EUIV - Quick Questions / Quick Answers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Regarding the pop up that gives you a female heir (not sure on the term for it) - you get a 'surprise a daughter !' and can either recognize her as your heir or not:

Is that designed to give you an unusually powerful heir ?

I ask, as in a Byzantine game with the usual 2/2/2 idiots, I got offered a 6/6/6 female heir ! She didn't even have a hunting accident !

Thinking about it, I've seen 10+ pt heirs with other nations, very different to the male heirs I'd otherwise get, hence the question.
As far as I know there are three events that give you a daugther as hair, I think one is just a event that gives a female heir with average strength because you dont have a male heir in forever, one is if your king dies and your ruling dynasty would change gives you an opportunity to get the daugther of your previous king as ruler with average stats and the last one is called something with ambitious daugther which gives you a pretty good female ruler.
Those are the only events I know of that give you a choice to get a daughter as heir or no heir at all, however there are a few other events that may result in a above average female heir (its called starlight and is basically the female version of lux stella which lets you "name" your heir after someone and choose from 3+ choices of above average rulers)

TLDR:
It´s probably one of the events designed to give a powerful heir.

• 1Like
Reactions:
TLDR:
It´s probably one of the events designed to give a powerful heir.

thanks, appreciate that

Other question I had - does the AI cheat on movement in general ? Or is it faction specific ? Or 'in combat' specific, like a lucky roll ? Or does the arrival date change over the month tick ?

Asking, as trying to swat a few 5k Ottoman stacks just now, and I engaged one with 20k troops (fair odds with crap eastern units), and saw their doomstack coming - 'doomstack will arrive on December 23rd' - "great thinks I, I'll kill the little stack & move before the rest arrive" - not to be, for as the battle nears the end, as the month ticks over, the doomstack engages me on December 1st instead.

Other question I had - does the AI cheat on movement in general ? Or is it faction specific ? Or 'in combat' specific, like a lucky roll ? Or does the arrival date change over the month tick ?

Asking, as trying to swat a few 5k Ottoman stacks just now, and I engaged one with 20k troops (fair odds with crap eastern units), and saw their doomstack coming - 'doomstack will arrive on December 23rd' - "great thinks I, I'll kill the little stack & move before the rest arrive" - not to be, for as the battle nears the end, as the month ticks over, the doomstack engages me on December 1st instead.
I don't think that there is any cheating going on in terms of movement speed. I can think of a few things that would make the doomstack arrive faster:
  • they assigned a faster general
  • some modifier that decreased movement speed expired. This can be for example be from monsoon or scorched earth
  • the movement that you saw was towards a different province which was further away and they changed their direction when you moved towards their other stack
  • they used force march

The arrival date may change from a number of reasons, but to arrive 22 days earlier than planned, either it was a very long move (like in huge steppe provinces) or something unusual happened.
I'm not sure if a travel between two provinces can take as long as 22 days. Let alone last 22 less. He must have seen something wrong.

I'm not sure if a travel between two provinces can take as long as 22 days. Let alone last 22 less. He must have seen something wrong.

It's a hard thing to screenshot I suppose - I was more curious if there was a mechanic at play that I wasn't aware of; it may well have been (per the reply above ) that they swapped their general / a modifier wore off - frustrating, as it's invisible to me, but not cheating at least :)

If I give a province to an ally that's not part of the war goal, i.e., to them for aiding me, does that have any impact on relations, favors, etc.?

If I give a province to an ally that's not part of the war goal, i.e., to them for aiding me, does that have any impact on relations, favors, etc.?
Not sure about relations, but for the favors you can see on the sideline when negotiating peace if there is a green thumb up next to there shield. You can hover over it to see how many favors will you get.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't remember, can you convert culture from primary to an accepted one? wanted to try something nation-building , changing culture then converting some provinces to old one for achivement purposes.

I don't remember, can you convert culture from primary to an accepted one? wanted to try something nation-building , changing culture then converting some provinces to old one for achivement purposes.

yes you can change your primary culture by unstating provinces of this culture and keep or promote states so another of your accepted culture becomes your main culture (more than 50% of states' DEV). This can enable you to create countries, but be aware that some tags are "end tag" (at least were in 1.29, did not check if that was cancelled or not) and once you create these tags, you can't switch no more. The list is there https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Formable_countries#End-game_tags, but the page is for the 1.28 version.

I'm playing as Hamburg and got a Notification that I broke my Alliance with Lübeck, but I did not click the "Dissolve Alliance Button". I have a bad Opinion(-92) about Lübeck. Could that trigger an automatic Ending of the Alliance?

I'm playing as Hamburg and got a Notification that I broke my Alliance with Lübeck, but I did not click the "Dissolve Alliance Button". I have a bad Opinion(-92) about Lübeck. Could that trigger an automatic Ending of the Alliance?
Yes, a low opinion can automatically break an alliance. Unfortunately I don't know how bad the opinion must be.

yes you can change your primary culture by unstating provinces of this culture and keep or promote states so another of your accepted culture becomes your main culture (more than 50% of states' DEV). This can enable you to create countries, but be aware that some tags are "end tag" (at least were in 1.29, did not check if that was cancelled or not) and once you create these tags, you can't switch no more. The list is there https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Formable_countries#End-game_tags, but the page is for the 1.28 version.
i wanted to try something like denmark-> england, but i need to convert some provinces to danish for an achivement, that doesn't answer my question, if i switch culture to english will i be able to swap those provinces to danish?

Somewhere there is a formula for where your capital moves when you lose your current capital province (useful when trying to move your capital to another continent). I can't seem to find it...anyone have a link?

i wanted to try something like denmark-> england, but i need to convert some provinces to danish for an achivement, that doesn't answer my question, if i switch culture to english will i be able to swap those provinces to danish?

If Danish is an accepted culture in your England country, you should be able to switch to Danish culture but the issue here is that you want to switch from English to Danish, and it seems to me it is not possible, you should probably convert first and then change tag after.

Somewhere there is a formula for where your capital moves when you lose your current capital province (useful when trying to move your capital to another continent). I can't seem to find it...anyone have a link?
this comment contains the formula. But it is for 1.29 and I don't know if anything changed in the formula.
Since 1.30 the 50% rule for moving the capital has been removed, so you don't need to lose your capital to move it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If Danish is an accepted culture in your England country, you should be able to switch to Danish culture but the issue here is that you want to switch from English to Danish, and it seems to me it is not possible, you should probably convert first and then change tag after.
i intended to start as Denmark, then becoming England, but before that happens i have to complete two achivements. i thought of switching culture to english, then converting the english required provinces to danish, as there wouldn't be enough dev afterwards to allow me change...
but i don't know if i can do so as it'll be changing my new culture to an accepted one

First, when you want to change tag, you can un-state the area from the wrong culture, so your target culture will raise over 50%. Then to form England, you should own a variety of provinces outside the zone for "The Iron Price" achievement, AND England should not exist anymore, so you will probably have to conquer most if not all of it (depending of how Scotland survived before your invasion). That should give you far enough provinces with English culture.

As for the two achievements specific to Denmark, "The Iron Price" and "Østindisk Kompagni Te", I personnaly did the first before the second, as going colonial from Denmark took a long time, and the second requires you to still be Denmark to achieve it (while the first requires only you to start as Denmark).

i intended to start as Denmark, then becoming England, but before that happens i have to complete two achivements. i thought of switching culture to english, then converting the english required provinces to danish, as there wouldn't be enough dev afterwards to allow me change...
but i don't know if i can do so as it'll be changing my new culture to an accepted one
You can always convert provinces to the culture of an adjacent province, or to your primary culture. Thus, if you culture convert at least one province in Britain to Danish, you can switch your primary culture to English and still keep converting provinces to Danish. Do be sure to check whether the achievements you're after require your tag to stay Denmark, though.

Regarding the pop up that gives you a female heir (not sure on the term for it) - you get a 'surprise a daughter !' and can either recognize her as your heir or not:

Is that designed to give you an unusually powerful heir ?

I ask, as in a Byzantine game with the usual 2/2/2 idiots, I got offered a 6/6/6 female heir ! She didn't even have a hunting accident !

Thinking about it, I've seen 10+ pt heirs with other nations, very different to the male heirs I'd otherwise get, hence the question.

its called dynastic events. You get events that give choice between heirs or another option. Some can give strong claim heir (male or female), some give weak claim heirs. Some events like child in the reeds or talented and ambitious daughter are scripted to give high stat heirs.

list of all events in this category: https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Dynastic_events

yes. If opinion of your ally or their opinion of you goes below -25, alliance auto breaks. This can hapen with council of trent, player annexing wanted land from an ally, or a bordering ally getting a militarist that suddenly desires your land for -200 opinion. It can also happen the other way around... If you got ally in hre that refuses unlawful territory couple times, your opinion of them will go negative and balow -25 (the bottom opinion window, nt the top one) and then alliance auto breaks also.