EUIV - Quick Questions / Quick Answers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In the specific case the flat Governing Capacity cost from Expand Infrastructure, it is added at the very end of the usual pattern, so there is nothing that mitigates it. Regardless of the order you do it.

Thanks. I saw that. I was tinkering with both. Its crazy that you can centralize 4x in each state, and effectively have 0 gc. So Prussia, for example, could have 10k dev and still be at zero gc, and easily stay at max disc.

Did you try to load your last baclup/autosave and switch to your ally and see if the AI would have accepted the call-to-arms in your place? If it is an ironman save, you have to melt i first (e.g. with https://pdx.tools/ )
yes im playing ironman, i also wondered how am i able to call in sometimes allies that usually had the "fighting in another war" modifier, something definitely changed, like the AI building forts now, hehe

Is there anything useful to spend gov reform points on, other than increasing gov cap and centralising states?
  • I really don't need gov cap (I'm using 750/2280 for 5k development, thanks to courthouses everywhere)
  • Centralising states doesn't seem particularly useful (and it requires admin points, which are needed for tech & cores)
  • I've got all the government reforms I want, and I don't want to switch to monarchy/theocracy.
Basically, I rarely play after 1700, so I'm wondering if I'm missing anything that might seem obvious to the wider community...
There are a few negative events which you can lessen the impact if you take a hit to government reform points, but other than that your list above has it covered. If you are that far under the cap, maybe consider more useful buildings than courthouses in some of your provinces?

Reactions:
For the purpose of Songhain mission Unite the Tribes, what does it mean to have the Fetishist dominant religion? Most provinces or most dev? Also, where can I check my progress towards having this dominant religion?

Last edited:
For the purpose of Songhain mission Unite the Tribes, what does it mean to have the Fetishist dominant religion? Most provinces or most dev? Also, where can I check my progress towards having this dominant religion?
Any faith to be dominant has to have the most of the development share of all your provinces. So for example if you have 3 different religions present in your lands, with 34-33-33% share, the 34% one would be dominant. In Songhai's starting position that essentially means 50%+ though, because only Sunni and Fetishist are present. You can check under Charts in the Economy section of the ledger, but that displays the share of provinces IRC, not development. If you want to make sure, you can either manually add up each province's development, or use an external source, like pdx.tools to upload your savegame and it displays the correct ratios.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Does anyone know why certain modded countries start with zero troops and little manpower while other modded countries start with some?
What are you modding, exactly? Starting fleets and armies seem tied to countries' force limits, and I think manpower and sailors work similarly, but based on max manpower and sailor pool sizes. I don't know what functions relate all these values, though.

Is the AI's process for assigning provinces to trade companies or states well understood? The AI seems far too eager to assign overseas provinces to states rather than trade companies right now. As far as I can tell, except for states containing gold or other very valuable trade goods, the AI would generally be better off assigning provinces to trade companies until it has 51% of the trade power in a given trade company region.

Is the AI's process for assigning provinces to trade companies or states well understood? The AI seems far too eager to assign overseas provinces to states rather than trade companies right now. As far as I can tell, except for states containing gold or other very valuable trade goods, the AI would generally be better off assigning provinces to trade companies until it has 51% of the trade power in a given trade company region.
The AI does not gamble on being able to get to 51% trade power. And if you are not either getting the Merchant, have GC problems, or buy a bunch of investments, then a state is better than a TC. None of which is common for the AI.

The AI does not gamble on being able to get to 51% trade power. And if you are not either getting the Merchant, have GC problems, or buy a bunch of investments, then a state is better than a TC. None of which is common for the AI.
Really? I haven't done the math but, even accounting for the foregone trade power and the higher maintenance costs on distant states, states make better economic sense for all plausible tax and production revenues everywhere in the world?

If you know, can you confirm there isn't a way to modify this behavior? I could nerf governing capacity into the ground or outright prohibit the creation of overseas states outside of colonial regions, but of those methods are obviously pretty crude.

Edit: I suppose I could increase the distance continent modifiers for state maintenance costs.

Last edited:
Question related to Golden Bulls:

While playing as the Papal States, when can I use "Libertas Ecclesiae"?
According to wiki it can be used while: "The country is the emperor of the Holy Roman Empire which has Catholicism as the official unchangeable faith."

But how can I become the HRE Emperor while playing the Papal States?
I guess its not even possible with my Goverment form.

Question related to Golden Bulls:

While playing as the Papal States, when can I use "Libertas Ecclesiae"?
According to wiki it can be used while: "The country is the emperor of the Holy Roman Empire which has Catholicism as the official unchangeable faith."

But how can I become the HRE Emperor while playing the Papal States?
I guess its not even possible with my Goverment form.
Why would you want the "Libertas Ecclesiae" bull if you are not the emperor? It is intended to be used by the emperor when he becomes papal controller.
The papal states is not supposed to be able to become emperor, but there are some exploits which can make them eligible

While playing as The Papal States allied to the Emperor (Austria) The Shadow Kingdom event triggered.
I have decied to stay in the HRE.
The event was saying that I will get some negative modifiers to prestige, stability etc. if I will stay in it.

However I am now part of HRE as The Papal States and I do not see these negative modifiers.
No country modifiers, no extra cost for prestige or stability.
Why I do not have it?

While playing as The Papal States allied to the Emperor (Austria) The Shadow Kingdom event triggered.
The event was saying that I will get some negative modifiers to prestige, stability etc. if I will stay in it.

However I am now part of HRE as The Papal States and I do not see these negative modifiers.
Why I do not have it?
I'm pretty sure the event mentions that you get those penalties unless you are allied to the emperor.

Reactions:

Why I do not have it?
Because you are allied to the Emperor.

"Submission to the Emperor" is a triggered modifier that gives +3 unrest, +10% stab cost and -1 prestige/year but only applies when:
  • The Shadow Kingdom event has happened or the start date of the campaign was 1 January 1495 or later.
  • is in the Latin culture group.
  • is not the emperor of the HRE.
  • is not Italy.
  • has its capital in the HRE.
  • year is before 1550.
  • is not allied with the emperor of the HRE.

Reactions:
What are you modding, exactly? Starting fleets and armies seem tied to countries' force limits, and I think manpower and sailors work similarly, but based on max manpower and sailor pool sizes. I don't know what functions relate all these values, though.
I figured out the problem: if in the country file in the history folder, you only have a "fixed_capital" and no "capital", the country will start with 0 troops.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hello
I want to attack Ava, guaranteed by Bengale. I was happy when Ava named Bengale as its rival. They pretty much hate each other (opinion in the -50 or -70 range) but guarantee is still here. Can I hope that it drops or does it never happen?

I would really prefer fighting Ava alone as you can imagine

Hello
I want to attack Ava, guaranteed by Bengale. I was happy when Ava named Bengale as its rival. They pretty much hate each other (opinion in the -50 or -70 range) but guarantee is still here. Can I hope that it drops or does it never happen?

I would really prefer fighting Ava alone as you can imagine
In general, as long as Bengal likes Ava, they probably won't revoke the guarantee.

If Bengal rivals Ava back, either the guarantee will break or Bengal will be unlikely to join Ava in its defensive wars. It's also possible that Ava will do sufficient things that piss off Bengal such that Bengal will no longer defend them.

Otherwise, you'll have to do the usual thing of either attacking one of Ava's allies or declaring war at a time when Bengal will not honour the guarantee (eg. when they are badly losing another war).

Reactions:
In general, as long as Bengal likes Ava, they probably won't revoke the guarantee.

If Bengal rivals Ava back, either the guarantee will break or Bengal will be unlikely to join Ava in its defensive wars. It's also possible that Ava will do sufficient things that piss off Bengal such that Bengal will no longer defend them.

Otherwise, you'll have to do the usual thing of either attacking one of Ava's allies or declaring war at a time when Bengal will not honour the guarantee (eg. when they are badly losing another war).
Thanks
I think only Ava rivaled Bengal but opinion is negative both ways. Ava does not have allies right now and Bengal sits strong out of war. I could handle it (I failed once because my ally Bahmanis did.... nothing when invaded by Bengal) but I'd really prefer to fight Ava alone. C'mon, the guarantee should break :D