Europa Universalis IV - 6 April 2021 - War Canoes & Unit Renders

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SaintDaveUK

Art Lead @ Tinto
Paradox Staff
120 Badges
Jun 20, 2012
  • Majesty 2
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • The Showdown Effect
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Victoria 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Starvoid
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided

Europa Universalis IV - 6 April 2021 - War Canoes & Unit Renders​

Hello! First off I want to introduce myself. My name is David Horler, and I’m the Art Lead at Paradox Tinto here in Barcelona.

I started working on EU4 unit packs way back in 2013, and since then I’ve been working with environment art and tech art at PDS for games like Imperator: Rome and Crusader Kings III. Now I have come full circle back to EU4 expansions.

In case you missed it, we just announced that the Leviathan expansion and its accompanying free patch will be released on 27 April, so let's take a look at some of the features you will be able to enjoy!

War Canoes
Many cultures around the world developed simple watercraft to ferry warriors and materiel over coastlines and even oceans. Sometimes, opposing vessels engaged each other in combat, serving as platforms for missile weapons and boarding troops.

With our reworks in America and Oceania it felt like a good opportunity to revisit the seafaring mobility of tribal nations. So, included in the free patch is the War Canoe, a basic transport unit that is available to every country that hasn’t researched the Cog yet. It allows low technology countries to engage in naval combat and to move regiments across sea provinces.

war_canoe.jpg

Being able to travel over water opens up lots of exciting early-game opportunities if you are playing as a coastal tribe in the Americas or Australia. However, since War Canoes have a measly combat ability around ⅓ that of a Cog, they cannot be relied upon to hold the line when more advanced sailing ships come knocking.

Unit Renders
Included with Leviathan is an absolutely bumper unit pack, with lots of visual goodies for South East Asia and beyond!

Australian Aboriginal and Polynesian:
LeviathanRendersAustralianAboriginalPolynesian.png
Ayutthaya:
LeviathanRendersAYU.png
Brunei:
LeviathanRendersBEI.png
Champa:
LeviathanRendersCHA.png
Lan Na:
LeviathanRendersLNA.png
Luang Prabang:
LeviathanRendersLUA.png
Majapahit:
LeviathanRendersMAJ.png
Malacca:
LeviathanRendersMLC.png
Pagarruyung:
LeviathanRendersPGR.png

That's all for now - but the high achievers among you will be sure to tune into next week's dev diary.

Have a good week, and we'll see you all at PDXCON Remixed next month!

/Dave

• 129Like
  • 40Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Those models are beautiful, and I'm glad that 'primitive' nations will finally get boats back. The absence of Khmer units though is a little disappointing

• 3Like
Reactions:
oh - I like the idea of the canoes - they look nice.

But are there not more things in the unit pack? I thought about new adivsors, new building arts, new SEA Ships, or horses? What about SEA or Polynisian / New american music?

But if it is included in leviathan, it means it is not an extra unit pack to buy? that is nice

• 2Like
Reactions:
Can we expect transport ship combat ability to be a major factor in Native navies?

• 8Like
  • 6Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:

War Canoes

Many cultures around the world developed simple watercraft to ferry warriors and materiel over coastlines and even oceans. Sometimes, opposing vessels engaged each other in combat, serving as platforms for missile weapons and boarding troops.

With our reworks in America and Oceania it felt like a good opportunity to revisit the seafaring mobility of tribal nations. So, included in the free patch is the War Canoe, a basic transport unit that is available to every country that hasn’t researched the Cog yet. It allows low technology countries to engage in naval combat and to move regiments across sea provinces.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I am so incredibly glad for this change. Thanks so much for this much-needed update to native gameplay. With that in mind, do you guys have any plans to update the Pacific Northwest, since canoes were such an important part of the culture there?

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Will canoes be able to navigate major rivers just like Vikings could in CK2?
I'd love for that to be a feature, but I seriously doubt it. That'd require a pretty enormous rework of the map.

• 12Like
Reactions:
I hope that in the upcoming DDs, we will have more customed artworks for Philippines city-states as well as revised artworks for Indochina nations including Dai Viet, Lan Xang and Khmer. In anyway, thanks for your flavorful work.

p/s: seriously, as a Vietnamese myself, Dai Viet in-game units for tier 3&4 look ridiculous to me.

155043008_275274643958439_8720498396909828050_n.jpg
154754833_275742103911693_7145710762326446185_n.jpg
57503384_2373499352881638_6196949402179862528_n.jpg

(historical reference: models of Dai Viet soldiers in 18th century: foot soldiers, guards, officers, cavalries and war elephant (16th c.)- source: https://www.facebook.com/warm21)

Last edited:
  • 12Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I'm really excited about new good-looking models. Thanks so much for this.
But how about a new Khmer model set? And the model set of Dai Viet should has a change too, its tier 2 seem fantastic for me and just like how Vietnamese portrayed soldiers with lack of knowledge before.
So I post pics drew in the 1680s by merchant Samuel Baron, a statue of a commander in Le Dynasty and 2 pics drew in 18th century as reference
20210406_193300.jpg
20210406_193325.jpg
Quan-vo.jpg
2015aa9e2ef5-fcfb-443e-ae94-8521f15fa801.jpeg
Triumphant_return_of_a_civil_commander,_view_1,_Doc_Loi_temple,_Nghe_An_province,_late_18th_c...jpeg
Triumphant_return_of_a_civil_mandarin,_Doc_Loi_temple,_Nghe_An_province,_late_18th_century,_D...jpeg
images.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 15Like
Reactions:
I’m half way tempted to only engage natives with cogs just for the hell of it now. Nice change will make Caribbean more alive than ever before old worlders show up

• 2Like
Reactions: