Europa Universalis IV - A Guide to Crushing Freedom, Video Dev Diary: Exploration

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MalinS

Queen of Pie
6 Badges
Jan 7, 2013
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • For the Motherland
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
Expand Your Global Empire into New Lands, But Beware of Independence
You can’t conquer the globe without crossing a few oceans, but Europa Universalis IV is ready to help you shape up before you ship out. Paradox Interactive and Paradox Development Studio today delivered an inside look at the possibilities of exploration, colonization, and naval domination in their upcoming empire-building strategy game, Europa Universalis IV.

Explore exploration and see the New World of features:
[video=youtube;zxIrk1xKAZc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxIrk1xKAZc&feature=youtu.be&utm_campaign=europa-universalis-iv&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=9563075&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--GfERU2dv17LkhujxDUdCB3vTP2eG6DktqJ4z5GUvONaSs4I54K P8ftpO1QNgdgfOaW2opsSigFzUt2_Zvcqy8efYo3mepLXavzdc gbnvV8FkI6yc&_hsmi=9563075[/video]

The age of exploration is a crucial turning point in world history, but what if things had gone a little differently? Some of the possibilities that can occur in Europa Universalis IV are discussed by Project Lead Thomas Johansson of Paradox Development Studio, providing players with a preview of the troubles faced by an expanding nation. The promise of new riches and resources may lure your empire overseas, but what happens when your colonists start getting ideas about your relationship? What will you do when religious dissidents start fleeing their homeland and populating your new holdings… and who are these upstarts claiming to be “founding fathers?” Can you crush their notions of independence, or will the colonies rise up and outshine your empire?

Strategy fans can prepare for the long road to conquest by pre-ordering Europa Universalis IV. Pre-orders come with several pieces of bonus DLC, including the newly revealed Purple Phoenix pack, and further items to be revealed in August. Further details on pre-orders and all awards can be found here: www.europauniversalis4.com/buy.

Europa Universalis IV is the latest installment in the award-winning series, with more than a million copies sold, and will release worldwide on August 13, 2013. The game gives you control of a nation to guide it through the years and create a dominant global empire in the age of exploration. Following on the success of the critically acclaimed strategy/RPG Crusader Kings II, Paradox Development Studio is ready to make you experience the drama that only the grand stage of history can provide.

For more information, please visit europauniversalis4.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you release and play as countries Vicky 2 style? Like I form a Dutch Venezuala though colonization, then release them as a dominion to play as with Dutch as the main culture? Same goes for horde conquests or say, forming something like the Spanish Netherlands that arent under direct Spanish hegemony.

I laughed out loud at, "They will start speaking about star-spangled banners and all sorts of strange things-- we have to fight these people!"

:)

I agree. Western Sahara should simply be wasteland. Unless a European country captures all of Morroco and uses conquistadors, there won't be an overland route which would reduce Africa becoming America #2. And Morocco always being conquered could be done by buffing the Barbary States, something long overdue.

Yeah, africa should really be hard to colonize and only possible in end game, the states in north africa were actually powerful pirates feared across the mediterranean and beyond, and should realy be much harder to conquer

I think you can form Spain without Aragon and it gives you cores on Aragon. Just that it's much harder to do. Or perhaps in that game Aragon broke away from Spain after it's formation (possible but majorly unlikely)

I think you can form Spain without Aragon and it gives you cores on Aragon. Just that it's much harder to do. Or perhaps in that game Aragon broke away from Spain after it's formation (possible but majorly unlikely)
Yeah. If Aragon is a junior partner in vassalage then you can form Spain and release them, and it grants cores (at least as of the last time I garnered information on the subject, but that is rather old)

But one possible way to deal with them!

Also, Thomas, you did this video much better then the previous one. You seemed much relaxed and less reading a script.

I thought that as well, in general I always feel the best way to do things like this is just to improvise rather than to do a script. Sometimes you may make errors but more often than not it'll appear more relaxed, and be more engaging. Rather than just a script reading exercise. (That being said it does only work if you are confident in thinking on your feet.