Europa Universalis IV: 1.30.6 is now LIVE! [Checksum 0b2c] - Not for problem reports

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why is semver used when not followed?
Just because someone is using identifiers consisting of three decimal integers separated by '.' doesn't mean they're actually adhering to, or even aware of, the proper semantics of the Semantic Versioning standard.

And to be perfectly honest, even people who are aware of it are frequently pretty bad at it.

(This is why I like the version numbering policy of Firefox, Google Chrome, and systemd: there is one, monotonically increasing version number.)

• 1Like
Reactions:
@BjornB What about the other changes from 1.30.5 which were also relevant for SP - are they included in 1.30.6?

Versioning: It would probably make sense to have content patches be the first digit (which now stays at 1 forever) and then use the 2nd digit for the breaking updates, and the 3rd for any minor patches. However, it was always like this with EU4 and most patches could be breaking savegames, so it wasn't in any way surprising. The problem was the lack of notifying that there even was a patch and that your savegame is going to be broken in combination with a buggy 1.30.5.

Reactions:
The patchnotes in OP is the full patch notes for this version

And about version numbers - 1.x updates are content updates. 1.x.x are technical patches.

I must admit that first 1 is pretty pointless

• 6Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
OK so this morning the new patch auto updates on steam, I have no way of stopping it
After what happened last time as soon as the game menu came up I exited the game.
I rolled back to 1.30.5
Now,when I go to continue my save game it tells me "Achievements can no longer be earned"

This cannot, Cannot, CANNOT be happening to me again. I am sooooo angry right now.

Reactions:
OK so this morning the new patch auto updates on steam, I have no way of stopping it
After what happened last time as soon as the game menu came up I exited the game.
I rolled back to 1.30.5
Now,when I go to continue my save game it tells me "Achievements can no longer be earned"

This cannot, Cannot, CANNOT be happening to me again. I am sooooo angry right now.
Did you actually start that save on 1.30.5? The 1.30.5 patch was reverted and only available in the betas tab, so you were likely on 1.30.4 before the 1.30.6 update

Reactions:
@BjornB

Thank you, thank you, and thank you again for giving us a warning to inform us that games will break with a patch update.

I think a lot of us here are very grateful that you've managed to do this. It saves a lot of heartbreak.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's good you can save your save games from rolling back but just loading the game was enough to ruin my achievement eligibility, that's my last 20 hours down the drain, thanks

Reactions:
It's good you can save your save games from rolling back but just loading the game was enough to ruin my achievement eligibility, that's my last 20 hours down the drain, thanks
Didn't you get the warning that loading your old save could break it?

• 3Like
Reactions:
The patchnotes in OP is the full patch notes for this version

And about version numbers - 1.x updates are content updates. 1.x.x are technical patches.

I must admit that first 1 is pretty pointless
Actually every time you change hardware requirements for a game - the first digit should change.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Actually every time you change hardware requirements for a game - the first digit should change.
Like going from 32 to 64 bit ? (wich technicaly changes hardware requirement)
Anyways there are no in-the-stone rules set for versioning. And sadly it became more and more nonsensicale the last deacede.

Reactions:
Can't use my 1.30.5 Three Mountains ironman file on 1.30.6 because it goes straight to end screen, can't revert because it isnt eligible anymore. Oh, and estates are broken in the new patch. Great job, guys.

I've seen a number of similar complaints on reddit and it seems to be caused by incompatible mods (e.g. font/map mods)
Yeah, I've been searching around a bit, havent tested it yet. As for achievements it might actually be 1.30.4, some people pointed out that 1.30.5 was rolled back. Still this is all a bit awkward to say the least.

Why ????
  • Ironman savegames from 1.30.5 will lose their achievements eligibility.
I PLAYED HALF YEAR FOR ONE VERY LONG ACHIEVEMENT !!!!! AND WHAT NOW ??? MY SAVING HAS DISABLED ACHIEVEMENTS !!!!
On none of the versions 1.30.3 / 1.30.4 / 1.30.5, the achievements in my saving do not work !!!
Why?? What wrong did you do ?? Bought all the DLS ?? Paid you to play ??
I AM THANK YOU! You have destroyed half a year of my efforts!
Thank you so much!! ****** ************ ************ *** ******!!!!!

• 3Haha
Reactions: