EUIV - Quick Questions / Quick Answers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh wow, didnt realise how brutal the gov cap was for prussia. aside from destating some stuff and the priviliges, anything else i can do?
if i blow up the hre, i can get empire rank right?

Oh wow, didnt realise how brutal the gov cap was for prussia. aside from destating some stuff and the priviliges, anything else i can do?
if i blow up the hre, i can get empire rank right?
Going a little bit over your gov cap isn't a disaster, and it may be better to accept that you're over instead of wasting admin points de-stating areas that you will re-state in a decade or two.

In my experience, most runs have a governing capacity crunch somewhere about 1550-1650, when you're desperately short of gov cap for a few decades. Then town halls and state houses come online, and you get a load of gov cap from tech, and you don't have any problems for the rest of the game. (Except perhaps if you're going for a one-tag WC.)

Other methods of helping with gov cap:
  • estate privileges (which you already mentioned);
  • "expand administation" (spend gov reform progress from the gov reform screen);
  • build courthouses/town halls in every province (which is easy now they don't take a building slot);
  • build state houses (preferably on paper/gems/glass) (again, they don't use a building slot, but they do count as a manufactory, and they aren't necessary in territories or TCs);
  • use the "centralize state" interaction (for fully-owned states, in the state view);
  • upgrade your national rank (duchy -> kingdom -> empire) (can be difficult if you're in the HRE);
  • conquer and construct a monument which adds raw or % gov cap (eg. Naples, Madrid) (% increases are particularly useful for Prussia, because they have disproportionate impact(*) due to the additive interaction with the -50%gc from the Prussian government);
  • completed admin ideas (again, +%gc is disproportionately useful)
  • become economic hegemon (but you probably can't yet, and it's also probably not the best choice as Prussia)
---

(*) EDIT: Example of why +%gc is disproportionately useful as Prussia. If your base GC is 1000, then as Prussia your final GC is 1000*(1-50%) = 500. However, with admin ideas, this is increased to 1000*(1-50%+25%) = 750, which is a 50% increase from 500. So, as Prussia, admin ideas actually gives you 50% increase in gov cap, not 25%!

(Additional example: If you were playing as a stateless society, ie. the tribal government with -99% gov cap, then admin ideas would reduce this to -99% to -74%, ie. your GC changes from 1% to 26% of base, so in this case the +25% from admin ideas is worth +2500%. No, that's not a typo.)

Last edited:
Have just started a new game as Austria. Got all the usual PU's (Bohemia, Hungary, and Milan) and associated PU vassals (Bohemia's two and Moldavia under Hungary).

I am still in the first twenty years of my game and something has happened which hasn't really happened before in previous playthroughs, and it has occurred twice. That is countries have declared war directly on my PU or PU's vassal. Firstly, the Ottomans declared on Moldavia (Hungary's vassal) in one war and then Poland declared directly on Hungary in a second war. No actual problem to deal with as all my allies come in via call-to-arms and crush them, but it harkens back in my mind to older versions of the game where the AI didn't take into account of relative strength of alliances (in both instances of my game the AI was heavily outnumbered). Is this an issue from the latest patch?

Have just started a new game as Austria. Got all the usual PU's (Bohemia, Hungary, and Milan) and associated PU vassals (Bohemia's two and Moldavia under Hungary).

I am still in the first twenty years of my game and something has happened which hasn't really happened before in previous playthroughs, and it has occurred twice. That is countries have declared war directly on my PU or PU's vassal. Firstly, the Ottomans declared on Moldavia (Hungary's vassal) in one war and then Poland declared directly on Hungary in a second war. No actual problem to deal with as all my allies come in via call-to-arms and crush them, but it harkens back in my mind to older versions of the game where the AI didn't take into account of relative strength of alliances (in both instances of my game the AI was heavily outnumbered). Is this an issue from the latest patch?
It has been an issue for a long time, but the latest patch included changes to the how the AI calculation of relative strenght was done. The Burgundy-Liege war was very common because AI Burgundy would fail to consider the HRE Emperor's alliance block strength, and from my experience this is not longer happening.

