EUIV - Quick Questions / Quick Answers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Where can I find another nation’s Legitimacy?
Is there anything I can ever do to lower it?
(As Netherlands I would really like that PU over England event to fire, but it requires <50 english legitimacy)
The Ledger, page 3.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I wonder what Scandinavia is after in an Imperialist War against the Ottomans in 1810? Both Empires are more or less in their historical borders. If they want territory that far away from home, I would intervene to prevent it. Otherwise, if they are just going for release of countries, I'd let them.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm unclear on the vassalization, diplo-vassalization mechanic. Can Republics Vassalize another country, i.e., sans RM, and eventually diplo-annex them?

Yes, you can vassalize any nation with an alliance. more than 190 relation (harder to get without RM but totally doable) and who are willing to be vassalized, that depending mostly on how big and powerful you are relative to them. Also, ofc you can vassalize via war and then eventually you can diploannex.

You can see their willingness/unwillingness to be vassalized and the reasons, before you start the whole process of allying and improving relations, hovering over the green tick or red X in the offer vassalization diplomatic button

New question: Is there an idea or modifier to protect against pirate coastal raids? Suddenly I get only 1% effectiveness of raid even with a full fleet, against certain countries while others are at 100% as usual

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
New question: Is there an idea or modifier to protect against pirate coastal raids? Suddenly I get only 1% effectiveness of raid even with a full fleet, against certain countries while others are at 100% as usual
That is due to the privateering penalty that you can see if you open the trade node. It depends on the trade node of the province and not on the country that you are raiding. You can send your fleet to privateer in that node for one month to reduce the penalty(include all your ships to increase the number of cannons even if the ships don't offer any trade power for privateering).

Reactions:
Super helpful - yes, I see, I'm about 100 points behind, mostly because of economy, which seems strange since I am a Great Power as Lubeck with maybe 30-40 provinces, including richer ones than Hamburg itself, such as Lubeck proper, Bremen, and Zealand (Demark's capital?). Hmm. Does not look promising, but do better relations improve chances?

(I see that "friendly" gives a +10, but we're only at 15 relations, so not sure if it's only 10 for friendly and that is that, or it can be upscaled.)

Super helpful - yes, I see, I'm about 100 points behind, mostly because of economy, which seems strange since I am a Great Power as Lubeck with maybe 30-40 provinces, including richer ones than Hamburg itself, such as Lubeck proper, Bremen, and Zealand (Demark's capital?). Hmm. Does not look promising, but do better relations improve chances?

(I see that "friendly" gives a +10, but we're only at 15 relations, so not sure if it's only 10 for friendly and that is that, or it can be upscaled.)
Friendly, allied and threatened give a flat +10, but only allied actually matters, because you can't diplomatically vassalize countries to which you are not allied. Improving relations doesn't give any modifiers for acceptance, but you would need 190 relations to be able to click the button.
100 points behind is almost impossible to overcome. If you want to know the formula for the economic base, have a look at this comment. I think that the development for that formula is modified by autonomy, but I never got around to properly test this(that's also why I didn't update the wrong formula on the wiki). In simple terms this formula means that only development matters and you need to be much much bigger than the target that you want to vassalize(about the square of their development).

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm a little unclear of what "years of separatism" means relative to "autonomy." Is that how many years, on average, that the autonomy score will be a certain level, etc. or indicative of something else? Thank you

I'm a little unclear of what "years of separatism" means relative to "autonomy." Is that how many years, on average, that the autonomy score will be a certain level, etc. or indicative of something else? Thank you
Years of separatism and autonomy have nothing to do with each other. Years of separatism is how many years it takes for the unrest modifier from separatism to tick down to 0. Each year it ticks down by 0.5. The default is 30 years of separatism, so you get +15 unrest from that in newly conquered provinces. If you would have a modifier which gives e.g. -10 years of separatism, you would get +10 unrest from separatism in newly conquered provinces. I there is already separatism in the province, you add to the existing separatism(it can be as high as +20 unrest according to the wiki).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Super helpful. Had no idea! Thanks!

What's the max amount of trust you can lose with a nation in a peace deal before getting 'Recently broke a promise to give land'? Is it 10?

yes. more then 10 trust loss and you get -1000 to promise them land de to malus "recently broke promise to give land" -1000

Playing as Aragon - I just integrated naples, and I can form Spain because I have Castille as Junior Partner.
However I want the spanish mission tree, for which I need to culture shift. What is the most efficient way to do this? Destate aragonese land and state neapolitan land and promote them so the culture/development balance leans over to neapolitan?

It's my first proper game in ages

you don't need to culture shift if you want to play the spanish mission tree...
Countries with Catalan or Aragonese primary culture get Aragonese missions when forming Spain and not Spanish missions. So Aragon needs to change their culture to get Spanish missions.

• 1Like
Reactions:
you don't need to culture shift if you want to play the spanish mission tree...
Wiki says otherwise:

You don't get the Spanish missions if your culture is Aragonese or Catalan when you form Spain. If you start as Flag of Aragon Aragon you need to culture convert before forming Spain to complete this achievement, otherwise you retain the Aragonese missions (culture converting after formation does not change your missions).
I´m not sure if destating and stating works (wiki says it does), however you can exploit development in aragonese land and develop in naples.
Or you culture convert some provinces, not sure if you can convert your primary culture though
You could also try to integrate Castile and then just shift to their culture, as it should have a big enough part in your nation (given you´re not already empire rank)
that would however cost a lot of points since the integration can be avoided with forming spain diplomatically and you´d form it militarily

• 1Like
Reactions:
Regarding the pop up that gives you a female heir (not sure on the term for it) - you get a 'surprise a daughter !' and can either recognize her as your heir or not:

Is that designed to give you an unusually powerful heir ?

I ask, as in a Byzantine game with the usual 2/2/2 idiots, I got offered a 6/6/6 female heir ! She didn't even have a hunting accident !

Thinking about it, I've seen 10+ pt heirs with other nations, very different to the male heirs I'd otherwise get, hence the question.