Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise dev diary 6: Colonial nations

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
2 questions comes to mind:

Assuming you can not directly convert colonial provinces with your missionaries, will colonial nations adopt the religion of the mother country? What will happen if the mother country converts (for example from catholic to protestant or reformed?

And some of the friskier achievements like Norwegian Wood (own all naval supplies provinces), can they still technically be done with this expansion, or are achievements only for vanilla game?

There are a few posts that are encroaching on the gameplay of colonial nations. Please remember there is another DD to come on exactly that topic.

Oh, yeah.. that's an interesting point. That might be a bit odd. If for example 13 Colonies breaks away and forms USA, then you annex it and it's back to being a Colonial Nation. Also surely these Colonial Nation rules can't apply to all Americas nations, because what about the Tribes? Wouldn't they be normal nations?

Or.. maybe they're not. Reflecting the fact that no Native American tribe, at least not in the North, was ever really 'annexed'. They continued to operate as separate nations beyond the end of the EU4 time frame, and still exist today as separate communities with special laws, even though they're not actually separate nations any more.

So yeah perhaps they are going to apply the "independent nation only" system to the entirety of the Americas. If you annex a tribe, you automatically get a tribal vassal, which can be fed with other tribal vassals but never becomes traditional owned/cored provinces.

Anyway, all pure speculation as you say! Be interesting to see how they're managing all these edge cases.

I for one am very glad they delayed the patch/DLC for five weeks. The Randomised New World is difficult on its own, but that's far from the only complexity, I feel. There's an awful lot of changes happening and so much to consider and balance and test.

The tribes all have their capitals in the Americas so there won't be unique issues annexing each other. As somebody says later, if a European nation annexes their land, then the annexed land would become part of a colonial nation if big enough.

Paradox haven't discussed culture, conversion & whatnot, but note that tags having different cultures and religions to their provinces isn't new - Cyprus & the Knights are examples. I'd expect that colonial nations will start with your religion and primary culture and just core & convert as normal - paradox may just need to adjust the culture conversion modifier to account for colonial nations not being 'overseas' from the provinces they are converting.

Regarding culture it wouldn't surprise me if they flipped to American If English and so forth same culture group as you but a different name. Just for well prettyness. :p

Really looking forward to this. Hopefully it will make colonizing the Americas more fun (along with more natives). Also looking forward to playing as a colony fighting for independence!

One significant balance change I can see coming from this is that colonising bonuses will be much less important for a colonial power focused on the Americas, because you don't need to (and maybe can't) do much of the colonising yourself. For instance, a bonus to colony growth will presumably not apply to your viceroy's colonies, and you only really need one colonist to get the ball rolling, with additional colonists providing minimal benefit. This might mean that the Exploration idea group would have to be overhauled.

Just wanted to mention that in Arabic, you would be much more likely to find the name Grenada Jadida (New Grenada) than the inverse - it uses a Noun-Adjective construct as opposed to the English Adjective-Noun!

Anyway, this whole concept seems awesome!

There are a few posts that are encroaching on the gameplay of colonial nations. Please remember there is another DD to come on exactly that topic.

Um. Usually the last DD is the patch notes, no?

Um. Usually the last DD is the patch notes, no?

This thread is DD 6, and he posted that 3 weeks ago. We did indeed get a subsequent DD 7 that explained the gameplay of Colonial Nations. The last DD, 8, will be next Friday, the 11th - and yeah that should have the patch notes, at least from what I understand of how it's been done in CK2.

Say I start a game as England, colonize until the 13 colonies is formed, then tag switch and declare independence. I am now my own independent nation in North America and take the decision to form the USA. The USA then colonizes. Will a new colonial nation break off from the USA if I for instance colonize South America?

Say I start a game as England, colonize until the 13 colonies is formed, then tag switch and declare independence. I am now my own independent nation in North America and take the decision to form the USA. The USA then colonizes. Will a new colonial nation break off from the USA if I for instance colonize South America?

If your capital is in the new world, you won't get colonial nations forming from your colonies.

Just had a go at the new expansion, and I've got to say I'm loving it!

However, I would definitely pay for a £2 DLC (and I'm sure others would too) if I could just have the personal option of changing all my colonial flags into the 'Ensign' style (similar to the modern Australian flag). I know from a previous post that the flags are created by half the national flag stamped on the colonial region colour so it can't be very difficult to just make it so the whole 'home' flag sits in the top left corner while the rest of the flag is region based - I just feel that it looks a lot better and gives the colony itself a nicer appearance in my own opinion.

my 'thirteen colonies' and 'newfoundland' colonies fight against eachother. Kinda pointless making seperate colonies if the weaker one gets conquered by the bigger one. :p

Just had a go at the new expansion, and I've got to say I'm loving it!

However, I would definitely pay for a £2 DLC (and I'm sure others would too) if I could just have the personal option of changing all my colonial flags into the 'Ensign' style (similar to the modern Australian flag). I know from a previous post that the flags are created by half the national flag stamped on the colonial region colour so it can't be very difficult to just make it so the whole 'home' flag sits in the top left corner while the rest of the flag is region based - I just feel that it looks a lot better and gives the colony itself a nicer appearance in my own opinion.

THIS, I would gladly shell out money for this if it takes significant recoding.

Yes. Paradox please make this real.

BTW, can natives form nations like USA/Canada/etc?