There are probably still areas for improvement, but in general things are currently better than they once were is my take.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It is also more frequent that the AI goes vassals, I've seen for example the Ottomans declare on Athens, not Byzantium directly. While here the force disparity is similar, and it doesn't really matter if the Ottomans declare on Athens or Byzantium, since they are co-belligerents, in your case it's a little more weird. The above mentioned force calculation changes were introduced to make the AI more aware of overlords and their allies joining, maybe it has to do with the AI's uptuned aggressiveness to go for missions? It would explain Poland, who has a mission for Silesia, though I don't remember the Ottomans having any missions for Moldavia, maybe they would have attacked anyways, and that was their only available CB? Were you and your allies much stronger, enough so that in the past the AI wouldn't have dared to declare on you directly? I imagine you were, and if you were indeed, then I agree that something could be amiss in the AI's force calculations still.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have played Austria many times before and this situation strikes me as strange (although I perhaps haven't played them over the last couple of fixes). I have Castille and Burgundy as allies, as well as three PU's and four vassals; I therefore outnumber the Ottomans about 4-to-1 following "call to arms".

I also noticed the Athens DoW in my game. Is it that the AI is only calculating immediate overlord and not the overlord's allies?

In addition, it doesn't make the DoW "sound" when the war begins. It just notifies me that I have assumed the leadership in the war.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I had the exact same run ahah. Ottomans declalred on Athens (but annexed full Byz too), and declared on Moldavia which was a march from my Hungary's PU. Probably the AI still can't see so far up the tree.

Question too : is there any downside to my HRE-One Faith run if Rome is occupied by a catholic Florence ?

Anybody noticing anything odd about heir generation?

Doing an Austria playthrough and noticed something odd: first, I'm seeing a lot fewer thrones that can potentially have your dynasty installed (the crown pop-up).

Secondly, I've noticed something very perticular with regards to Spain (who I've been trying to PU for like a century now): whenever the Spanish ascends the throne, they immediately produce an age zero heir. I know that producing an heir on ascension has always been a possibility, but this is WEIRD. I tried rerolling several times to investigate the issue and noticed that whenever this specific monarch died, he was IMMEDIATELY replaced by an age zero heir - never anything else. By rerolling I managed to extend the ruler's lifetime by like 20 years and see multiple successions (like 4 or 5), but the heir who ascended ALWAYS auto-generated an age zero heir.

Even weirder, this continued to happen with the king's heir. When he died his heir also produced an age zero heir automatically. Then that ruler (or the one after him, can't remember which atm) died and left a regency for their heir - and as soon as the heir ascended to the throne at age 16 - BAM! He had an age zero heir as well.

This seems to be a really big uptick from how often I noticed this in prior games (my last got style playthrough was a patch or two ago). And in general I'm seeing a lot fewer open heir slots than previous patches (even went a decade or two with NO open heirs anywhere in Christendom at one point).

Anyone else noticing this?

I had the exact same run ahah. Ottomans declalred on Athens (but annexed full Byz too), and declared on Moldavia which was a march from my Hungary's PU. Probably the AI still can't see so far up the tree.
Yeah, there is already a bug report for it. For example in my game spain attacked a french cn. France was a pu subject of mine. I alone was 2/3 times stronger than spain, had additionally 3 large pus (france, burgundy, gb), 2 large marches (poland, livonia) and was allied to his only ally protugal, which defended me. We owned probably 2/3 of the new world together vs spains 1/3. There is still an issue with subjects of subjects.

Anybody noticing anything odd about heir generation?
I have not played enough on 1.34 to notice anything odd, but I know from past versions that a country with at least +200% heir chance gets a new heir after a day(might be immediately in at least some situations). Maybe they somehow got such a high heir chance in your game. When I noticed it I was sunni (+100%) mughals with assimilated congo culture(+50%), trading in dyes(+33%) and a couple of royal marriages(+5% each). Interestingly with +198% heir chance it still took a few months on average to get a new heir.

