Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise – Dev diary 2: Exploring a new world

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can anyone please answer if you can still play MP with others that don't have the dlc?
Even if you don’t buy the expansion, you will get completely new map modes, more playable nations, colonial nations and much more. Also, don’t worry about MP: just like in Crusader Kings II, if the host has the expansion – everyone in the MP session can use the gameplay features of Conquest of Paradise.
:happy:

Will you also make the random new world somehow available for the CK2 converter? Like when you choose to export your CK2 game you may choose if you want the rgular New World or a random?

I'm thinking that, until it's officially supported we ought to be able to do this by making a backup copy of the EUIV directory and copying/merging the data from your converted game with the new base directory, overwriting the 'official' 1444 start with our converted history.

Might get funny/buggy with Sunset Invasion active, but otherwise I bet that would work to 'trick' the game into letting us randomize the map after a CKII conversion.

I think the provinces on the equator should be more have more deserts, and the ones which aren't should have less. Looking at the new world compared with the old one, It look's like both of them are from a different planet.
http://i.imgur.com/wIJOHFr.jpg
I've marked the deserts with a red line and circle. As you can see there isn't a pattern that much :/ Maybe I'm making this a problem because I have OCD
Actually deserts should be around the tropics, equatorial climate is often pretty wet.

They already said the maps are not the definitve ones, so why complain about the fact they are "ugly" or do not have correct climate zones? I'm sure they're pretty aware of that and the final product will be much better.
There were similar complains about the general map and look at the result...

Keep in mind that most of the climatic zones are highly linked with the landscape elements.
If Central America is not a desert like in Africa, it's because of how close the ocean is, the mountains and so on...

And that part is hard to get it right. The frozen area is easy but the other areas are hard.

I know. I was thinking about linking the Köpping classification instead of my simple, which shows this. There exists a Civ IV map mod that does this this fairly well. But I think, a few things are not that complicated:

1. (nearly) no deserts on the equator (but rainforests),
  2. a higher likelihood for deserts along the tropics.

Of course it would be nice to include mountains, oceans and so on, but these two heuristics would be enough for me.

"no tectonic plates" -- sad news.

These two screenshots make Earth look horrible. Tectonic plates would make me preorder expansion ASAP.
i.e.
what if north america would be moving south and south america north -- i.e. no carribean or inland carribean sea?

also, from programmatic point of view:
why generate totally random map, if you could just prerender 100 maps w/ tectonic plates and select some map randomly?

how do you handle the base tax of the new world compare to the number of provinces when generated? Do you give the new world a fix number of base tax which gets split between the number of provinces, or is the richness of the new world only a question of luck?

Might get funny/buggy with Sunset Invasion active, but otherwise I bet that would work to 'trick' the game into letting us randomize the map after a CKII conversion.
Yeah that's why I'm asking, because sure we may do it ourselves, I'd be willing to participate in such a venture, but if it would be supported out of the box it really would make it more exciting as it already is. Think of the possibilities! :laugh:

When in Multiplayer games,while in the lobby , will Fog of War cover the new world or will it be just like what it is right now?
i mean , there is no point of having a random world if we know where to head to get the closest piece of land while loading the game in the lobby.

I'd love it if there were just ocean on a smaller world by random chance.... Columbus sets sail westward assured to find a shorter route to India... and ends up in.... India?!?

Liking what I see so far, but I am wondering about something. In a random map game, will the native tribes have a consistent starting size, or will their nation sizes be random as well? Meaning, for example, will the Creek always be a constant 6 provinces (or however big they are now) at game start or will their starting size be an unknown once you hit that Play button for the first time?

I don't think anyone has mentioned it here, but I love the fact that the maps are foreshadowing a lot more native nations than we currently have in the game! On first glance, I see the Osage, Powhatan, Fox and the Sioux. :D

I'm really looking forward to this. But I hope they will add some irregularity to the continent's and provinces' borders. Right now it looks a little bit... artificial.

I'll ask again, since I didn't get an answer and I think my questions are most relevant to this DD.

"Is it possible to completely erase the new world?
Would be funny to see Columbus actually reaching China if he survives the über-sized Ocean.

Is it possible to add Australia into the randomization as well?"

"no tectonic plates" -- sad news.

These two screenshots make Earth look horrible. Tectonic plates would make me preorder expansion ASAP.
i.e.
what if north america would be moving south and south america north -- i.e. no carribean or inland carribean sea?

also, from programmatic point of view:
why generate totally random map, if you could just prerender 100 maps w/ tectonic plates and select some map randomly?

New Drinking Game: Take a shot every time someone complains about a lack of plate tectonics in a randomized map in a game.

I love the idea, but the continents look kind of disappointing so far. I've been investigating procedural generation of tectonic continents on the internet, and there are some beautiful worlds being created. For example, look at what this guy is doing:

post-197434-0-27634500-1337534200_thumb.png

This is really raising the bar... Imagine exploring a world like that.* Maybe you guys could contact him, he seems like a pretty openminded guy. I'm sure he would be interested in a cooperation if he could see his idea being implemented in a game as awesome as EU4 :)

* In fact, that sounds so good that I'm gonna just do it.

Last edited:
Sooo... Why isn't it compatible with ck2 conversions? I honestly don't understand the decision making here.

Agreed, why create a DLC that specifically doesn't work with another created DLC you charged players for? If it can't work together without hypothetical "maybe later", it shouldn't be made.