EUIV - Quick Questions / Quick Answers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi everyone!
Is there any mod out there that fixes the religion/ culture of colonies?
That religious mapmode is only funny the first time you see it.:mad:

20200520173452_1.jpg

Hi everyone!

View attachment 598668
What do you mean with "fixes religion/ culture"? It looks like Portugal expelled minorities from Maghreb, and there where more sunni provinces than catholic provinces when the colony formed, which is the reason why the colony became sunni.

When is the decision "adopt mamluk government" stop being available? Does it expire in time?

I started as a north African nation and the decision was available (as far as Mamluks do not exist and I own Cairo)... but when in the 17 century I was able to conquer Cairo and supress Mamluks, I realized I could only form Egypt -- no Mamluk government option.

When is the decision "adopt mamluk government" stop being available? Does it expire in time?

I started as a north African nation and the decision was available (as far as Mamluks do not exist and I own Cairo)... but when in the 17 century I was able to conquer Cairo and supress Mamluks, I realized I could only form Egypt -- no Mamluk government option.
Wiki says you need iqta government

Reactions:
What do you mean with "fixes religion/ culture"? It looks like Portugal expelled minorities from Maghreb, and there where more sunni provinces than catholic provinces when the colony formed, which is the reason why the colony became sunni.
Ok, well let me explain:

I have never liked the "expell minorities" feature, for reasons as shown in my picture. It leads to religious bordergore in the Americas and its historic accuracy is questionable at best.
Also, expelling an entire population of a region like Maghreb on renaissance ships to the new world would be a logistical and humanitarian nightmare, if not completely impossible.
It totally ruins immersion for me.

Would be nice if there was some sort of mod that makes colonies convert, or even better removes said deportation feature entirely.
Reverting back to a previous version would be a shame, since i like the new additions of the latest update ALOT.

Thx for your reply tho

• 1Like
Reactions:
Would be nice if there was some sort of mod that makes colonies convert, or even better removes said deportation feature entirely.
Reverting back to a previous version would be a shame, since i like the new additions of the latest update ALOT.
You wouldn't need to revert, just disable the Golden Century DLC. Personally I don't see a lot of great stuff in that except for maybe the missions if you are playing in Iberia / NW Africa. (I'm playing Spain in 1.29 with the DLC right now.)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hi everyone!

View attachment 598668
As its far worse to do it, the AI will not do it as much.
Unless they decided otherwise in the meantime, expel minorities should be used much less by the AI.

Is this a bug? Cb with colonialism against Ottomans, I am the Pope: https://prnt.sc/tg197y

I can basically take all their Asia provinces with 25% AE, even if they are states of Ottomans.
It depends on your definition of "bug". Since the Ottoman capital is probably in the Eastern Europe superregion (both Edirne and Constantinople are) and yours likely in the Western Europe one, the Levant region counts as overseas (trade company possible) for both of you which unlocks that cb.

I'm not sure if that's an unintended consequence of the TC change, or something they just didn't find worthwhile to make an exception for, but I wouldn't call it a bug.

Their capital is in Crimea, that's Europe. All those provinces I can take with colonialism AE are in Asia, but all are stated, not territories or trade companies. An example: https://prnt.sc/tg1hvk

I am too lazy to log in a bug report. Feel free to do it if you want. :D

EDIT: Me as a nice guy that I am I used the Imperialism CB. Also my capital is Rome, as the The Papal State.

Their capital is in Crimea, that's Europe. All those provinces I can take with colonialism AE are in Asia, but all are stated, not territories or trade companies. An example: https://prnt.sc/tg1hvk

I am too lazy to log in a bug report. Feel free to do it if you want. :D

EDIT: Me as a nice guy that I am I used the Imperialism CB. Also my capital is Rome, as the The Papal State.
It doesn't matter that they're stated, and never has. It's sufficient that it's possible for both of you to have trade companies in the region. I'm not sure if there also has to be no land connection from the capital for either of you, but if the Ottoman capital has been forced to Crimea I guess that's fulfilled. Trade companies can happen in a lot more places since the Austria patch (maybe the strangest is that Bohemia and Brandenburg can make TCs in Poland and vice versa)

I stand by the reason I gave in the last post. It's admittedly kind of weird, but I wouldn't see it as a bug.

On a second node, it has to be a bug. Colonies are North and South America and Australia. TC land is not colonial land, it's trade companies. So it's definitely a bug, not an intended feature. @Groogy Read the last 6 posts if interested, I am too lazy to put in a bug report. I own some DLCs and the rest are activated through the monthly subscription, Ironman.

EDIT: I might be wrong tho :eek:

EDIT2: It would be a neat exploit to be able to cut in half empires with a snake, then 25%AE take half of the empire.

Last edited:
Is this a bug? Cb with colonialism against Ottomans, I am the Pope: https://prnt.sc/tg197y

I can basically take all their Asia provinces with 25% AE, even if they are states of Ottomans.
For the CB it just matters that one of your overseas provinces borders one of their overseas provinces. Overseas means on a different continent while not having a land connection to the capital. So the superregions don't matter here. And it only applies to border provinces, so it is often not very useful unless you intentionally create a long snake of provinces.
The wiki says about the CB:
Attacker has a colonial claim against defender. This means:
  • Attacker or their subject colonial nation owns land that is overseas for attacker
  • Defender owns land that is overseas for them or they are a colonial subject
  • These respective provinces neighbour each other
And this information has been on the wiki for more than 3 years and it probably has been in the game for longer(One wiki edit from 2013 already mentioned that a colony is an overseas province, but that wording was changed later).
So I don't think that this is a bug. But that it names them "colony" is probably a bad choice of words, because not even provinces in colonial regions are colonies after they finished colonizing.

I have read the wiki about the overseas thing, but it never ever happened to me before 1.30. And I have 3853 hours of EU4, from whom at least 3000 hours were played. So I am not among the best players, but I know the game I suppose :D And since it never happened to me before 1.30, I supposed it's a 1.30 unintended consequence, to quote my colleague above.

nah, this "weird" thing started when they introduced state/territory thing and it's quite old. It only check if the land is in a different continent then the capital and if it's connected with a land route. Mamluks is quite prone for this if he has land in arabia, while you take the suez canal area.

nah, this "weird" thing started when they introduced state/territory thing and it's quite old. It only check if the land is in a different continent then the capital and if it's connected with a land route. Mamluks is quite prone for this if he has land in arabia, while you take the suez canal area.
How did they come up with the state/territory thing anyway? I'm not sure if any country other than USA uses this distinction.

How did they come up with the state/territory thing anyway? I'm not sure if any country other than USA uses this distinction.

I believe it was a reworking of an earlier coring mechanic: If a province was overseas (ie. different continent than your capital, not close to your capital, and not connected by land) then it cost significantly less to core but also provided fewer benefits. IIRC, if you wanted to make trade companies, then they also had to be "overseas". At the time, the way I got my WC as Ottomans was to create a vassal Persia that blocked-off India and everything further east, which made the cost of coring everything vaguely manageable. The state/territory system seems like a development of this earlier feature.

As for the naming, well, it's actually fairly common in former British colonies. Eg: India, Canada and Australia. I'm not too familiar with the political structure of India but, for Canada and Australia at least, "territories" usually have much smaller population and have fewer rights at federal level. It's not a big jump to see how this nomenclature could be reused in EU4.