Europa Universalis IV - 6 April 2021 - War Canoes & Unit Renders

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

SaintDaveUK

Art Lead @ Tinto
Paradox Staff
120 Badges
Jun 20, 2012
  • Majesty 2
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • The Showdown Effect
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Victoria 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Starvoid
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided

Europa Universalis IV - 6 April 2021 - War Canoes & Unit Renders​

Hello! First off I want to introduce myself. My name is David Horler, and I’m the Art Lead at Paradox Tinto here in Barcelona.

I started working on EU4 unit packs way back in 2013, and since then I’ve been working with environment art and tech art at PDS for games like Imperator: Rome and Crusader Kings III. Now I have come full circle back to EU4 expansions.

In case you missed it, we just announced that the Leviathan expansion and its accompanying free patch will be released on 27 April, so let's take a look at some of the features you will be able to enjoy!

War Canoes
Many cultures around the world developed simple watercraft to ferry warriors and materiel over coastlines and even oceans. Sometimes, opposing vessels engaged each other in combat, serving as platforms for missile weapons and boarding troops.

With our reworks in America and Oceania it felt like a good opportunity to revisit the seafaring mobility of tribal nations. So, included in the free patch is the War Canoe, a basic transport unit that is available to every country that hasn’t researched the Cog yet. It allows low technology countries to engage in naval combat and to move regiments across sea provinces.

war_canoe.jpg

Being able to travel over water opens up lots of exciting early-game opportunities if you are playing as a coastal tribe in the Americas or Australia. However, since War Canoes have a measly combat ability around ⅓ that of a Cog, they cannot be relied upon to hold the line when more advanced sailing ships come knocking.

Unit Renders
Included with Leviathan is an absolutely bumper unit pack, with lots of visual goodies for South East Asia and beyond!

Australian Aboriginal and Polynesian:
LeviathanRendersAustralianAboriginalPolynesian.png
Ayutthaya:
LeviathanRendersAYU.png
Brunei:
LeviathanRendersBEI.png
Champa:
LeviathanRendersCHA.png
Lan Na:
LeviathanRendersLNA.png
Luang Prabang:
LeviathanRendersLUA.png
Majapahit:
LeviathanRendersMAJ.png
Malacca:
LeviathanRendersMLC.png
Pagarruyung:
LeviathanRendersPGR.png

That's all for now - but the high achievers among you will be sure to tune into next week's dev diary.

Have a good week, and we'll see you all at PDXCON Remixed next month!

/Dave

• 129Like
  • 40Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
You say it is "included with Leviathan". Does that mean no separate unit pack DLC at additional charge?
But are there not more things in the unit pack? I thought about new adivsors, new building arts, new SEA Ships, or horses? What about SEA or Polynisian / New american music?

But if it is included in leviathan, it means it is not an extra unit pack to buy? that is nice

When you buy Leviathan, you get the content packs too. Included in the Leviathan content packs are
  • the units shown in the dev diary (roughly equivalent to 2 regular unit packs)
  • the war canoe unit model
  • 2 music packs (North America and South East Asia).

The monument system in Leviathan also comes with a tonne of high quality illustrations, which is why this time we don't have any new advisor portraits.

no offensive to Dave, but are war canoes really worth company time?
Absolutely!

• 26Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Nice. btw while you are working on unit models since 2013, have u fixed austrian models? They would glitch on retreat animation, I guess.
Hello, I want to look into this but I need more information. Which Austrian models are glitching on retreat, and what exactly is the glitch? It's not something I can seem to reproduce on my computer.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Not the perfect solution, but I imagine some of these units can be reused for nations like Khmer or in the Philippines.
I'd be happy to spread the units around a bit in a future patch if you have any suggestions. Which should be used for Khmer and which should be used in the Philippines?

Reactions: