Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise – Dev diary 2: Exploring a new world

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As a few others have said before, it would be great (and epic master-trolling) if there was a very small chance that there's just no continent - maybe a bunch of islands like throughout the existing Pacific, or some archipelago like the Caribbeans, but no big landmass at all, and mostly water from Europe/Africa to Japan/Australia.
Or at least, it would be great if this was an option (chances of having nothing, and obviously getting your explorers lost at sea until very late game) you can pick when you choose the Random New World.

I mean, there weren't many people who expected to find a *new* world when Columbus set sail - they expected Cipangu.

I only read about seven pages, so I don't know if this ever got answered. But to me it's a pretty crucial question.

Will there be some way of obscuring the new world in the lobby, so that you don't automatically get a look at it? A simple yes-no switch when the game was created would cover most situations (unless you wanted to switch to a colony after playing a non-American). Maybe a setting where only the areas visible to non-american tech groups are visible in the lobby?

I am excited about the proposition of randomization, but if it's visible on reload it will kind of take a lot of the stuffing out of it.

Those landmasses look like they were taken from a Rorschach test.

This is the single greatest feature addition to a Paradox game. Ever.

Reactions:
As a few others have said before, it would be great (and epic master-trolling) if there was a very small chance that there's just no continent - maybe a bunch of islands like throughout the existing Pacific, or some archipelago like the Caribbeans, but no big landmass at all, and mostly water from Europe/Africa to Japan/Australia.
Or at least, it would be great if this was an option (chances of having nothing, and obviously getting your explorers lost at sea until very late game) you can pick when you choose the Random New World.

I mean, there weren't many people who expected to find a *new* world when Columbus set sail - they expected Cipangu.

It would be really cool if there was no America in some games, imagine th importance of the small islands between Europe and Asia.

Why won't this be compatible with the CK2 converter? Seems arbitrary and totally against the 'what if' nature of this DLC..

I'm guessing it's more likely to be a technical limitation than a deliberate desire to exclude it. Like they'd have to make significant extra changes to the CK2 converter code in order to enable it to work in CoP, with the new tribes and tribal mechanics and everything.

An issue of not wanting/not being able to spend extra time on what is a relatively niche use-case (albeit one that some people have paid £7 specifically to get), than not wanting it to happen for gameplay reasons.

Perhaps it'll come with later patches.

I'm guessing it's more likely to be a technical limitation than a deliberate desire to exclude it. Like they'd have to make significant extra changes to the CK2 converter code in order to enable it to work in CoP, with the new tribes and tribal mechanics and everything.

An issue of not wanting/not being able to spend extra time on what is a relatively niche use-case (albeit one that some people have paid £7 specifically to get), than not wanting it to happen for gameplay reasons.

Perhaps it'll come with later patches.

Perhaps I'll buy EU4 with a later patch ;)

Not sure if it's been asked already : will the random America map be custom-map compatible if i've added a fair amount of provinces there ?