EUIV - Quick Questions / Quick Answers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This agenda has a bug. It can appear in situations in which there is no valid province for it. To appear there needs to be a heathen province that can build a temple or cathedral(or whichever name is used in your situation), but the selected province has the additional requirement that it must be a full core. If you have no such province at the moment that the diet event opens, you won't be able to complete the agenda.
Thanks. I was afraid that was the case. My Dhimini are going to be real pissed off! Oh well.

You can still find a 1/1/1 heathen province and full core it just for achieving the goal, if it is worth it.
You would have to do that before the event where you can choose the agenda is even opened, because that's when the province gets selected. And if no province is selected there is no way to fulfill the agenda

How would you, in theory, go Coptic Mamluks?

I'm sure you'd focus on screwing the Ottomans first and maybe conquering Anatolia to cement your position, but otherwise? Conquer Makuria and let rebels spawn, or do I need 50% Coptic development?
Coptic needs to be the religion with the most development in your country. Otherwise the demands of the rebels will not include that your state religion changes. It doesn't have to be 50% of your development, if you have more than 2 religions. Coptic just has to be the biggest.
So I think it would be easiest to conquer coptic provinces at the start of the game and then send missionaries there(on 0 maintenance) so that the rebels switch to coptic zealots.

Reactions:
Question about Mewar never changes achievement: Will forming Rajputan prevent me from getting it?
Forming Rajputana will not prevent you from getting the achievement, because Rajputana has the same missions as Mewar and the achievement has no further conditions. On the other hand, forming a country which gives you new missions would prevent you from being able to get the Mewar Never Changes achievement.

Also is forming Rajputana worth it?

Yes, I think so.
Rajputana is an empire, so you instantly get the bonuses like Cultural Union, more gc or more ticking down monthly autonomy. This is more helpful, it the country is still small, say 300-500 development. If your Mewar is at 1000 dev and can be upgraded to Empire by hand, it doesn't matter anymore.
Extra 3 dev for the new capital and perma claims on Western India probably don't help much, but why not.
Concerning NIs: There is some overlap in Mewar and Rajputana anyway. Rajputana has -10% Core Creation Cost, which I would consider very high. And I don't see much in Mewar's NIs worth keeping it. But if you like Mewar's stuff more, you can form Rajputana and then refuse the "New Traditions and Ambitions".

Should I be dev-pushing Institutions as Muscovy? Wracking up quite the admin bill with all this coring of free real estate, need to bank a lot of diplo for annexing the vassals as well. These 2 specifics aside I'm unsure. I've never played as Muscovy and it feels they're just close enough to rub off the spread from the West, but also just a tiny bit too far off as well. I'm already like 15% behind and I'd rather keep the admin for Religious ideas and cores.

Should I be dev-pushing Institutions as Muscovy? Wracking up quite the admin bill with all this coring of free real estate, need to bank a lot of diplo for annexing the vassals as well. These 2 specifics aside I'm unsure. I've never played as Muscovy and it feels they're just close enough to rub off the spread from the West, but also just a tiny bit too far off as well. I'm already like 15% behind and I'd rather keep the admin for Religious ideas and cores.

Yes.
What I would recommend for almost all European nations is to semi-push the Renaissance. That is in the moment the Renaissance spawns, develop the best province (usually the capital) up to 30. It fulfills the age objective, so it gives early splendors, helpful. Plus the automatic progress for the Renaissance in European provinces with 30 dev is something. Should be around 0.4 per month. So in 250 months or about 20 years Renaissance is embraced in that province. Moskva is not bad for developing: Capital city bonus, level-2 CoT and no malus by terrain.
If you are looking for the neighbor spread of the Renaissance, you should look south. Genoa can embrace it fairly early and then it spreads over to his holdings in the Crimea trade node. But even then it is a long way to Moskva.

The critical moment for the Renaissance comes usually in 1466 in my games. Take Mil Tech 6 with a penalty or embrace the institution before.? Sometimes I develop my capital a bit more to say 35-40 and embrace the institution, sometimes I take the Tech and let Renaissance spread out in my country for the next years. So I can embrace it before Mil Tech 7 (1479) with paying a lot less ducats.

Colonialism, yes. Printing Press, probably yes. Depends a bit where it spawns and how close Muscovy/Russia has expanded west.

Yes.

Your capital should already be 30. So just pop the edict.

Hopefully you took economic and the steppe dev reduction estate bonus. Pop the dev edict in some steppes, switch icons, and crank out some dev. Russia is great for dev pushing.

Switch icon after pushing to boost spread.

If you control coastal china, you should have high dev there already. Samarkand should be over 30 too.

Hey there,

I played with Austria and released Verona with Imperial Ban CB from Venice. Verona joined HRE and annexed Trent.
Problem now: I didnt get the option to demand unlawful territory and I could not release Trent in any way but annexing it from Verona, coring and releasing it back as a vassal. And they lost their core within 50 years instead 150 years. Seen this plenty of times though losing core within 50 years then 150.
Is this right and is there a rule for how long a province sustains its cores after being annexed?

I played with Austria and released Verona with Imperial Ban CB from Venice. Verona joined HRE and annexed Trent.
Problem now: I didnt get the option to demand unlawful territory
Did Verona already have a core on that province? Then you can't demand unlawful territory, because it is lawful to get back your cores.

and I could not release Trent in any way but annexing it from Verona, coring and releasing it back as a vassal.
You can only release a country in a war if your enemy owns a province that has a core of the country that you want to release and which has a culture in the same culture group as the country that you want to release. At the start of the game, Trent has Austrian as their primary culture which is in the Germanic culture group and their only province Trient has Venetian culture which is in the Latin culture group. But this should also have made it impossible to release them as a vassal.
And they lost their core within 50 years instead 150 years. Seen this plenty of times though losing core within 50 years then 150.
Is this right and is there a rule for how long a province sustains its cores after being annexed?
Cores of countries which have a primary culture in the same culture group as the province culture expire after 150 years. If the country has a different culture group as the province they expire after 50 years. If the country is the primary tag of the culture of the province, the core never expires.

Reactions:
Did Verona already have a core on that province? Then you can't demand unlawful territory, because it is lawful to get back your cores.

No, they only had a claim and used the Conquest Casus Belli. Perhaps i was too slow and they cored it already.

You can only release a country in a war if your enemy owns a province that has a core of the country that you want to release and which has a culture in the same culture group as the country that you want to release. At the start of the game, Trent has Austrian as their primary culture which is in the Germanic culture group and their only province Trient has Venetian culture which is in the Latin culture group. But this should also have made it impossible to release them as a vassal.

Yes, i was wrong on that part. It was not possible to release them.
Cores of countries which have a primary culture in the same culture group as the province culture expire after 150 years. If the country has a different culture group as the province they expire after 50 years. If the country is the primary tag of the culture of the province, the core never expires.

Thank you very much. That clearified a lot. Explains also why Styria has claims til 1594 and 1494 in Austria.

I've always wondered this but, say my soldiers fight an enemy on neutral say (say I'm France and I fight Portuguese soldiers in Castile) who is the attacker and who is the defender? I'm wondering who those -1 or -2 rolls on certain terrains negatively impact.

I've always wondered this but, say my soldiers fight an enemy on neutral say (say I'm France and I fight Portuguese soldiers in Castile) who is the attacker and who is the defender? I'm wondering who those -1 or -2 rolls on certain terrains negatively impact.

The army who moves into the province is the attacker. And this is always the case, not just in neutral territory.

Reactions:
So whoever is there first is the attacker? But in home territory if an enemy is standing on a fort I own, and I attack them, aren't I the defender since it's my land?
No, the attacker is the one who moved into a province with a unit already there, so if you move into a province and the enemy is already there you are the attacker, and if you manage to arrive first to a province before the enemy then you are the defender. The ONLY exception to this is when you fight an enemy in a fort you or your ally control, in which case you are always the defender (keyword being FORTS, any other province behaves the same way). Of course, this applies to enemies as well, if you get into a fight on a fort your enemy controls then you will always be the attacker.

So whoever is there first is the attacker? But in home territory if an enemy is standing on a fort I own, and I attack them, aren't I the defender since it's my land?
Lets say that army 1 is standing in province A. Army 2 moves into province A and a battle starts. Army 2 is ALWAYS the attacker in this situation since they attacked army 1; army 1 was just standing there and was able to get into a favorable position on hilltops/behind rivers/etc.
Now lets say that province A has a fort controlled by the same side as army 2 in the war. Since Army 1 is besieging the fort they will ALWAYS be the attacker here; think of it as the fort was built in such a way that any besieging army has to put itself in an uncomfortable position to siege it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I seem to recall the devs adding a subject interaction that allowed you to ask a subject to stop colonizing but I can’t seem to find it. I have every expansion except Golden Century and Third Rome. I checked the patch notes for Golden Century thinking it was there but can’t find it.