• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. Today we’ll be talking a little bit about how colonial nations are evolving with Leviathan.

When a colony nation is formed you can pick what kind of colony this will be. This type of colony can then be upgraded for a cost for the overlord and a change of liberty desire for the subject. You can always change a colony to become another type of colony, but that will increase their liberty desire.

eu4_27.png

Crown Colony
This type of colony is for areas you want to have most control over, where liberty desire should be lowest.
  • global_autonomy = -0.05
  • recover_army_morale_speed = 0.02
  • embracement_cost = -0.1
  • governing_capacity = 100
  • global_colonial_growth = 10

Increase Draft from Colony (+10 Liberty Desire)
+5 Land Forcelimit for Overlord & -5 Land Forcelimit for Subject
Enlarge the Gold Fleet (+10 Liberty Desire)
+20% Treasure Fleet Income for overlord
Increase Religious Control (+10 Liberty Desire)
+1% Missionary Strength & -1 Heathen Tolerance for Subject
Increase Integration (-10 Liberty Desire)
-10 Liberty Desire for Subject & TBD for Overlord

Private Enterprise
This is the colony type you want to have when you want to maximize profits, where you want the colony to providea strong navy and control trade.
  • global_ship_trade_power = 0.2
  • merchants = 1
  • production_efficiency = 0.05
  • global_trade_goods_size_modifier = 0.2
  • naval_tradition_from_trade = 0.1
  • ship_power_propagation = 0.1
  • 5% less Tariffs for Overlord

Increase Trade Power Transfer (+10 Liberty Desire)
+2% Trade Power for Overlord, and -10% Trade Power for Subject
Encourage Cash Crops (+10 Liberty Desire)
Increases likelihood of cash-crop goods to appear for subjects new colonies.
Increase Navies from Colony (+10 Liberty Desire)
+5 Naval Forcelimit for Overlord & -5 Naval Forcelimit for Subject
Increase the Gold Tax (+10 Liberty Desire)
Effects TBD

Self-Governing Colony
This is the colony type that will expand and develop fastest, but they will have the highest liberty desire, and the perks you can give them are not beneficial directly to you.

• merchants = 1
  • colonists = 1
  • development_cost = -0.15
  • liberty_desire = 25
  • 10% less Tariffs for Overlord

Allow Autonomous Trade (-5 Liberty Desire)
+5% more trade power for subject.
Allow Autonomous Taxing (-5 Liberty Desire)
+5% more tax for subject
Allow Autonomous Militias (-5 Liberty Desire)
+5% more manpower for subject
Allow Autonomous Navy (-5 Liberty Desire)
+10% more Sailors for Subject

There are also different events happening depending on which colonial type your colony is.
eu4_28.png

We are not just adding new features and polishing them, for 1.31 there is also currently over 500 different older bugs that has been fixed so far, and we have been busy tweaking and improving the interface as well.

Some of the UI improvements include.

- Alert for Inactive Merchants
- Alert for when one of your coasts are being invaded by an army.
- When you view rebels in the stability view, the locations will revolt risk for that rebel will highlight on then map.

Now we are taking a small hiatus from development diaries, until we are back to talk about diplomacy by the end of March.

Last edited:
Hello everyone and welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. Today we’ll be talking a little bit about how colonial nations are evolving with Leviathan.

When a colony nation is formed you can pick what kind of colony this will be. This type of colony can then be upgraded for a cost for the overlord and a change of liberty desire for the subject. You can always change a colony to become another type of colony, but that will increase their liberty desire.

View attachment 690253
Crown Colony
This type of colony is for areas you want to have most control over, where liberty desire should be lowest.
  • recover_army_morale_speed = 0.02
  • governing_capacity = 100
  • global_colonial_growth = 10

Increase Draft from Colony (+10 Liberty Desire)
+5 Land Forcelimit for Overlord & -5 Land Forcelimit for Subject
Enlarge the Gold Fleet (+10 Liberty Desire)
+20% Treasure Fleet Income for overlord
Increase Religious Control (+10 Liberty Desire)
+1% Missionary Strength & -1 Heathen Tolerance for Subject
Increase Integration (-10 Liberty Desire)
-10 Liberty Desire for Subject & TBD for Overlord

Private Enterprise
This is the colony type you want to have when you want to maximize profits, where you want the colony to providea strong navy and control trade.
  • merchants = 1
  • global_trade_goods_size_modifier = 0.2
  • naval_tradition_from_trade = 0.1
  • ship_power_propagation = 0.1
  • 5% less Tariffs for Overlord

Increase Trade Power Transfer (+10 Liberty Desire)
+2% Trade Power for Overlord, and -10% Trade Power for Subject
Encourage Cash Crops (+10 Liberty Desire)
Increases likelihood of cash-crop goods to appear for subjects new colonies.
Increase Navies from Colony (+10 Liberty Desire)
+5 Naval Forcelimit for Overlord & -5 Naval Forcelimit for Subject
Increase the Gold Tax (+10 Liberty Desire)
Effects TBD

Self-Governing Colony
This is the colony type that will expand and develop fastest, but they will have the highest liberty desire, and the perks you can give them are not beneficial directly to you.

• merchants = 1
  • colonists = 1
  • development_cost = -0.15
  • liberty_desire = 25
  • 10% less Tariffs for Overlord

Allow Autonomous Trade (-5 Liberty Desire)
+5% more trade power for subject.
Allow Autonomous Taxing (-5 Liberty Desire)
+5% more tax for subject
Allow Autonomous Militias (-5 Liberty Desire)
+5% more manpower for subject
Allow Autonomous Navy (-5 Liberty Desire)
+10% more Sailors for Subject

There are also different events happening depending on which colonial type your colony is.
View attachment 690254

We are not just adding new features and polishing them, for 1.31 there is also currently over 500 different older bugs that has been fixed so far, and we have been busy tweaking and improving the interface as well.

Some of the UI improvements include.

- Alert for Inactive Merchants
- Alert for when one of your coasts are being invaded by an army.
- When you view rebels in the stability view, the locations will revolt risk for that rebel will highlight on then map.

Now we are taking a small hiatus from development diaries, until we are back to talk about diplomacy by the end of March.
Been dreaming about something like that for quite some time ! Thanks so much.

• 3Like
Reactions:
If I understand correctly the listed modifiers per colony type are for the colonial nation, right?

But I don't understand this:

Extra governing capacity for a colonial nation? What is the point? Do they have a too limited capacity then? And the global autonomy and global colonial growth modifiers are for the colonial nation??? Can someone clarify, please?

I guess the idea is for you to make Mexico a crown colony because that CN is one, if not the, biggest and has the most sense development.

The problem is that the player can never know their subject's Governing Capacity (maybe you can indirectly know if they are over their capacity by checking one of the debbufs that you get when going over but I don't consider this intended design) which makes the decision of giving them 100 GC really weird.

@Johan
You should make it to where as a default colonies will convert native cultures or force them to moved. So for example, if you moved a Cherokee culture province to another Cherokee culture province it will increase the development by some base number, decrease the development of the province they are being moved from, and change the culture to the primary culture of the colony. If you force move a Cherokee culture province to a Non-Cherokee culture province lets say a Carib. then it would do the prior but the development wouldn't increase as much (lets say half) and the culture would change to Cherokee. If the initial Cherokee province was larger (development wise) than the Carib, if not then it keeps its Carib culture. However, colonies wouldn't convert European, African, or Asian cultures, unless the ability is unlocked. that way it can show the more historic way it kind of happened better instead of having most of New York being Iroquois by 1821 because the AI doesn't culture convert anymore. Also it will make things like French in British Canada happen within your game or whatever random shenanigans occur. You could also make it to where your colonies don't do this as was present in our timeline with the French in Louisiana and Canada as they mostly just traded with the natives. These could be policies in the subject screen or something of the like. (all the cultures I used were for demonstrative purposes, first I thought of)

Speaking of which there should be more colonial cultures, for Germans, Swedes/Danes/Norwegians, French, Italians, Dutch, and since the Mamluks have an incessant need to colonize Australia in every game I play them as well lol.

@Johan
You should make it to where as a default colonies will convert native cultures or force them to moved. So for example, if you moved a Cherokee culture province to another Cherokee culture province it will increase the development by some base number, decrease the development of the province they are being moved from, and change the culture to the primary culture of the colony. If you force move a Cherokee culture province to a Non-Cherokee culture province lets say a Carib. then it would do the prior but the development wouldn't increase as much (lets say half) and the culture would change to Cherokee. If the initial Cherokee province was larger (development wise) than the Carib, if not then it keeps its Carib culture. However, colonies wouldn't convert European, African, or Asian cultures, unless the ability is unlocked. that way it can show the more historic way it kind of happened better instead of having most of New York being Iroquois by 1821 because the AI doesn't culture convert anymore. Also it will make things like French in British Canada happen within your game or whatever random shenanigans occur. You could also make it to where your colonies don't do this as was present in our timeline with the French in Louisiana and Canada as they mostly just traded with the natives. These could be policies in the subject screen or something of the like. (all the cultures I used were for demonstrative purposes, first I thought of)

Speaking of which there should be more colonial cultures, for Germans, Swedes/Danes/Norwegians, French, Italians, Dutch, and since the Mamluks have an incessant need to colonize Australia in every game I play them as well lol.
don't know whether this should be default, but I do agree it should be a thing.

• 1Like
Reactions:
When a colony nation is formed you can pick what kind of colony this will be.
What if I don't choose? Do I have to or is it optional as estate bonuses?
Once I select one, can I unselect without changing to another relation?
Will the post colonial nations that don't have national ideas, receive their own set? (I made a post about it).
Will colonial nations and post colonial and any other nation, be able to build brand new monuments?
Can the overlord integrate colonial nations? So they stop being a subject and become my land.

Thank you!

Reactions:
I guess the idea is for you to make Mexico a crown colony because that CN is one, if not the, biggest and has the most sense development.

The problem is that the player can never know their subject's Governing Capacity (maybe you can indirectly know if they are over their capacity by checking one of the debbufs that you get when going over but I don't consider this intended design) which makes the decision of giving them 100 GC really weird.
I think it was mentioned in one of the previous DDs that you will be able to check subjects Governing Capacity in Leviathan

If that was the case I'd be fine with it; there isn't always new and exciting things to talk about which is perfectly normal. But they are making the Dev diaries and they are posting them to Steam but they don't put them on the Featured Content page on the forum. That's where my gripe is.

Ah I see. No idea why they choose that.

Surely this is the perfect time to add a feature that prevents colonial subjects from expanding into regions that are not their own, even if this is just set to a toggle, it always upsets me when colonial nations partake in border gore when regional boundaries are so well defined on the map mode

Reactions:
This kind of makes me wish all the world could have colonies so I could have my own little proper autonomous east india company.

The fact that trade companies are not actual subjects still baffles me. I get that paradox wanted to do something different with TCs and not simply mimic the colonial nations, but you could have very different subject interactions between colonial subjects and TCs.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Yeah, absolutely necessary. There's no way to simulate a war for independence in Iron Man.
Absolutely. Should be very easy to implement as an event, similar to the one you get when pirate nations pop up. When a CN gets created you get an event asking you whether if you want to play as it or you want to keep playing as the overlord.

Reactions:
Can we please see a system where colonial nations will convert native cultures, I want to see Mexico actually become Mexican for once
How much of mexican you want Mexico to be at 1821?
I say this because at that time of our independence Mexico was >60% indigenous peoples that did not even speak spanish.

Contrary to popular believe the suppression of natives identity was accelerated by the Mexican goverment of the 19th century with the idea that those regional cultures were an obstacle to the modernization and build of a unified national identity. Many of the native allies lands recognized by the spanish colonial government were usurped by mexican criollos and mestizos, and we had huge revolts like the ones from the Yaquis and the long lasting mayan state of Cruzoob. Add to all these the european immigration from late 19th and early 20th century and the change from rural to urban population all along 20th century and you would get the current Mexico that still is >10% indigenous peoples.

The build of a Mexican culture was mainly on the urban, commercial and administrative cores like México city, Puebla, Veracruz, Guadalajara, Acapulco, Guanajuato, Zacatecas, etc. Plus the regions of more nomadic peoples on the north.

How spanish colonial goverment dealt with the native majority? With the recognition of ally native lands, authorities and culture (beyond the more obvious heathen practices) through the "Repúblicas de Indios". On game this could be a spanish colonial estate that help to keep loyal the provinces with native cultures or at least the ones from Mesoamerican and the Anden regions.

• 2Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
How much of mexican you want Mexico to be at 1821?
I say this because at that time of our independence Mexico was >60% indigenous peoples that did not even speak spanish.

Contrary to popular believe the suppression of natives identity was accelerated by the Mexican goverment of the 19th century with the idea that those regional cultures were an obstacle to the modernization and build of a unified national identity. Many of the native allies lands recognized by the spanish colonial government were usurped by mexican criollos and mestizos, and we had huge revolts like the ones from the Yaquis and the long lasting mayan state of Cruzoob. Add to all these the european immigration from late 19th and early 20th century and the change from rural to urban population all along 20th century and you would get the current Mexico that still is >10% indigenous peoples.

The build of a Mexican culture was mainly on the urban, commercial and administrative cores like México city, Puebla, Veracruz, Guadalajara, Acapulco, Guanajuato, Zacatecas, etc. Plus the regions of more nomadic peoples on the north.

How spanish colonial goverment dealt with the native majority? With the recognition of ally native lands, authorities and culture (beyond the more obvious heathen practices) through the "Repúblicas de Indios". On game this could be a spanish colonial estate that help to keep loyal the provinces with native cultures or at least the ones from Mesoamerican and the Anden regions.
Like with colonizing the Pacific, it feels like a lot of people are projecting the status quo from the late 1800s/early 1900s onto the way things should turn out in EU4.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Great to hear that those pesky bugs are being finally quashed.

@Johan , is one of those bugs the AI spiraling debt? The inability to have powerful AI, while playing as a small country, completely broke the game for me.

I ceased to play EU the moment Emperor was released, and I am hoping that several months later, finally this weird bug will be adressed.

Last edited:
It seems a nice change although Colonial Nations are kinda useless at the moment because tariffs are so low that it just isn't worth it to make a real effort in America (except for the gold). I'd suggest that you revert the tariffs nerf that was set a few patches ago so CN are useful again. It would also be cool if you could make a way of representing colonial wars where there were small armies and strategically located forts

• 1Love
Reactions: