EUIV - Quick Questions / Quick Answers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is there any way to work out if your allies will reject a call-to-arms defensive war ? (in the ledger etc)

I ask as my last few games have been ended by the AI obviously knowing that my allies won't join me (it's a computer program after all) with several different nations, and different allies - the only common denominator is that my major ally always refused to join my war. The foes I'm facing wouldn't have attacked me if they didn't already know that my one big ally would betray me. (ie: Byzantium + Russia: Hungary attacks me, and Russia betrays the alliance - they couldn't have won vs. Russia as my ally, so the AI obviously has a way to work this out)

For context, I always have royal marriages, 150+ relations, a diplo reputation of at least 1+ early game. This happens if my ally is at peace or in another war, doesn't seem to make much difference.

I'm hoping there's a logic to it !

I am not aware of a quick way to see exactly, if an ally would defend me against different attackers.
What I can do is the following:
In this example I am Mughals and Qara Qoyunlu is my ally. So I look for another ally of Qara, e.g. Mushasha. Then I pretend to declare war on Mushasha and look in the UI what would happen. I see: Qara would not defend him against me and I let the tooltip show me the details.

eu4_366a.png

So I see all the reasons, positive and negative, in this situation. More info about reasons: Wiki: Call to arms
Alot of stuff and numbers.

The most common reasons for "betrayal" are money and negative effects from other wars, like occupied provinces, war exhaustion or low manpower.
In specific: To check the debts of a nation (without a diplomat available) I can either pretend to use "take on foreign debt" as diplomacy interaction, if I am a Great Power. Or look at the ledger, page 4 "score comparision", Adm. Rating, where each loan gives a score of -0.02.

Maybe it needs some expierence to see through all this numbers.
But nations with high and long lasting debts and/or those losing wars are highly unreliable defenders. Better to cancel those alliances and look for better friends, if available.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Quick question: under no circumstance getting fleet basing rights extends your colonial range? I may be wrong but I remember in the past getting port rights from Portugal and my colonizing range started counting from the azores. Is it not like that anymore?

Quick question: under no circumstance getting fleet basing rights extends your colonial range? I may be wrong but I remember in the past getting port rights from Portugal and my colonizing range started counting from the azores. Is it not like that anymore?
That changed years ago. Now it only counts from cored land you or your Colonial Nations own, AFAIK.

Hello! I know, as of 1.30.4, you can't merge mercenary companies with your own troops, but is there a non-micromanagey way to "pair" a mercenary company with your own troops so they move as one, arrive at the same time, etc.? As you might have guessed, wondering how to add my own cannons to an infantry-heavy mercenary company with a minimum of fuss... Thanks!

Hello! I know, as of 1.30.4, you can't merge mercenary companies with your own troops, but is there a non-micromanagey way to "pair" a mercenary company with your own troops so they move as one, arrive at the same time, etc.? As you might have guessed, wondering how to add my own cannons to an infantry-heavy mercenary company with a minimum of fuss... Thanks!
You can attach your cannons to the mercenary stack or the mercenary stack to your cannons. But this doesn't always make them arrive at the same time and sometimes the arrival time changes one day(or maybe more) after you started the movement.

Hello!

I was starting as Baiern München, Landshut got a PU over Ingolstadt after two month in the game.
I thought "nice, two birds with one stone".
I won the war, Landshut is my PU, Ingolstadt is mx PU and it happend...
...nothing.

Is this a bug?

Never mind...

To my shame, there is a decision. But why didnt I get a notification?

Last edited:
Can naval battery damage pirate ships? It is annoyed that Spain and British do pirates too! So far I only found a way to prevent pirates is try not let them have a close base. So they often pirate in and get out to repair, but sometimes they got in the way of the treasure ships.

The pie chart and all other tooltips say I have 34% trade power share. Where does 41.6% come from?
The 41.6% is your share of the trade power of the countries which collect in that node. There is 9.07 which gets collected, so you get 0.416*9.07=3.77 from that.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If I attack an Imperial Prince while the religious leagues are active, will the Emperor bring in the Catholic League?
That depends...
1. Are you outside of the Empire?
2. Is the Imperial Prince allied with the Emperor/ a free city so the Emperor gets called in as an ally first and as Emperor second?
3. Is a League war in effect?
4. Would the Emperor even join?
If you can answer the first two with No you should be fine to start a war as long as you´re not the leader for the Protestant League.
If 3 applies or 4 doesnt, you´re fine as well.
Otherwise I wouldnt risk it. Or just try and savescum if he joins ;)

Can I use a restoration of union casus belli on Poland, if Poland is the junior partner in a personal union with Lithuania?
No, the CB only works against independent countries

Reactions:
Does attrition scale with the number of troops in multi-nation armies ?

Asking as I recently tried to fight a coalition as Italy using the famous 'Alpine Fortresses' trick - unfortunately, the 15 different armies sat in the Alps took zero losses - came down with full morale and manpower; the nations didn't seem to lose much manpower themselves.

Therefore - is attrition applied to the 5k Rothenburg, 5k Hamburg, 10k Bohemia etc etc individually, as if there were only 5 instances of 5k troops there, rather than 1 instance of 25k ?

It made for a spectacularly short war, anyway - the AI siege bonuses meant that I had time to smash three big Austrian stacks before the fortress fell and Northern Italy become German via simple numbers :D

Does attrition scale with the number of troops in multi-nation armies ?

Asking as I recently tried to fight a coalition as Italy using the famous 'Alpine Fortresses' trick - unfortunately, the 15 different armies sat in the Alps took zero losses - came down with full morale and manpower; the nations didn't seem to lose much manpower themselves.

Therefore - is attrition applied to the 5k Rothenburg, 5k Hamburg, 10k Bohemia etc etc individually, as if there were only 5 instances of 5k troops there, rather than 1 instance of 25k ?

It made for a spectacularly short war, anyway - the AI siege bonuses meant that I had time to smash three big Austrian stacks before the fortress fell and Northern Italy become German via simple numbers :D
Attrition is applied according to the full stack size, but if they're on the border of friendly (including occupied) territory then they'll be reinforcing it at least as fast as the attrition is hitting, so you'll be hitting their manpower pool but not actually depleting their army size until they run out of manpower entirely.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Attrition is applied according to the full stack size, but if they're on the border of friendly (including occupied) territory then they'll be reinforcing it at least as fast as the attrition is hitting, so you'll be hitting their manpower pool but not actually depleting their army size until they run out of manpower entirely.

Thanks, good to know !

Is it possible to somehow get rid of a centre of revolution that ended up within my borders and has been polluting my country for decades?

In my experience, you have to go through the revolution disaster to purge revolutionary provinces within your borders. This might apply to a centre of revolution as well.
Best I can do.
Well, that’s certainly “encouraging” because it’s not even coming up on the disasters tab. I guess I’ll just have to wait for 50 years until the pox creeps all the way to my capital so that I can actually start the disaster. Who designed this again?