I have not played enough on 1.34 to notice anything odd, but I know from past versions that a country with at least +200% heir chance gets a new heir after a day(might be immediately in at least some situations). Maybe they somehow got such a high heir chance in your game. When I noticed it I was sunni (+100%) mughals with assimilated congo culture(+50%), trading in dyes(+33%) and a couple of royal marriages(+5% each). Interestingly with +198% heir chance it still took a few months on average to get a new heir.
AFAICT the only effect they seem to have on heir chance is the number for royal marriages, so I don't think it can be them tripping a +200% heir chance, especially over multiple generations over many decades.

I'm Castille, I'm in a war against France with Austria and Burgundy as my Allies participating as well.
During the war the BI fires and Burgundy becomes my JP. Great.
But a few months later, whilst we are all still fighting France I get the event "The Emperor Demands the Low Countries" and if I select the bottom option, Austria immediately withdraws from the war and is at war with me and Burgundy. How is that possible? We are at a war together and we are allies.

I'm Castille, I'm in a war against France with Austria and Burgundy as my Allies participating as well.
During the war the BI fires and Burgundy becomes my JP. Great.
But a few months later, whilst we are all still fighting France I get the event "The Emperor Demands the Low Countries" and if I select the bottom option, Austria immediately withdraws from the war and is at war with me and Burgundy. How is that possible? We are at a war together and we are allies.
It is part of an event chain within the Imperial Incident for the HRE that is the Burgundian Inheritance. Yes, it wouldn't be possible under normal circumstances for Austria to do this. But if the event conditions are met, it does happen the way you described.

Reactions:
It is part of an event chain within the Imperial Incident for the HRE that is the Burgundian Inheritance. Yes, it wouldn't be possible under normal circumstances for Austria to do this. But if the event conditions are met, it does happen the way you described.

Ok, luckily I nearly won the war with France already and Austria ain't that strong so I should be able to win it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hello there. Is it possible to form multiple german regional tags by forming something else in between?
For example: I start as Austria, first i form Prussia (The one exception) to get the juicy perma claims all over Germany and +5% adm efficiency. Next i form Sardinia-Piedmont to pick up another +5%. Then i switch back into Austria for the gouvernment type and the remaining missions before going Germany and finally Roman Empire.

Hello there. Is it possible to form multiple german regional tags by forming something else in between?
For example: I start as Austria, first i form Prussia (The one exception) to get the juicy perma claims all over Germany and +5% adm efficiency. Next i form Sardinia-Piedmont to pick up another +5%. Then i switch back into Austria for the gouvernment type and the remaining missions before going Germany and finally Roman Empire.

EDIT#2: Actually, it looks like you can only form Austria if you were NEVER a German regional tag. Both Prussia and Austria are German regional tags, so I think you're out of luck.

Yes, it's possible. (I mean, check the wiki for yourself to be sure, but it seems possible to me.)

But I've never been convinced that this kind of massive culture-shifting (Austrian -> Pomeranian/Saxon/Prussian -> Piedmontese/Sardinian -> Austrian) is worthwhile for anything other than hilarity. Permabuffs to admin efficiency usually require massive conquest, ie. lots of admin points; and culture shifting multiple times also consumes admin points (for de-stating & re-stating), and admin points are usually in short supply.

Also note that forming Prussia will require you to lose the HRE. (Firstly, because you need to change religion, and you probably want to form Prussia before the League has finished. Secondly, if you're an empire, then you can't culture-shift to a culture in the same culture group.) Losing the HRE isn't the typical approach for an Austria run, but it is definitely feasible. (EDIT: Also, note that forming Prussia while being neither the emperor nor an elector will force you to leave the HRE, complicating future expansion. But maybe you can get an elector vote before forming Prussia.) In fact, if you're intending to follow the Austria->Prussia route, it might actually be best to dismantle the HRE.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Yes, it's possible. (I mean, check the wiki for yourself to be sure, but it seems possible to me.)

But I've never been convinced that this kind of massive culture-shifting (Austrian -> Pomeranian/Saxon/Prussian -> Piedmontese/Sardinian -> Austrian) is worthwhile for anything other than hilarity. Permabuffs to admin efficiency usually require massive conquest, ie. lots of admin points; and culture shifting multiple times also consumes admin points (for de-stating & re-stating), and admin points are usually in short supply.

Also note that forming Prussia will require you to lose the HRE. (Firstly, because you need to change religion, and you probably want to form Prussia before the League has finished. Secondly, if you're an empire, then you can't culture-shift to a culture in the same culture group.) Losing the HRE isn't the typical approach for an Austria run, but it is definitely feasible. (EDIT: Also, note that forming Prussia while being neither the emperor nor an elector will force you to leave the HRE, complicating future expansion. But maybe you can get an elector vote before forming Prussia.) In fact, if you're intending to follow the Austria->Prussia route, it might actually be best to dismantle the HRE.

Thanks for the quick answer. I couldnt find something helpful in the Wiki. It only tells that you cant form a regional german tag as one of the others but not if it blocks you entirely if you ve been such a tag once.
My goal is stacking some admin efficiency, thats true. But i wont go over the top like taking all the Age of Revolution bonuses from missions or forming Mughals. The bonuses im aiming for are quite easy to get, especially the sardinian-piemontese. The prussian requires to conquer most of Gremany, more challenging but i ve conquered all of it as Brandenburg in 1527 once.
Im planning to take religious + influence anyways. So culture changes will be very cheap. I want to keep de-stating and re-stating as little as possible. Only when absolutism and admin efficiency have rolled in combined with admin ideas i would do that on a larger scale. At this point im planning to go Sardinia-Piedmont from Prussia and then back into Austria. Germany then will be no issue cause im Austrian anyways. Same for the Roman Empire.
No worries, i wont go too crazy with tag switching :)
And for the HRE i dont care. I ve played the vassal swarm before and i ve found it super boring all the time. But i ve never done a WC and thats what im aiming for this time.

Thanks for the quick answer. I couldnt find something helpful in the Wiki. It only tells that you cant form a regional german tag as one of the others but not if it blocks you entirely if you ve been such a tag once.
Please note that I found a problem and edited my post at about the same time as you read it. Now, I think the final part (forming Austria) is not possible.

EDIT: I checked the code for the decision to form Austria and I'm convinced. The "potential" block will fail (ie. the decision will not even be visible) because you were previously Austria (and Prussia).

Code:
country_decisions = {
    habsburg_nation = { ######### Austria formation decision
        potential = {
            was_never_german_regional_tag_trigger = yes
        }
Code:
was_never_german_regional_tag_trigger = {    #Country Scope
    NOT = { was_tag = BRA }
    NOT = { was_tag = PRU } ######## PRU = Prussia
    NOT = { was_tag = POM }
    NOT = { was_tag = SAX }
    NOT = { was_tag = BAV }
    NOT = { was_tag = HAB } ######## HAB = Austria
    NOT = { was_tag = SWA }
    NOT = { was_tag = FKN }
    NOT = { was_tag = WES }
    NOT = { was_tag = HAN }

NOT = { tag = BRA }
    NOT = { tag = PRU }
    NOT = { tag = POM }
    NOT = { tag = SAX }
    NOT = { tag = BAV }
    NOT = { tag = HAB }
    NOT = { tag = SWA }
    NOT = { tag = FKN }
    NOT = { tag = WES }
    NOT = { tag = HAN }
}

From the wiki:
was_tagCountryReturns true if the country was a particular tag.Countrywas_tag = MUG

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: