Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise – Dev diary 2: Exploring a new world

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don't know if this has been asked before, but while the idea of creating an unknown and fresh New World by randomizing is very good, what's stopping people simply using the mini-map to see where the new random lands are located? Often it isn't even by choice, they might simply glance at the mini map in order to move the screen location quickly, only to inevitably get a glimpse of where these new lands are. It's a shame the undiscovered lands on the mini-map can't be clad in a fog of war like it is on the main screen.

Who says you can see the whole world in the mini-map? :)

Another question I have is about like the Dutch East india Company etc. As I understand these vassal colonies will only exist in the new world is that correct? If that's the case is there a possibility that in the future you might consider expanding their reach to asia as well? Wouldn't be a lot different if you make colonies in Indonesia and then the East India Company forms and starts eating up provinces in Aceh or Brunei etc.

Just extending the coding so that asian colonies too become vassal colonies with their own mind but making them more bussiness related and have a much smaller independence drive or what you called it but a larger war chest to be able to hire mercenaries to defeat the tougher competition in Asia.
Maybe even give these asian companies a special CB where they can declare war on Asian nations and get ticking warscore by blockading ports and lowered cost for demanding money tribute and trade power in the peace deal.

An exception could be made for Australia and and other historical places where white men relocated which would have a larger independence drive and be more like the new world colonies. (South Africa maybe?)
Would be really neat considering that it's really tedious now to constantly having your asian armies be in the same force limit as your european ones and travel time of years, making it a burden to expand in asia.

Last edited:
I think the provinces on the equator should be more have more deserts, and the ones which aren't should have less. Looking at the new world compared with the old one, It look's like both of them are from a different planet.
http://i.imgur.com/wIJOHFr.jpg
I've marked the deserts with a red line and circle. As you can see there isn't a pattern that much :/ Maybe I'm making this a problem because I have OCD

Yes, indeed. It would be nice if the generated map would fit into the climatical zones of the earth as seen here.

1024px-Klimag%C3%BCrtel-der-erde.png

I don't know if this has been asked before, but while the idea of creating an unknown and fresh New World by randomizing is very good, what's stopping people simply using the mini-map to see where the new random lands are located? Often it isn't even by choice, they might simply glance at the mini map in order to move the screen location quickly, only to inevitably get a glimpse of where these new lands are. It's a shame the undiscovered lands on the mini-map can't be clad in a fog of war like it is on the main screen.

I believe that if you check the first DD there's a screen-shot of the mini-map obscuring all terra incognita, so you'll probably just see what you've discovered.

Could you do one thing for the randomized new world?

It is to pick up the names of all the tribes and nations, being big or as small as a village, known to have existed. Pick up the names and form nations with a randomized set of names, so one does not encounter always Cherokee, Creek, Chimu, etc. But maybe an Inuit empire, Appache, Mississipi, Guanche, Patagonia, etc

Will the randomiser be moddable? Ie change the likelihood of landmasses, potential shapes etc?

And also, how will it work precisely? Will it create a whole load of new map files or something?

I'd like to see something analogous to the Caribbean generated in random maps. Looks like the landmasses are fairly large right now, though of course I've only seen 2 screenshots. So yeah more variety in landmass size would be nice.

It is to pick up the names of all the tribes and nations, being big or as small as a village, known to have existed. Pick up the names and form nations with a randomized set of names, so one does not encounter always Cherokee, Creek, Chimu, etc. But maybe an Inuit empire, Appache, Mississipi, Guanche, Patagonia, etc

No. Since each country needs a lot of stuff like monarch names, leader names, history files, flags, culture, religion, an adjective etc., that wouldn't work. A country isn't just a name.

Yes, indeed. It would be nice if the generated map would fit into the climatical zones of the earth as seen here.

Keep in mind that most of the climatic zones are highly linked with the landscape elements.
If Central America is not a desert like in Africa, it's because of how close the ocean is, the mountains and so on...

And that part is hard to get it right. The frozen area is easy but the other areas are hard.

The amount of provinces is not constant. There will never be more, but there can be fewer.

How big is the span from vanilla to the least possible? I mean is it possible to end up with a few Hawaii-esque islands in the middle of the ocean and then nothing until Japan? If so would it be possible to add some kind of customization (Large New World/Medium New World/Small New World)?

It sure looks like deserts in the new world is the place to live. Damn hipster Indians.

But you can see it in the country selection screen, no?

Both was shown in the livestream. The random Americas are only generated once you click the play button. I suppose, though, that reloading the game will show you the new world if you care to look. The mini-map now only shows known lands.