EUIV - Quick Questions / Quick Answers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Does anyone know how to maintain Personal Unions when achieved?

And is there a start date as to when the War of the Roses starts, in game that I can go to?

Or is there an efficient way to manually trigger it?

What are the things which affect diplo-annex? I'm playing Ottomans and got into a nice alliance with Crimea, helped them grow a lot and they loved me, so I decided I wanted to diplo-annex them. I put quite a bit of effort into getting them above 190 relation, getting a royal marriage etc... and then I get shot down immediately when I see that they get a -1000 chance to accept vassalisation since they have more than 3 provinces. Can you get rid of this block, or is there something you can do to get +1000 chance? Because honestly, this just seems like a downright rule (you can't ever vassilize a country with more than 3 provinces), which I would have liked to know before I invested in getting them to that point...

This is the problem with EU games having such terrible manuals, none of this is covered.

What are the things which affect diplo-annex? I'm playing Ottomans and got into a nice alliance with Crimea, helped them grow a lot and they loved me, so I decided I wanted to diplo-annex them. I put quite a bit of effort into getting them above 190 relation, getting a royal marriage etc... and then I get shot down immediately when I see that they get a -1000 chance to accept vassalisation since they have more than 3 provinces. Can you get rid of this block, or is there something you can do to get +1000 chance? Because honestly, this just seems like a downright rule (you can't ever vassilize a country with more than 3 provinces), which I would have liked to know before I invested in getting them to that point...

This is the problem with EU games having such terrible manuals, none of this is covered.

What you could do is to try to reduce their provinces to 3, let enemy or rebels occupy a province and cede it in a peace deal or negotiate with rebels if possible. Dunno if you can sell the province of a vassal.

I have a mission "fortify delaware", it's a lone colony, only just come fullsize, so actually not a colony I guess, but the mission reward is 0 manpower. Is that meant to be? Or is there some doings afoot?

Is it impossible to vasalise Scotland (I'm playing England, have the mission) if Burgundy took over on their side in the war. I cannot negotiate a separate peace deal with Scotland itself (since they are a wargoal) and with Burgundy I see no "vassalize Scotland" option.

Is it impossible to vasalise Scotland (I'm playing England, have the mission) if Burgundy took over on their side in the war. I cannot negotiate a separate peace deal with Scotland itself (since they are a wargoal) and with Burgundy I see no "vassalize Scotland" option.

Have you occupied Scotland's capital?

Take a province off them.

A reasonably sized country shouldn't just capitulate anyway.
I'm not saying it's illogical, just annoying that this stuff isn't possible to know until you're in the situation where you could have vassalised them if they DIDN'T have more than 3 provinces.

Also, "take a province of them" is harder said then done when you have amazing relations, a royal marriage, a military alliance and you've helped them spank the golden horde into oblivion :p

EDIT: I also don't really see the logic of the 3 province thing from a gaming perspective. If the country is that small, why even bother with diplomatic annexation, just take it by force, it's tiny. Also, why the specific limitation, wouldn't it make more sense if it scaled? If I have 10 counties and they have 4, it makes sense.. but if I have 50 counties, how does it make a difference whether they have 3 or 4?

Last edited:
Question. I got the mission to vassalize Scotland as England. I use the subjugation CB and go to war. Burgundy joins in to and becomes the leader of Scotland alliance. When I try to sue Scotland for peace to vassalize them I can because "you can not negotiate a separate peace with someone who is the target of a wargol". Is this normal?

Playing Denmark iron man and have fabricated a claim on Lubeck, part of HRE. Don't dare to attack as this happened previous game:

Last game I attacked Lubeck and the HRE emperor, Austria, joined the war on Lubeck's side against me.
Fair enough, he's the emperor and all.
After 11 years of war I was winning and had conquered Lubeck.
However, I was unable to annex Lubeck as there was -1000 (!!!) penalty unless I conquered Austria capital as well.
That pretty much makes the HRE invincible.
Working as intended ? Will Austria always intervene or just sometimes ?

Bonus question : Austra and Poland are allied. Is there a way to dissolve their alliance somehow ? Can't take on Poland if the HRE will join in the fun.

Bump.

If it is as in EU3 which I think it is then you just have to keep the relation with the PU target above 0. Improve relation with a diplomat.

I managed to get it to 66+ and it ended.

Sure, there was a Lancaster on the Throne, just not the son of Henry VI.

And also have positive prestige.

Thaaat explains it, as I had negative 90 prestige because of the rebels.

1. Is there any benefit to moving trade forward if you have a colony in the trade zone? My experiments so far seem to indicate that if you have the option to collect trade you should always do so, though I feel as a modeled system it would make more sense if there were income gains from sending goods far overseas, and from sending goods to major population centers rather than minor colonies.

2. If you are trying to move trade from India to Europe, do you have to have merchants in every trade node along the way. Before I switched to collecting trade everywhere instead of pushing it forward, all my pushed forward trade seemed to get lost in Yemen or the Ivory coast somewhere.

what influences diplomatic relations? (in diplomatic power tooltip)
there is a limit of 4 and if you go above you get a hit in DP.
and how do you increase the limit?
cheers

Beat Burgundy in a war and ask them to set Scotland free, then vassalize them.

Scotland is independant - it's just an alliance. Also, yes I have conquered Lothian and still nothing happened, now I have the whole country occupied and it did appear, but it's gray as "the cost of their provinces is too high"? Isn't the whole point of the vassalisation CB to make it possible in the first place?

Screenshot on steam

Is something wrong with the forums? I've made 3 posts, nothing shows up. Seems quotes or the url tag messes up a new post somehow, plain text was posted normally.

Scotland is independant - it's just an alliance. Also, yes I have conquered Lothian and still nothing happened, now I have the whole country occupied and it did appear, but it's gray as "the cost of their provinces is too high"? Isn't the whole point of the vassalisation CB to make it possible in the first place?

Screenshot on steam