• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Originally posted by Dogface
"Crown of the North" is not an expansion to EU2. It's a distinct and incompatible game. I foresee grumbling in the USA over this.
They should have changed the ":" to an "&" in the title, since Svea Rike has no direct connection to EU.

Can someone tell me some of the unique qualities of Svea Rike, or CotN as it is called in this English version? I'd really like to know, it seems extremely interesting. Is it based off of a board game? Name seems familiar is all.

Can we play as Novgorod and teach your Catholic ancestor/heathens the ways of the True Church?:D

Last edited:
That's why you buy the PC game from Paradox and find many to play online.:)

I am happy to have a lot of board game liking friends and I play a lot and have done so my whole life (48 years old now :)).

Just the other year I bought Svea Rike and do you know, it turned out to be the most fun game we have ever played. Immediately when I introduced it to other persons the game they wanted to play next was Svea Rike again!

N.b., I said "fun". It is extremely fun because you can "shoot" at the leader in the game almost to an unlimited extent. This means the game is totally unpredictable. There is a very fun component in that you get a kind of free action cards each turn which you can use or save for later use. Then when another player says "It's my turn now and I am going to do this or that" then one of your action cards may be one that you can use in this situation. The most simple example is the Veto action card to just prohibit his move. Other examples is to play an action card that means everyone must be "taxes" and this may mean the player who was on turn have no money left for his preferred action. Everyone laughs a lot in the situations. "Gimme 5" all the time!

But, the game is not much a game of skill, on the contrary, since anyone going to the top gets kicked down it is very much a matter of luck in the end phase.

I have played surely 50 different board games, including all of these fantastic German "Spiel des Jahres" like The Settlers (the best board game there is in my opinion) and to repeat myself.: this is indeed the most fun game, but not the most intriguing or interesting. When we want to play skill games, as we most often want, Svea Rike is out of the picture.

Originally posted by Daniel A
I am happy to have a lot of board game liking friends and I play a lot and have done so my whole life (48 years old now :)).

Just the other year I bought Svea Rike and do you know, it turned out to be the most fun game we have ever played. Immediately when I introduced it to other persons the game they wanted to play next was Svea Rike again!

N.b., I said "fun". It is extremely fun because you can "shoot" at the leader in the game almost to an unlimited extent. This means the game is totally unpredictable. There is a very fun component in that you get a kind of free action cards each turn which you can use or save for later use. Then when another player says "It's my turn now and I am going to do this or that" then one of your action cards may be one that you can use in this situation. The most simple example is the Veto action card to just prohibit his move. Other examples is to play an action card that means everyone must be "taxes" and this may mean the player who was on turn have no money left for his preferred action. Everyone laughs a lot in the situations. "Gimme 5" all the time!

But, the game is not much a game of skill, on the contrary, since anyone going to the top gets kicked down it is very much a matter of luck in the end phase.

I have played surely 50 different board games, including all of these fantastic German "Spiel des Jahres" like The Settlers (the best board game there is in my opinion) and to repeat myself.: this is indeed the most fun game, but not the most intriguing or interesting. When we want to play skill games, as we most often want, Svea Rike is out of the picture.

When we made it (yes, some of the people at Paradox were involved in the development of the family game as we were Target Games/Casper back then) our goal was to make a fun game ;)

Glad you like it!

:) Patric

I could be interested in buying CoN, but would like to know more about the extra "goodies" for EU2 - what are they? They've been mentioned a number of times, but no details about them have been supplied. Are they extra scenarios? If so, what are they? Or are they extra events and/or leaders? Or both? Or something else?

regards

Paul

Originally posted by clb
SF says:

Includes 3 new fully playable campaigns set in the Europa Universalis II world: the Alternative Grand Campaign, Independent Europe and Vinland.

EDIT:

SF also says:

Release Date: Spring 2003:D

dies anyone remember the game called kingmaker??? this reminds of that game though settings are different i.e that was set in high middle ages in england and this one is set in scandanavia.........am i right in this......is this going to be a game at provincial level or we can play or micro-manage it at county level too