EUIV - Quick Questions / Quick Answers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How are people making the big money from trade?

In my last game as Britain I rushed towards Asia and held 90% of trade power in the Canton, East indies including Philippines, the cape of good hope and Ivory coast. I only brought in around 200 at best. This was with 100 Mercantilism and spamming manufacturies on all the valuable trade goods.

Whats the trick to bringing in the game breaking amounts and is asia the region I should be heading to at all?

In my last game as Britain I rushed towards Asia and held 90% of trade power in the Canton, East indies including Philippines, the cape of good hope and Ivory coast. I only brought in around 200 at best. This was with 100 Mercantilism and spamming manufacturies on all the valuable trade goods.

Whats the trick to bringing in the game breaking amounts and is asia the region I should be heading to at all?
Do you have merchants in all these nodes and do they actually steer in the right direction? The ivory coast is the most important node, because it decides where all the asian trade goes(if it leaves asia at all which depends on the merchants in the asian nodes). And you need a high share of the trade power in the english channel to really benefit from the trade value which you steer there.

Do you have merchants in all these nodes and do they actually steer in the right direction? The ivory coast is the most important node, because it decides where all the asian trade goes(if it leaves asia at all which depends on the merchants in the asian nodes). And you need a high share of the trade power in the english channel to really benefit from the trade value which you steer there.
Granted the English Trade node could be higher its around 75% with protecting trade. but yea I have merchants on everything else diverting.

I always found Earnings / Node Value rate to be a much better indicator of how well your Trade is doing. Except for few decades at the beginning of the campaign, it should be going over 100% pretty quickly.

Plus, with a few modifications you can use that ratio to evaluate what Nodes to focus for steering. I.e. instead of Earnings, you use the actual amount going towards down the path to your home node - the amount can be seen accurately only on the Trade map mode.

Granted the English Trade node could be higher its around 75% with protecting trade. but yea I have merchants on everything else diverting.
I thought about it some more and 200 trade income is not bad for the nodes which you describe. If the trade setup is good, you get about twice as much trade income as production income. You can get a higher ratio of trade income to production income by having many colonial nations, because they give you trade power but no production income. And you can get much more by having a very long chain of trade nodes which you fully control and a high trade steering modifier so that the trade value increases considerably for each node(this is mandatory for insanely high amounts, e.g. 1 million ducats/month).
Other things that you can do to increase your trade income are:
  • get "transfer trade power" in peace deals(or diplomatically) from nations which have trade power in nodes in which you have merchants
  • get "steer trade" in peace deals(or diplomatically) from nations which have trade power in nodes in which you don't have merchants
  • prioritize conquering provinces with trade power modifiers
  • charter trade company provinces with trade power modifiers
  • get more light ships to protect trade in important nodes
  • get trade ideas
  • conquer india. I think it has a higher trade value than china
You can get some more specific recommendations if you post a save game and screenshots of the trade maps and the trade tab of the country view. But I think this would be better in a separate thread

Reactions:
Quick question about the DoF. I want to attack the English but they are allied to Austria, which I am as well. As such I first want to drag Austria in a seperate war with me before declaring on England. France is the perfect target since they are Austrias rival (same for me). However, Austria is also the DoF and normally would defend France, but in this case wont since they are rivals. But Austria also will not join me either, eventhough they have enough 'positive' reasons to join me and the tooltip even states ''they will most likely accept!". Will Austria not join me because they are the DoF and would normally join France?
20210203195017_1.jpg

Quick question about the DoF. I want to attack the English but they are allied to Austria, which I am as well. As such I first want to drag Austria in a seperate war with me before declaring on England. France is the perfect target since they are Austrias rival (same for me). However, Austria is also the DoF and normally would defend France, but in this case wont since they are rivals. But Austria also will not join me either, eventhough they have enough 'positive' reasons to join me and the tooltip even states ''they will most likely accept!". Will Austria not join me because they are the DoF and would normally join France?
Yes, they can't join you, because they are supposed to join the other side. If they decline the call-to-arms as the DotF, they will get a truce with France which will prevent you from calling them in later. But they will also lose their title as DotF.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hi guys,

I'm doing really well in my Aragon > Emperor Italy run.

Problem is governing capacity is a huge, huge problem. I've only got about 300 right now, working on admin ideas (fell behind admin in general cause I rushed religious ideas for the reformation) but after integrating Byzantium I am really struggling.

I have spammed courthouses in nearly every province and will continue to do so, but if I auto-inherit Naples which I fear i will next ruler death, it'll continually become more of a problem.

I know that the Emperor cannot upgrade government type so was just wondering how I'll get around this? I never had this problem before as Austria, don't know what's different.

Hi guys,

I'm doing really well in my Aragon > Emperor Italy run.

Problem is governing capacity is a huge, huge problem. I've only got about 300 right now, working on admin ideas (fell behind admin in general cause I rushed religious ideas for the reformation) but after integrating Byzantium I am really struggling.

I have spammed courthouses in nearly every province and will continue to do so, but if I auto-inherit Naples which I fear i will next ruler death, it'll continually become more of a problem.

I know that the Emperor cannot upgrade government type so was just wondering how I'll get around this? I never had this problem before as Austria, don't know what's different.
As emperor of the HRE you should be empire rank. But I think that there is a bug currently which makes you lose it if you form another country. I think I read a comment on the steam forums where a player was able to get back empire rank, but they could not explain how.
You could get 300 extra governing capacity if you give your estates the privileges which give +100.
If you don't want to inherit Naples, you can give them more provinces. Each province that they have reduces the inheritance chance by 1% and if it is negative, you can't inherit them. But then you would have to integrate them manually in the future.

Reactions:
As emperor of the HRE you should be empire rank. But I think that there is a bug currently which makes you lose it if you form another country. I think I read a comment on the steam forums where a player was able to get back empire rank, but they could not explain how.
You could get 300 extra governing capacity if you give your estates the privileges which give +100.
If you don't want to inherit Naples, you can give them more provinces. Each province that they have reduces the inheritance chance by 1% and if it is negative, you can't inherit them. But then you would have to integrate them manually in the future.
Ah jeez...I knew something was up.

Only having 300 governing capacity really sucks wanting to go for a WC. Do you have any idea where I could find how he was able to get back Empire rank?

Appreciate the response. I'll try and fiddle with it.

I looked up the steam discussion that I was talking about: https://steamcommunity.com/app/236850/discussions/0/3112519113938698852/

I played around a little just now and I think I found a way to get the empire rank back. Just enact a government reform. It doesn't seem to matter if you enact a new reform or if you change an existing tier. Does this help in your case?
Hi, thanks for this.

I'll check this when I am able to load the game and hope it works. Otherwise I'll just have to temporarily lose the emperorship, win it back and hope that fixes it.

Thanks again.

I looked up the steam discussion that I was talking about: https://steamcommunity.com/app/236850/discussions/0/3112519113938698852/

I played around a little just now and I think I found a way to get the empire rank back. Just enact a government reform. It doesn't seem to matter if you enact a new reform or if you change an existing tier. Does this help in your case?
I just wanted to thank you so much.

Taking a reform did the trick. I'm an Empire again and have zero governing capacity issues (especially since this whole bug made me take loans to spam courthouses lol).

guys i didnt like the new expel minorities feature. in old one you could simply get your primary culture in the province where you expelled minorities from. but current one i can not simply get rid of the minorities because 16 DEV province loses only 3-4 DEV for one time expel. so how many times do i have to expel them to get completely rid of them? also lets say after 3-4 tries, can i see my primary culture in that province or do i have to convert that expelled province's culture too?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
guys i didnt like the new expel minorities feature. in old one you could simply get your primary culture in the province where you expelled minorities from. but current one i can not simply get rid of the minorities because 16 DEV province loses only 3-4 DEV for one time expel. so how many times do i have to expel them to get completely rid of them? also lets say after 3-4 tries, can i see my primary culture in that province or do i have to convert that expelled province's culture too?
Expel minorities doesn't change the culture or religion of the original province anymore (not even if it starts with 0 dev).You have to manually convert it if you want to change the culture

• 1Like
Reactions:
To become emperor of the HRE I need more votes from electors then the competition when the current emperor dies. In my VH France game I get two votes already from my allies. Is there a way to discourage the other electors to vote for Austria? Does a humiliation of Austria make a difference or are there other ways to sabotage Austria?

Why is AI behavior under PUs really dumb? I specifically set them on Supportive and I set one regiment to allow attachment and Lithuania's army simply freeze in place, setting them on no focus actually seem to make them move their troops more. I never have this problem with regular vassals.

Why is AI behavior under PUs really dumb? I specifically set them on Supportive and I set one regiment to allow attachment and Lithuania's army simply freeze in place, setting them on no focus actually seem to make them move their troops more. I never have this problem with regular vassals.

was that one unit in Lithuania? Anyways, PU subjects on supportive is bad idea, as they won't kill (pretender) rebels in their nation then.

To become emperor of the HRE I need more votes from electors then the competition when the current emperor dies. In my VH France game I get two votes already from my allies. Is there a way to discourage the other electors to vote for Austria? Does a humiliation of Austria make a difference or are there other ways to sabotage Austria?
It makes some difference, since humiliating Austria makes them lose prestige. The 30 base prestige hit is just -8 reasons though. Cancelling Austria's alliances with electors removes (obviously) the +10 voting bonus they get from said alliance, so that's another thing you can do. However, it's probably rather hard to give them more than a 20 point hit or so towards reelection. If they only have their starting lands, maybe you could declare a conquest war and make Austria release Styria or Tyrol to get them below the development threshold for "Large HRE Nation".

Reactions: