EUIV - Quick Questions / Quick Answers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I believe it was a reworking of an earlier coring mechanic: If a province was overseas (ie. different continent than your capital, not close to your capital, and not connected by land) then it cost significantly less to core but also provided fewer benefits. IIRC, if you wanted to make trade companies, then they also had to be "overseas". At the time, the way I got my WC as Ottomans was to create a vassal Persia that blocked-off India and everything further east, which made the cost of coring everything vaguely manageable. The state/territory system seems like a development of this earlier feature.

As for the naming, well, it's actually fairly common in former British colonies. Eg: India, Canada and Australia. I'm not too familiar with the political structure of India but, for Canada and Australia at least, "territories" usually have much smaller population and have fewer rights at federal level. It's not a big jump to see how this nomenclature could be reused in EU4.
I was mostly asking because it felt weird for Austria having Eastern Burgundy as a territory. It doesn't make much sense for any country not doing colonization.

Edit: furthermore, State of Yorkshire doesn't sound particularly good either.

How did they come up with the state/territory thing anyway? I'm not sure if any country other than USA uses this distinction.
It was so that you can decide what your state was and what your territory is. Previously you only have "state" and oversea provinces. Everything that isn't connected to your capital and is on different continent is consider oversea. So at present that means it's a territory. Which it's quite shit.
Example you if your playing Tunis and conquer Italy. Everything there is consider oversea so, it has 75% autonomy and only way to change that is to conquer everything between that and your capital to become a "state".

When adding the state/territory thing you have control over that, so you don't have to conquer everything. It kinda makes oversea territory obsolete, but there are some rare thing that still use that making it some time confusing.

Is Council of Trent and harsh/conciliatory stance working as they should? In most of my games, be it iron man or just for fun, I end up with -80 relation modifier and not being able to ally anyone. Does not seem like a reasonable game play mechanic to me.

Is Council of Trent and harsh/conciliatory stance working as they should? In most of my games, be it iron man or just for fun, I end up with -80 relation modifier and not being able to ally anyone. Does not seem like a reasonable game play mechanic to me.
The council of Trent ends at some point so those penalties will disappear.

There are several decisions within the council in the Harsh stance that each give -20 relations towards heretics. So it's WAD, but it's a bit too harsh, in my last Pope game the Europe only had minor heretics, probably due to the harsh stance I took giving big negative relations between catholics and heretics.

Probably it needs to be tweaked.

The council of Trent ends at some point so those penalties will disappear.
Though it does end, the penalties stay. Surely it's a bug. I think I filed a report for the bug where Conciliatory Milan was picking Harsh stance, I don't have the patience to do another one.

Though it does end, the penalties stay. Surely it's a bug. I think I filed a report for the bug where Conciliatory Milan was picking Harsh stance, I don't have the patience to do another one.
I am doing a Swiss lake run, depending on how things evolve I will log in a bug report if I get the right info.

Is it possible to "kill" the religious league war in its cradle by force-converting all members of the protestant league? Non-protestant countries can't become leaders, after all, but will it disband when the leader gets converted and noone else can become the new one?

It'd be so much easier to convert Denmark and a couple minors in successive wars than face a league war with both Ottomans and Russia on the opposing side that could trigger at whatever time is least convenient.

Is it possible to "kill" the religious league war in its cradle by force-converting all members of the protestant league? Non-protestant countries can't become leaders, after all, but will it disband when the leader gets converted and noone else can become the new one?

It'd be so much easier to convert Denmark and a couple minors in successive wars than face a league war with both Ottomans and Russia on the opposing side that could trigger at whatever time is least convenient.
What makes you think a league leader must be Protestant?

This? "The Protestant League is created and headed by the first newly converted Elector, and the Catholic League will begin with the current Emperor at the head. " :D

This tooltip, and the fact that Denmark is the leader right now as the clearly strongest protestant power in their league.
eu4_60.png

I know it says "become leader" rather than "be leader", which is why I decided to ask the forums for clarification.

This? "The Protestant League is created and headed by the first newly converted Elector, and the Catholic League will begin with the current Emperor at the head. " :D
That one is verified to be outdated as in my current run Holland became the league leader without even being an Elector.
This tooltip, and the fact that Denmark is the leader right now as the clearly strongest protestant power in their league.View attachment 599564

I know it says "become leader" rather than "be leader", which is why I decided to ask the forums for clarification.
That doesn't mean a Sunni Ottomans can't become the league leader once you "dethrone" current one.

Reactions:
What happens when, as a catholic, you colonize a province in an area that is claimed by Great Britain, but now GB is Anglican? And it was already Anglican when the fifth province was colonized, yet the pope still gave them the land. It's ironman, so I can't check what happens without messing the game.

Last edited:
What happens when, as a catholic, you colonize a province in an area that is claimed by Great Britain, but now GB is Anglican? And it was already Anglican when the fifth province was colonized, yet the pope still gave them the land. It's ironman, so I can't check what happens without messing the game.
probably reload so it recalculates, if its not catholic it shouldnt get pope interactions, you lose opinion and probably settlers if you break the treaty, not worth due to settlers

It will still count as a violation of the Treaty of Tordesillas. Great Britain's religion doesn't matter for the treaty. At the moment that they get the treaty their CN must be catholic and the pope must have a positive opinion of Great Britain. Afterwards the religion of the CN and the opinion of the pope doesn't matter anymore. The only way that I know how to remove the treaty is to kill Great Britain.