• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Glanzor

First Lieutenant
37 Badges
Oct 16, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Victoria: Revolutions
I have always liked the Paradox game converters, both the official CK2-EU4-converter and the various fan made ones.
When I started playing EU Rome roughly a year ago, the fact that I couldn't convert my game here was kind of dissapointing for me.
So I sat down with a friend of mine who knows how to code and we threw together this little program here.
It is still a little bit rough around the edges but has so far passed all the testing I put it through so I am releasing it for the general public.

The inofficial EU Rome -> CK2 save game converter

So what does this do? It converts a EU Rome savegame into a mod for CK2.

The current converter version is 1.3.
You can find the changes from the previous version here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...me-ck2-converter.1065234/page-4#post-25676703
1.3 changes: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...me-ck2-converter.1065234/page-3#post-25080662
1.2 changes: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...me-ck2-converter.1065234/page-3#post-24670738
1.1 changes: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eurome-ck2-converter.1065234/#post-23780945

In its current form it converts the following:

1) All Characters:
- dynasty and family relationships
- most traits of EU Rome are converted to a CK2 equivalent (altough since Rome has more traits that can lead to a character having two opposite traits)
- culture: cultures with a clear CK2 equivalent (greek, persian, suebi ...) are converted to that. Others are mapped to a custom one
- religion: the converter adds two new religions; a pre-reformed Semitic Pagan religion for phoenicians and carthagians and a reformable Druidic Pagan religion for the celts. Every other religion converts to its closest CK2 counterpart

2) Nations
- nations are converted into CK2 titles hold by their ruler. If a title exists in vanilla CK2 that fits the EU Rome nation (like the Roman Empire or the Kingdom of Armenia) it will use that, otherwise it will create a custom made (usually duchy-tier) title
- governeurs are now count-tier rulers under their old king

- government forms are also converted. Usually to feudal, tribal or merchant republic (if possible) but unplayable government likle theocracy or inland republics might also pop up (if appropriate)
-Revolts are ignored for now

3) Provinces
- The only stuff converted here are religion, culture and capital government form, for now anyway
- Uncolonized provinces are empty initially, but when you start the game they will automatically be filled with a randomly created count-level tribal chief with the province's religion and culture.

So, how does it work?

1) First you have to make sure you have the newest version of Java installed, since this is a java program.
You can download it on Java's website, here: https://java.com/en/download/

2) Now download the converter from the link at the bottom of this post. Unpack it in a folder on your computer and click in the file named "StartConversion"

3) A popup should open asking you for the EU-Rome-save game you want to convert and your CK2-mod folder.
You should find the former under "C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Europa Universalis Rome/save games" (if you have an Windows OS and EURome installed on Steam) and the latter in your "Documents/Paradox/Crusader Kings II" folder. Then click on "Continue".

4) A new popup should open informing you of the conversion in progress and asking you to wait. You should do just that. A few minutes at least.

5) After a while, another popup will come herolding the success of the conversion. You can now close the converter, then open CK2 and choose the name of your savegame in the "mod" tab.
Note that the converter has no error popup or anything. If the conversion just goes on and on for more then 20 minutes it has likely failed and you should contact us through this thread.

6) Please post any bugs and errors you find, as well as all suggestions, amusing screenshots and otherwhise noteworthy things here in this thread! Thank you.

Additional Informations

The converter requires either the Vae Victis expansion of EU Rome or the Gold Edition to work.
CK2 DLCs are not required. However "The Old Gods" is recommended, for hopefully obvious reasons.

No mods of any kind are supported right now!

Also note that the dynasty view will not work properly in CK2 for most converted characters! This is a problem I don't know how to fix since it is caused by the drastically different dynasty system the two games have.

Screenshots

45E7AE89A5F84EA5453CCB11F40D5B54B01898A7

136DA4FF009D5037A67206459252A66612BCAB88

Attachments

• rome-ck2-converter_1.4.zip
    1,4 MB · Views: 100
Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Glad to hear that! Let me know how it worked out for you.
I won’t have time to really play until sometime later today, however I wouldn’t mind writing up some “Rise of Christianity/Islam” events for the game to bring some realism into it, I was planning on doing a megacampaign (Rome-ck2-eu4-vic2-hoi4) and I think it’d help some other people. Only thing I’m unsure about it is how to decide whether they’d be Sunni/Shiite/Catholic/Orthodox.

Well, like I said, at this moment the converter is still pretty basic. I haven't really touched any of the provinces that exist outside EU Rome's scope - like for example Ethiopia and the Arabian penisula. That means Islam and Christianity are still around in converted games. In addition, since the pope always exists in CK2, even when he doesn't own any land, there are even going to be catholic crusades once the time is right.

But yeah, eventually I want to find a better solution to that and a “Rise of Christianity/Islam” event chain was exactly what I had in mind. It's just not as high a priority right now as making sure the converter runs properly.

Last edited:
This looks amazing, I'll try it when I get home, have you considered asking the guys at WTWSMS if you can use some of their stuff? They add a lot of flavour for classical-era things, could be useful for converted religions. Maybe eventually it would be very cool if you could convert direct to WTWSMS actually, the start date makes more sense, and they are already working on a rise of islam event...

I am not familar with the WTWSMS mod actually.
But you might be on to something here. Could be smarter to add stuff from an already functioning mod rather than make flavor events myself ... I'll look into it.
For now though I try to keep the converter as simple as possible to keep testing easier.

On that note, please tell me how your run with it worked out, especially if you found anything buggy and/or interesting.

:) If you can I recommend bringing back the date of Ck2 to about 100 AD and modding in a Christianity rising crisis at some point, so people can have the opportunity to try and either defend Rome from Christian conversion or convert it to Christdom.

I also recommend however converting it over to "When the World Stopped Making Sense" however, as that would require much less work and let you take advantage of the wonderful mechanics already in that game for Hellenic and Celts (As well as an existing "Rise of Islam" event.), meaning all you'd have to do is script the crisis with Christianity as well as the growing instability in Rome (So that it becomes a challenge to keep the thing together and also a challenge to defy history and keep it pagan)

Finally, is this converter compatible with the "Reign of the Ancients" mod?

Last edited:
Mod compatibility is a tricky issue for me, since I don't play with mods myself. So I don't really know any of the popular mods and what they change.

While I do want to make the converter compatible with those mods in the long term, WTWSMS in particular is a difficult case since it changes the province setup of CK2. Province mapping is the most time- and labour-intensive part of the converter creation.

So I'd honestly rather priorize a complete vanilla-compatible conversion first, since that is what I personally am most interesting in.
Therefore I think I am going to write those events myself rather than relying on another person's mod that I know very little about.

The silver linging for those of you who don't want to wait for months until I get around to the mod issue:
The mappings in the converter aren't hard coded. The program knows what to convert to what from a number of little .txt files in the "data" folder that comes with the converter that you can change yourself.
So if you are familiar with the inner workings of you favorite mods and know a thing or two about CK2 modding you might be able to implement that mod compatibility yourself!
It will take quite a bit of work and time but it would take that for me too.
I'm going to add a little readme file with instructions the next time I update the converter.

As for "Reign of the Ancients": I am not familiar enough with the mod yet to say.
I doubt it is compatible. If it doesn't add new provinces I can probably make it compatible quite easy, though.
I will look into it next weekend.

Thats fair :) If you can code the events just as well then there's no need to use WTWSMS as a base. Best of luck and I'm seriously looking forward to what you make! (And as well to trying my luck at preserving Pagan Rome)

I have uploaded a new version of the converter. This is version 1.1

Changes:
- Druidic pagans can now worship the ancestors
- Druidic, Semitic and Hellenic pagans can now pick a patron deity
- Added support for the EU4 exporter
- Added a readme file with instructions for conversion modding

Last edited:
I have uploaded a new version of the converter. This is version 1.1

Changes:
- Druidic pagans can now worship the ancestors
- Druidic, Semitic and Hellenic pagans can now pick a patron deity
- Added support for the EU4 exporter
- Added a readme file with instructions for conversion modding
Aww darn, I'm in the 1200s in my current game. Is there anyway to make my game compatible with the EU4 converter without starting over?

I just would like to say I've been enjoying this converter so much. Truly gives this great alternate history scenario. For comparison here's my game at the end of EU:ROME
w6l20f7.png
As you can tell it's ruled by 3 major powers, Rome, the Selecuid Empire and Egypt. I keep rotating between characters in EU:Rome/CK2.
And here's my game currently in CKII:

ehGrQR0.png

All 3 major powers from EU:Rome are now gone (Rome fell because of me and the help of China ;)) and the dominant religions of the world are Samaritanism (you can see my Israel), Hindu and Catholicism (I did some modding in EU:Rome to create the religion in the Roman Empire.

Again thanks a ton, I'll probably make an AAR about it once I'm finished HOI4 or possibly Victoria 2:NWO if I really wanna go that far.

Glad you are having fun with it! Looking forward to your AAR. Hope you made screenshots.

And yeah, the Roman and Seleucid Empires tend to fall apart in CK2 when left to the AI. Probaby because they don't have de jure land.
But I think that's only fitting. It wouldn't really feel medieval if it didn't take place in the ruins of Rome would it?

Glad you are having fun with it! Looking forward to your AAR. Hope you made screenshots.

And yeah, the Roman and Seleucid Empires tend to fall apart in CK2 when left to the AI. Probaby because they don't have de jure land.
But I think that's only fitting. It wouldn't really feel medieval if it didn't take place in the ruins of Rome would it?

Taken quite a bit of screenshots! Only exception really being Eu:Rome because I hadn’t planned to make it a Megacampaign at first.

Definitely agree, I love that it creates this nice feeling of truly living in a world where antiquity is a thing of the past and everything’s much more chaotic.

Are you going to continue work on this mod? Not a lot of people downloaded it so I presume that you may feel discouraged.
I sure hope it'll stay updated for the next few updates. I'm willing to help anyway I can for it's development.

Rome ends somewhere around year 1 with a birth of Christ if I correctly remember final event. It's strange that save is converted to 769. Could it be possible to make a proper date? It would require also changing rest of the world and adding events about christianity and islam. Events with invasions of franks, visigoths, slavs, huns etc would also be nice.

It's sad but one may think it's too much work for such an old and unpopular game.