Europa Universalis IV: 1.30.6 is now LIVE! [Checksum 0b2c] - Not for problem reports

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BjornB

★Community Manager★
Paradox Staff
81 Badges
Apr 2, 2012
  • March of the Eagles
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Starvoid
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Greetings all!

We will now be releasing the Nakama multiplayer backend once again. Please note that we skipped v1.30.5 and went straight for 1.30.6 with tweaks to our previous release (that we decided to roll back).

What has changed?
  • We now implemented the version check of save games also when using a continue button which should hopefully prevent people from destroying their saves as unfortunately happened last time. Please be aware that this doesn't change the fact that old save games should NOT be continued in the new version! Please make sure to stay on your previous patch level if you wish to finish off an ongoing game. You can find instructions on how to roll back here!
  • You will now have an option if you want to run with the old Steam multiplayer backend or use the new Nakama backend when you start up Europa Universalis IV. Unless you intend to play cross platform you might want to opt-in to using the Steam backend for now
Let's go over again why we are doing this update!

Europa Universalis IV will henceforth run the Nakama multiplayer backend which will allow for our developers to focus more on developing game features and content, and working on bugfixes rather than maintaining our own complex multiplayer platform.​
It also means that we will start supporting cross platform multiplayer games in the future, regardless of which platform you purchased EUIV on (The Microsoft version is still not updated so the feature is not yet available).​
It also means that you will now be required to be logged in to your Paradox Account to access multiplayer games. If you log in to your account from the game launcher you will remain logged in and should not have to repeat the process.​

Known Issues and workarounds
  • There might be compatibility issues with mods changing multiplayer UI and estate privileges UI.
  • Ironman savegames from 1.30.5 will lose their achievements eligibility.
  • Stability for nakama MP is still being measured and fixed so steam users having issues with it are recommended to try using steam MP
  • Loading a savegame of an older version using "Continue" will break the game. You do get a confirmation popup that tells you of the risk
  • Joining a friend from friends list will crash on linux
  • Cannot join an MP game hosted on OSX
  • There are occasions of games going out of sync on the first tick of a new multiplayer campaign. Saving the game and rehosting it from that save file should allow you to continue normally after that. We’re working on a permanent fix for the problem. - This issue should have been fixed from 1.30.5 -> 1.30.6 but I'm keeping it here in case it re-appear
  • Creating an account/logging in to your Paradox Account in-game will log you out if you restart the game.
    If you log in through the launcher before starting the game this should not be an issue.
    We are working on this problem as well.
    - This issue should have been fixed from 1.30.5 -> 1.30.6 but I'm keeping it here in case it re-appear
If you want to complete an ongoing save from before the patch, you should stay on 1.30.4/1.30.5 until you are ready to start a new game! Instructions on how to play on a previous version of the game can be found here! By opting in to these versions before the patch you will prevent the game from updating on patch release!

• Fixed crashes related to Mods changing estate privileges UI.
  • Continuing a savegame with a different version will show a confirmation dialog.
  • Continuing a savegame with incompatible save will show a confirmation dialog.
  • Fixed new Nakama server IDs not fitting into server ID field.
  • Steam version allows to switch between Nakama and Steam multiplayer backends.
  • Fixed so your steam username is used as MP nickname if your paradox account doesn't have one.
  • Fixes to reduce the amount of times you have to login into your paradox account to make nakama multiplayer easier to use.

As usual, please report any issues in our bug report forum or submit a support ticket. Thank you!

Some of you might be waiting for the EU4 Subscription service - this will not be activated immediately on the release of the patch. We'll communicate as soon as this option becomes available to everyone running EU4 through Steam on Windows.

Last edited:
  • 12Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
We now implemented the version check of save games also when using the continue button from the launcher
Does this also apply to the continue button in the main menu? The continue button in the launcher doesn't usually show ironman games anyway(or is it just me?).

Does this also apply to the continue button in the main menu? The continue button in the launcher doesn't usually show ironman games anyway(or is it just me?).

Yes!
I updated OP to be clearer

Reactions:
Are ongoing SP games affected by this, or just MP?
If you want to complete an ongoing save from before the patch, you should stay on 1.30.4/1.30.5 until you are ready to start a new game! Instructions on how to play on a previous version of the game can be found here! By opting in to these versions before the patch you will prevent the game from updating on patch release!

• There might be compatibility issues with mods changing multiplayer UI and estate privileges UI.
  • Fixed crashes related to Mods changing estate privileges UI.
Is the known issue above just related to the possible lack of a scrollbar? I'm a bit confused as it seems this has been highlighted as both something fixed and a known issue?

Why is semver used when not followed?

If 1.30.6 breaks saves from previous (1.30.4/1.30.5), it shouldn't be a patch bump.

Given a version number MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH, increment the:

1. MAJOR version when you make incompatible API changes,
  2. MINOR version when you add functionality in a backwards compatible manner, and
  3. PATCH version when you make backwards compatible bug fixes.
Additional labels for pre-release and build metadata are available as extensions to the MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH format.

Since this is not backwards compatible, it really shouldn't be a patch.

Oh and ~2 days notice on break change is not very nice

• 2Like
Reactions:
Is the known issue above just related to the possible lack of a scrollbar? I'm a bit confused as it seems this has been highlighted as both something fixed and a known issue?

- There are some fixes, but we know that these mods in particular (most mods usually) might have problems with the new patch

Why is semver used when not followed?

If 1.30.6 breaks saves from previous (1.30.4/1.30.5), it shouldn't be a patch bump.

Since this is not backwards compatible, it really shouldn't be a patch.

Oh and ~2 days notice on break change is not very nice

- This way you have a very easy option to prevent the update and accept the patch whenever you feel it's time. There will also be a warning in-game if you miss this post and try to load an old save anyway

Reactions:
- There are some fixes, but we know that these mods in particular (most mods usually) might have problems with the new patch

- This way you have a very easy option to prevent the update and accept the patch whenever you feel it's time. There will also be a warning in-game if you miss this post and try to load an old save anyway
Adding the warning is nice as I got hosed on the 1.30.5 rollout since I incorrectly assumed that paradox follows semver and there was not dlc release so I'd be fine.

But still doesn't change that something that looks like, but isn't semver is used, which makes things confusing for I'm sure a large number of players who don't follow dev dairies.

• 1Like
Reactions:

It's kinda sidestepping the question though? If this patch is not truly compatible with the rest of 1.30.X save files, why not just make it 1.31?

• 4Like
Reactions:
It's kinda sidestepping the question though? If this patch is not truly compatible with the rest of 1.30.X save files, why not just make it 1.31?

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are asking :/

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Guessing this will release along side the subscription service, but will there be a sale for the DLC anytime soon? Got my eye on Emperor and a few other expansions I haven't got yet!

Great,i had already asked for that before on the 1.30.5 thread,but if you are allowed to comment about that,@BjornB ,are there plans for a Plaza release in addition to MS Store and Steam as well? i'd like to see alternatives to Steam if possible.
Thanks for any replies about this.

Reactions:
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are asking :/
I was following up on pikas' question: In the past, a 1.30.2 save would be expected to work on 1.30.3 and allow achievements, with the understandable caveat that in a game so complex there may be oddities as a result. An iterative improvement of 1.30 would be expected to continue this trend, so that it's odd that this doesn't. It would be like having 1.29, which moved EU4 to 64 bit and of course would have wrecked 1.28.3 saves, be released as 1.28.4. I'm probably overthinking it, but a change that breaks current saves would make sense to me to be a new version number, namely 1.31. That way it's less likely people would get tripped up.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Why are versioning semantics important in this case? Are people allergic to reading patch notes?

To my understanding, major version is stuck at 1, so minor version numbering is used to separate content upgrades. This patch contains no such content (at least for SP) so it would be misleading to attribute the same importance as 1.28 -> 1.29 or 1.29 -> 1.30

Reactions:
I was following up on pikas' question: In the past, a 1.30.2 save would be expected to work on 1.30.3 and allow achievements, with the understandable caveat that in a game so complex there may be oddities as a result. An iterative improvement of 1.30 would be expected to continue this trend, so that it's odd that this doesn't. It would be like having 1.29, which moved EU4 to 64 bit and of course would have wrecked 1.28.3 saves, be released as 1.28.4. I'm probably overthinking it, but a change that breaks current saves would make sense to me to be a new version number, namely 1.31. That way it's less likely people would get tripped up.

Sadly the 64-bit change was also released as a patch and not as a version.

Looks like Paradox has no rules of how and when to update which number of a version for a game.

Reactions: