EUIV - Quick Questions / Quick Answers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am playing as Portugal.
I have colonial nation in La Plata area.
Next to my colonial nation there is another one country - some Native Americans nation.
Why can't I fabricate claims against them?
Should I have option to do so according to Colonialism CB?

Can someone explain the logic behind this? It seems I cannot march in Dijonnais because the fort behind it (Auxerrois) blocks me.
Somehow the game tells me that I need to go all around Germany to siege Auxerrois first.

1606064734454.png

Can someone explain the logic behind this? It seems I cannot march in Dijonnais because the fort behind it (Auxerrois) blocks me.
Somehow the game tells me that I need to go all around Germany to siege Auxerrois first.
The game doesn't say that the fort in Auxerrois is blocking you. The two sentences are independent of each other. Something else is blocking you, but it would be very difficult for the game to say what exactly, because it is usually a combination of return provinces and multiple nearby forts. In your case it seems to be the fort directly north of the province in which your army is. I think the province id is 189, but I don't know which name it has in your game. But that fort would not block your movement if you return province would be in the province in which your army currently is.

Reactions:
I am playing as Portugal.
I have colonial nation in La Plata area.
Next to my colonial nation there is another one country - some Native Americans nation.
Why can't I fabricate claims against them?
Should I have option to do so according to Colonialism CB?
If you complete the exploration idea group, you can fabricate claims on all provinces in colonial regions. If you have the fifth espionage idea, you could fabricate a claim on behalf of your CN. But without any of these ideas, you can't fabricate claims on provinces which are not next to your own provinces(bordering the same sea tile is enough). But you could maybe start a colony next to them so that you can fabricate a claim.
The colonialism CB works differently and it doesn't need any claims. But I don't think that you can use it in that situation, because the province that you want to conquer is neither owned by a CN nor overseas for its owner.

• 1Like
Reactions:
QQ: Playing as free city, and intend to finish the game as OPM, it's been fantastically boring so far lol. Thinking of taking exploration for my 3rd idea. Will having a trade company/colony break my free city status?

I had a pop up for a potential PU 'Austria has just formed a PU over Portugal, you also have a claim, do you want to contest it ?'

Would I be treated as the aggressor in that situation ? (assuming so)
What side would Portugal be on ?
Would Austria's allies treat this as a defensive war & auto-join (if so inclined) ?

I've neveer had this before, so don't want to ruin my game by finding myself fighting half of Europe alone :)

I had a pop up for a potential PU 'Austria has just formed a PU over Portugal, you also have a claim, do you want to contest it ?'

Would Austria's allies treat this as a defensive war & auto-join (if so inclined) ?

I've neveer had this before, so don't want to ruin my game by finding myself fighting half of Europe alone :)

you will be attacker, and austria allies will join. in the end you could steal away the PU of Portugal and make it your own. Note that you are also allowed to call allies in,; and that defender of faith will protect austria too if you aren't his religion. if autria is catholic league leader, you will actually fight the entire league. If you quit your game before accepting, i think you lost yer chance

Yes, you´d be the aggressor
Portugal would stay in their PU until you win, so they fight on Austrias side as well
And since you´re the aggressor against Austria (because you cant declare war on subjects) Austria would call in all their allies and most of them would join.
The Wargoal is the capital of the PU-minor, so for Portugal it would be Porto if they didnt change it.
So depending on your position, (if you´re on Iberia or in France) you could try to rush Portugal, siege down the capital and defend against Austria in the mountains.
But since you dont want to ruin the game by fighting half of Europe I think it would be the wiser choice to just let them have the PU. If Portugal is strong and Austria is weak they should break free on their own, if Portugal is weak and Austria is strong you probably wouldnt win the war anyway.

If you´re not playing in Ironman, you could always just make another Savegame and try what happens :)

O Oracles of the Quick Answers thread -

Italy, 1701 - I'm working through the mission tree (currently chewing up France)
I long ago conquered Rome / the Papal State (though I remained Catholic)
The Pope was granted land in Loon by the Austrians
This was conquered by the French
Therefore no Papal State exists

There is no option as Italy to release the Papal State
I 99% war score-d France, and there was no option to force them to release either
I am trying to become Curia Controller for one of the Italian missions
I get to around 30-40% influence (converting a lot in Africa so plenty of Pope Points)
The Papal Election always goes to France / Austria

Question - is Italy unable to become Curia Controller if there's no Papal State / some kind of glitch ? / is there another factor I'm missing ?
Question - Why can't anyone release the Papal State ? I can release random countries like Albania or Perguia that haven't been seen since the dark ages, but not the Pope for some reason.

Italy, 1701 - I'm working through the mission tree (currently chewing up France)

I 99% war score-d France, and there was no option to force them to release either
I get to around 30-40% influence (converting a lot in Africa so plenty of Pope Points)

Question - is Italy unable to become Curia Controller if there's no Papal State / some kind of glitch ? / is there another factor I'm missing ?
Question - Why can't anyone release the Papal State ? I can release random countries like Albania or Perguia that haven't been seen since the dark ages, but not the Pope for some reason.
Check here: Core - Europa Universalis 4 Wiki (paradoxwikis.com) (section Losing Cores.) If a country is destroyed, all of its cores not in provinces in its primary culture group are lost. Loon doesn't have a Latin culture, so pope's core there is destroyed. The papal state is not the primary country for any culture, so its cores are lost after some time, in contrast with, for example, Albania, that is the primary nation of Albanian, and will never lose its cores in Albanian provinces. Maybe you still have cores of the pope and you could release him.

You're probably just being unlucky with the roll for the elections, the Papal State existing or not is irrelevant. In a pinch, being the last Catholic left in Europe is a great way to win the elections.

Check here: Core - Europa Universalis 4 Wiki (paradoxwikis.com) (section Losing Cores.) If a country is destroyed, all of its cores not in provinces in its primary culture group are lost. Loon doesn't have a Latin culture, so pope's core there is destroyed. The papal state is not the primary country for any culture, so its cores are lost after some time, in contrast with, for example, Albania, that is the primary nation of Albanian, and will never lose its cores in Albanian provinces. Maybe you still have cores of the pope and you could release him.
You're probably just being unlucky with the roll for the elections, the Papal State existing or not is irrelevant. In a pinch, being the last Catholic left in Europe is a great way to win the elections.

Thanks guys - yeah it's going to be that the Papal State isn't the primary, so isn't available to re-appear, which makes sense. I had assumed that the Papal State would be a special case I suppose. I'll draft a suggestion thread on that topic, as it seems a bit off that it can be deleted completely during the game's timeframe.

Fair point on the elections - death by RNG. Unfortunately, I'm one of many Catholic nations - Austria & myself fought a very militant Counter-Reformation :D

Fwiw, literally any Catholic other than Italy or The Roman Empire gets an event to release The Papal States as soon as they capture Rome. If you give Rome to a Catholic vassal they probably will release it - I think the AI odds are 98% or something like that?

Playing as Ajam. Wiki suggests that I convert to Shia by decision. I have no idea how to do this. The religion tab says I cannot convert because I am Sunni. Is the wiki outdated or am I looking in the wrong place. Thanks.

Follow up. I think the wiki is wrong. One response suggested that I needed a majority of provinces to be Shia and also my capital. I had that from the start, so not the problem. I did repeatedly check the decisions screen (part of the policies tab - right?). No such decision ever appeared. Then, shortly after I changed to Persia, an event fired that allowed me to convert. No sure if that was a coincidence or if becoming Persia was a prerequisite. Any experiences with would be appreciated.

I really appreciate this thread and especially the experienced players who devote time to helping answer questions. Thanks folks!

Last edited:
Playing as Ajam. Wiki suggests that I convert to Shia by decision. I have no idea how to do this. The religion tab says I cannot convert because I am Sunni. Is the wiki outdated or am I looking in the wrong place. Thanks.

Do you have Shia provinces in your Kingdom? My understanding is that you generally need a province of the right religion to change state religion.
The wiki page on religion suggests that - provided you have the sword and crescent DLC - Muslim Kingdoms can switch to either Shia or Sunni, so long as the majority of their provinces and their capital have the target religion. This would mean you'd need to conquer a lot of Shia provinces and then move you capital to one of them.
It's been a long time since I played as a Persian principality, so that's the best I can do.
https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Religion#Centers_of_reformation

Note that it's a decision in the decisions tab if you have any Shia province, not something found in the Religion tab. Yes, I know this is a bit silly, the UI isn't always very intuitive.

Hi,

I'm currently doing a France WC attempt. It's going well. I revoked all estate privileges to get max absolutism (currently 104), however I need to own 80% of crownland to finish a mission. It is currently 70%. I am struggling to get my estates loyal enough now I cannot grant privileges so that I can seize land. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get my estates loyal enough that I can seize land? I do keep calling the Diet but by the time I've completed what they ask their loyalty has dropped to around 40-43%.

All help appreciated.