EUIV - Update on 1.29 Manchu and Known Issues and workarounds! (updated 2019-09-24)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HottestRod

Associate Product Marketing Manager
May 14, 2018
Hi everyone,

We are aware that the 1.29 Manchu Update has caused a few, yet important, issues for some of you. The team would like to thank you for your feedback - whether on the forum or social media - we are currently hard at work fixing the issues stemming from the Update and we will keep you posted!

Here is a list of known issues tied to the Manchu Update. If you have another problem that is not listed below, feel free to drop us a message on our bug subforum or in this thread.

Are you a modder? Here is a guide for you!

List of Known Issues (updated 2019-09-23)
  • Mods appear as disabled/appear twice/don't work when enabled (thread here for the guide to fix)
  • The game fails to start: an error occurred while updating Europa Universalis IV (missing executable): Missing dowser.exe bug [fixed for Linux and MAC, deploying with the next fix] - Fixed
  • 'DLCs are not enabling and showing as owned as they should’
  • I am missing DLCs when I rollback and launch through the .exe
  • Launcher doesn't display warning for copyrighted materials (Sabaton Music pack DLCs)
  • The Launcher does not clearly display warning for outdated mods [you will get a CTD for outdated mods] - temporary fix: the game will now notify you which mods are outdated when you launch with them active.
  • I get the error “unable to install paradox launcher error 1603” - Workaround for now: Launch the dowser.exe OR steam as an administrator.
  • I get no ID when I try to publish my mod to steam.
  • The new launcher can break borderless fullscreen or any non standard sized screen (for now please change your display mode to fullscreen both in the launcher and in the game menu) - This is now less of an issue with the scaling partly fixed - some issues may persist however in which case please switch to standard fullscreen.
  • Launcher doesn't find CK2 converted games (please see this comment for a temporary fix)
  • Replace_path not working - Fixed
  • The Launcher runs after the game closes
  • Reported slow down in performance - Not confirmed! Please post bug reports in our bug report forum if you are experiencing this so that we can investigate further
  • Some modders are struggling to upload or update their mods thumbnails - one fix that works for some people is to name the thumbnail 'thumbnail' and ensure that it is a .png file. Then refer to the thumbnail as before using: picture="thumbnail.png"

Last edited by a moderator:
In the "missing dowser.exe bug" item, where you say "[fixed for Linux and MAC]," has the fix been released, or does that mean you've fixed it in an internal build?

For the "missing dowser.exe" bug on Windows, launching EU4 from the installation directory (eg: SteamApps/Common/Europa Universalis IV/eu4.exe) works for me.

Additionally, I think this bug appears only when you've rolled back to 1.28.3
My guess is that Steam tries to find the executable for the new launcher, while 1.28.3 needs the old launcher.

You're abandoning support for EU4 and HOI4 for Mac users like me? I tried opening EU4 from Steam on my iMac, and instead it displayed a Paradox Launcher icon before being disappearing. It was working Monday too. I tried reinstalling EU4 over and over again to no avail.

Does this mean I'm gonna have to wait months or pay thousands of dollars for a PC just to play again?

How long till a fix is in order?

You're abandoning support for EU4 and HOI4 for Mac users like me? I tried opening EU4 from Steam on my iMac, and instead it displayed a Paradox Launcher icon before being disappearing. It was working Monday too. I tried reinstalling EU4 over and over again to no avail.

Does this mean I'm gonna have to wait months or pay thousands of dollars for a PC just to play again?

Our devs are working as fast as possible to deliver a patch for all users. And Nitro, rest assured we are aware of your issue.

In the "missing dowser.exe bug" item, where you say "[fixed for Linux and MAC]," has the fix been released, or does that mean you've fixed it in an internal build?
Deploying with the next fix, will check internally

I see, so it's Rod who came to take the fire for this...
What shall the mob do with Rod now...?

Could you please make a button specific for updating mods, "create", "upload" is understandable, but it'd be much more easy to understand if there was a separate "update" one as well.

Deploying with the next fix, will check internally
Checked internally. Fixed for Mac and Linux. Working On it for windows. There are a bunch of caveats to the fix but I am on my way home, will pass them on to you tomorrow. Ping me if I forget.

FYI: our ambassador Count Cristo has worked hard to compile temporary fixes will pass it on the morrow.

I encountered weird thing... in my manchu game I was lacking xilin gol to form qing so I stayed as manchu after becoming emperor(did early for economy)
event came and converted me to qing
but when I formed qind unlike description says I didnt harmonize tengri religion?
came here to write this to bugs section then saw this thread and said "what can happen at worst" :D
even if you are not intrested people that gonna form qing becareful :p

Cannot change refresh rate in game since it resets to 60hz after every game restart. Only workaround is to play in Fullscreen Borderless, but that has issues on its own i heard.