EUIV - Quick Questions / Quick Answers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
what is the cooldown on breaking the alliance and then warring them?

or differently put, is it worth taking the stab hit?

The truce time is 5 years. Taking the stab hit is probably worth it, especially if you have the ADM MPs to recover it immediately, as taking Austria in PU is saving you a lot of ADM points that will not be cored for Austrian provinces later, if you consider only the MP cost. The other alternative is to wait, but usually an heir rises some months before the end of the truce...

First time playing natives, I noticed they're paying the same land maintenance as Europeans. That can't be right, can it?
Do you have any modifiers to maintenance or unit costs? Without modifiers every nation in the game pays the same for their armies.

Do you have any modifiers to maintenance or unit costs? Without modifiers every nation in the game pays the same for their armies.
I think that's odd, they have much worse military technology but pay the same amount. They can't really afford it. I'm thinking 25% regiment cost would be more appropriate.

I think that's odd, they have much worse military technology but pay the same amount. They can't really afford it. I'm thinking 25% regiment cost would be more appropriate.
The tech affects the maintenance cost, but this is only +2% for each tech. But this again affects all nations equally. And the natives are just two techs behind europe at the start of the game, so they are not much worse. Even if these two techs would give them a big discount, they would have to pay the normal price pretty soon when they reach tech 3. And not all natives are poor. If you play a 3-dev OPM in a province that produces something that has a price of 2, you will be very poor. But so would an old world country in the same situation. If you have the conquest of Paradise DLC and start as a native council you have the advantage that you can migrate to better provinces. And if you are one of the Inti/Nahuatl/Mayan countries, you can conquer your way to richness.

Why is Poland not in my war against Lithuania despite them being Lithuania's overlord?

eu4_262.png

The tech affects the maintenance cost, but this is only +2% for each tech. But this again affects all nations equally. And the natives are just two techs behind europe at the start of the game, so they are not much worse. Even if these two techs would give them a big discount, they would have to pay the normal price pretty soon when they reach tech 3. And not all natives are poor. If you play a 3-dev OPM in a province that produces something that has a price of 2, you will be very poor. But so would an old world country in the same situation. If you have the conquest of Paradise DLC and start as a native council you have the advantage that you can migrate to better provinces. And if you are one of the Inti/Nahuatl/Mayan countries, you can conquer your way to richness.
Ah, yes, I forgot about the hardcoded maintenance increase with mil tech. It's not that quick to reach tech 3, though. With institution penalty and native military ideas available, it can take 50 years or more.

I was actually playing Salish. However, unless you find gold after migrating, the difference between good and bad province is cca 0.20 ducats which is only enough for maintenance of one additional regiment.

Is there a way to receive an alert or pop-up if a country of your choice goes to war? For instance, I am playing as Naples, and I'd love to receive a pop-up if one of my enemies is embroiled in a conflict elsewhere. ;)

Is there a way to receive an alert or pop-up if a country of your choice goes to war? For instance, I am playing as Naples, and I'd love to receive a pop-up if one of my enemies is embroiled in a conflict elsewhere. ;)

I myself set up messages so that I will have a pop up when any country starts a war. The AI is not starting so much wars, and this is the only way to know if one of your enemies/possible targets is involved in a war, because I have not found a way to have a message when a given country joins a war.

• 2Like
Reactions:
i just had another idea, and need some info... if i start a custom natuatl western nation , do i start with institutions or not?

i just had another idea, and need some info... if i start a custom natuatl western nation , do i start with institutions or not?
I did a quick test and it seems that you start as non-primitive and with tech 3 and feudalism as western nahuatl country in mesoamerica. And you can't do the nahutl reforms.
But depending on what you want to do, you may have other options. If you want to do Nahuatl reforms, you could start as Animist country in the western tech group with the province Cholula (2644) and then use the event The Temple City of Cholula to convert to Nahutl. I think that this makes you primitive, but you keep the feudalism institution.

message settings are crucial for this game. First and foremost, and this might be the most neglected aspect of eu4. Hidden popup and pause messages that you can enable, that are off by default. I'll use some self made images to explain ;)

popups_1.jpg

popup2.jpg

In message settings select "all" tab and enable the popup and pause for every herald possible for *every option" in the "to me", "from me", "interesting" and "other" categories.. You can select unpause also for each popup you get. Then you will get the popup, but game won't pause. In many cases, this isn't good idea. Like when battle starts, when army arrives and whatnot.

Then, in the window above the map buttons select your interesting countries. The result is that you can perfectly see when a new king comes to power, or when an event takes place that kills an heir of a country.
If you want to fine-tune the message settings without disabling stuff you don't like:

You can enable certain message types only for interesting category and other types for other. Select your interesting countries, and you will get the messages selected in "interesting" tab for those nations you made "interesting". All the other nations will go under "other" category, and you can enable/disable whatever in that tab.

As for the messages in the message box: if you click "send to log" in the message settings along with popup, you get both. But I never use the message box above minimap, as its WAY to easy to miss stuff there. But if you want to use it, set the according message types to "log". Up to you then if you want popup and pause for that message type as well. This can be handy when you accidentally click a popup away you didn't read. If its important, and if you set important stuff to show in the log as well, it will also be listed there.

You will never miss anything important happening in the world again.

Example: Enable minor and major event popup and pause for interesting countries, for any event they get. Why? *If* that interesting country has 40+ king with a regency heir for example, and the target county gets the event that might kill their heir, you can see the outcome right after. No more AI unions without you having a clue. It netted me, yet again, a pu over a greater power, England... Their king was 40+, their heir got sick, and it left me opening to RM England and install a noble of my throne. King died year after, and I used the cb gain to start force union war. It took me 14 years of loans, looming bankruptcy and sky high war exhaustion when he died, but I won. All because I started eyeing them month after month, waiting for my chance in the game of thrones.

You can then later disable the popup and pause for message types you don't like (like what country gives military access to another etc) by changing it in the popup window (options at right bottom). Some important popup you should enable for popup and pause: when armies arrive at destination, when country gets new king, major and minor events for you, and for interesting countries (prepare to read ton of stuff, you *can* disable this but you might miss out on easy dynasty spread chances when a country' heir dies due to event), diplomats arriving back home, traders arriving back home, what country gets succession war with another, when a country starts integrating a vassal and so on and so forth.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I started a war with "Force Migration" CB, but I don't get the corresponding peace option. Is the peace option unavailable to non-migratory nations? If there are any conditions disabling the peace option, then they should be disabling the CB as well.

I started a war with "Force Migration" CB, but I don't get the corresponding peace option. Is the peace option unavailable to non-migratory nations? If there are any conditions disabling the peace option, then they should be disabling the CB as well.
Normally you should have the peace option if you have the CB. But maybe the peace option became unavailable during the war. Did the stop being migratory? This would happen if they got a second province or if they reformed their government and are not primitive anymore. Or maybe there is no empty province to which they can migrate or maybe you don't border them anymore. But I don't know if the last two options would remove the peace option completely

• 1Like
Reactions:
Normally you should have the peace option if you have the CB. But maybe the peace option became unavailable during the war. Did the stop being migratory? This would happen if they got a second province or if they reformed their government and are not primitive anymore. Or maybe there is no empty province to which they can migrate or maybe you don't border them anymore. But I don't know if the last two options would remove the peace option completely
None of the above:

migrate_cnk.PNG
Before the war

cant_migrate_cnk.PNG
After

I did find a bug report from 2016, where one user claims he has the same issue, while another one doesn't.
Hi,

if you colonise a province in south america besides a native OPM you get the "forced migration" CB.

I used this CB and occupied the province. But in the peace negotiation I was not able to choose the "forced migration" because of the duchy rank of the OPM. I should not have gotten the CB at all if I'm not able to enforce it.

You can test this with the attached save game. Declare war to Potiguara, occupy them an look at the peace negotiation screen.

I hope to get some response from you.

Best Phelan

I did a quick test and it seems that you start as non-primitive and with tech 3 and feudalism as western nahuatl country in mesoamerica. And you can't do the nahutl reforms.
But depending on what you want to do, you may have other options. If you want to do Nahuatl reforms, you could start as Animist country in the western tech group with the province Cholula (2644) and then use the event The Temple City of Cholula to convert to Nahutl. I think that this makes you primitive, but you keep the feudalism institution.
thx. wanted to try that religion mechanics, and doing a few achivements with custom nations at the same time... let's find an horrible 3 dev province in the area

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how I can trigger the French Revolution? Age of Revolutions will hit in a year or two and I want to get Revolutionary France (and Napoleon hopefully) .

I think you can activate it via the mission tree but I will never get the minimum autonomy in time given all the land I have. I think it can be triggered via bad stability/loans/unrest. Any tips would be appreciated.

Last save the "revolution" got crushed very quickly elsewhere in Europe so I don't want to take the chance of it not spreading.

Thank you.

None of the above:

View attachment 637945
Before the war

View attachment 637944
After

I did find a bug report from 2016, where one user claims he has the same issue, while another one doesn't.
I recreated your situation and I can reproduce the problem. Then I did three more tests and it seems that the peace term only allows you to force a migration to a province which shares a land border or strait crossing with the province that they currently own. And it doesn't seem to be possible to force them to migrate over a sea tile(if there is no strait crossing). So you don't get the peace term, because there is no available province. But in some way this is a bug. Either it is a bug that you can't force them to migrate over water or it is a bug that you get the CB if there is no eligible province.
I think you should make a bugreport about this and attach the save game from before the war and the save game from during the war along with your screenshots.

Reactions: