challenges as the map has always been constant in our games, everything from placing trade nodes to finding a decent distribution of American nations. For me the exploration game why always one of the big fun factors, sending an explorer into the unknown and see what you can see. I hope that this is now a part of the game that can live longer, past the point where you have played the game so much you know exactly which provinces you should explore at which tech level.

We introduced dynamic colonial countries which represents a break from things PDS games have not done in the past (and also something that could open up interesting possibilities for the future). Here we wanted to add the feeling that your colonies have a mind of their own, being on your side but also having their own plans that can lead to unexpected results. Personally I think it gives a good feel to the game, but I think there are more things we could do to improve interaction with your colonies. I also think we should be careful if we want to expand this mechanic to other areas, while you get more interesting and unexpected situation you also take away control from the player and that’s an area where you want to be careful.

We also created unique mechanics for the North American peoples. We wanted to add Native American states with their own tech progression and buildings improve the pacing and create options for America’s original inhabitants and make the gameplay between the tribes more exciting with migration and federation mechanics. We found (not all that unexpected) that there was some balance challenges to this, but on the whole I think it is an interesting route that could be extended to other parts of the world. The idea came up when I played a game on the Indian subcontinent and felt that the fun decisions that make up an EU4 game where too far in between, which comes from the fact that the pacing is originally designed for European nations.

We know the release of Conquest of Paradise wasn´t as smooth as we would have wanted, so from our perspective, we are immensely happy that you have had patience and that you enjoy the expansion and continue playing Europa Universalis IV. We want you to know that we are working ongoing with patching and updating the game and expansion. And we really want to say that we appreciate all the feedback we get from you, good and bad, and, even if we don’t respond as much as we would like, we do hear you!
We have recently released the 1.5 patch with a focus on bug fixes, balancing and general improvements as well as including a greatly improved naval invasion AI and we are continuously working to improve the game, some of the more important fixes you will see a mini-update/hotfix coming to a steam client near you very soon.

That's it for now, you can read all the devdiaries for EU4:CoP here!
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...lis-IV-Conquest-of-Paradise-Dev-Diary-Archive

Going forward, our work continues on improving the game, both by modifying and improving the base game. We will also soon kick-off the development diaries for the upcoming expansion Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations. Looking forward to tell you more about the future plans in the next dev diary!

(And a special thanks to our beta testers who help us improve the game and everyone who Europa Universalis IV development alive by purchasing the expansion!)

eu4_25.jpg

PS. View all the EU4: CoP videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4hR-M4rl7udRfXBde0Ebw9NTnExOcZNZ

Last edited by a moderator:
The expansion Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise has now been out for a month,

Has it only been a month?

EDIT: Ok, month and a half but man it feels like more time has passed.

Good work, guys! Although I could personally do without some of the new features, it's still one hell of a game I have trouble getting off of to play other games. EUIV has been like crack to me and I'm afraid I'll find myself ignoring some of the big upcoming games and expansions I already pre-ordered that are coming out this month.

I look very much forward to Wealth of Nations!

I really did love this expansion and spent more time on it than I did vanilla, but I do have some problems with the random new world. The attached picture is a great example. You'll notice that the new world desert is across from the vegetated area of Africa, and vice versa for the Sahara. I feel like a few minor improvements on thing like that really would make it much more pleasing to look at. Also thicker forests. A part from that, I love pretty much everything about CoP and hope that the Wealth of Nations is just as good if not better.

I updated and gosh was I morning tired :)

I just want to make a little confession. I've never bought any Paradox game, always played them for free with my friend steam account but seeing how you guys are actually supporting your EUIV after it went out the door I went and bought EUIV, expansion and all DLCs on GMG.

When you support your products, you get a loyal fanbase that will make you rich or less poor.

Salutations.

You'll notice that the new world desert is across from the vegetated area of Africa, and vice versa for the Sahara.
Was about to say that it is because the Americas are moved north (for gameplay reasons, nothing to worry about), but the deserts are on the south of the Sahara, when, in theory, they should be north of it (and south of it, but I think the desert seen in the new world is the northern one). Deserts usually appear around 30 degrees north and south, if I remember correctly.

Now, sex weeks. Is that some kind of special holiday you crazies in Stockholm have..? :D
It might have something to do with it being a "Conquest of Paradox" - I can see how that would work.

I just hope they all recover in time to do the next round of expansions and new games...

Remove the Western Europe Trade Node please :(

• 1Like
Reactions:
All i can say is: thank you Paradox for existing. If im ever to invade Sweden, ill be a benevolent and merciful new overlord because of you!

Anyway, all hail Paradox.

o7