EUIV - Help us identify your most wanted bugfix - 29th of October 2019

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

StarNaN

Victoria 3 Lead Producer
Paradox Staff
16 Badges
Aug 17, 2013
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
Hello, I am “StarNaN” and you may have seen me on the EUIV bug forums. I work as Quality Assurance on Europa Universalis IV. When prioritizing bugs, a lot of different factors go into that decision. A few examples are “how many are affected by this bug?”, “what is the severity of the bug?” and “how long will it take to fix the bug?”. We try to fix bugs that we believe affects you, our players, the most.

I would like to have a better overview of what bugs you find annoying, so here we are :)

This thread will be moderated in a different way than other threads, and we will have a few different rules. The guidelines for this thread are the following:
  • One bug per post.
  • Avoid flooding the thread with all the bugs you know about, try to think of the one bug you would most ideally want fixed.
  • Describe the bug as thorough as possible. Having a link to a Bug Forum thread that has more information and steps to reproduce or a save where it is currently occurring helps us greatly. Posts that do not have sufficient information will be removed.
  • Avoid duplicates. Look through the thread and see if someone else has posted the bug that you wanted to write about. Instead of writing your own post, agree with that post. Duplicates will be removed.
  • Avoid discussions. I want this thread as clean as possible, so everyone can find issues to agree with more easily. Discussions will be removed.
Throughout the week, I will monitor this thread and see which bugs you would like us to fix, but also see if there are any bugs missing in our database.

Please note that while we will look at the most “popular” bugs, we can’t guarantee that they will be fixed for 1.30. We will try to make 1.30 as good as possible, and I believe having your input is instrumental for that.

Depending on how this thread turns out, we might do more of these types of structured feedback threads in the future.

No matter what I'll pick someone will inevitably come up with something which makes me say "oh wait I want that". So I'll just go ahead with one:

When a larger country is receiving trade power from a smaller one diplomatically, there is absolutely no way to get the larger country's trade power in the same war. If you're fighting one of its trade partners and demand trade power, instead of changing from giving trade power to me, it instead gives trade power to both me and the main war participant. That feels like a bug that the diplomatic trade agreement isn't forcibly cancelled. I'd like that fixed so I can more easily get large trade transfers when spawning Global Trade.

EDIT: A bug report I made about it.

The lying UI needs to be fixed. If there's any question about what I mean with "lying UI", then allow me to elaborate with these two glaring examples that are easily replicated at any time:
  • Truce timers running out several months before the notification says they will, making truce juggling a pain in the ass. To reproduce this, just declare a war, win or lose, you get a truce timer. The alert will say it ends in May, for example, but you will get the pop-up saying the truce is over in February.
  • Allied co-belligerents in a war saying they will join the defender, but not doing so. Very frustrating if you're trying to either circumnavigate truces or break massive hugbox alliances. I can't say I have enough understanding of why this is to give steps to recreate this, it just seems to happen to me when I declare on a small nation with the intent of eating them and their allies.
That's a huge issue that's been in the game for nearly half a decade now. Perhaps longer, I can't recall anymore.

EDIT: Seeing as this is, as of writing this update, the most agreed with item, I would like to make it 1000% clear that this issue extends WELL beyond the two examples I gave. I merely used the two most easily replicated ones as examples. The UI lying is such a widespread thing that it may be easier to list areas where it DOESN'T lie.

Last edited:
Imperial Mapmode Bug - I made a thread fairly long ago on this. Jake replied that you guys would look into it so hopefully this gets fixed.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ug-greatly-impacting-user-experience.1124210/

Here's part of the bug report:
Previous patches had only your capital colored crimson while the other provinces were uncoloured which allowed you to see which provinces were and weren't part of the HRE as you added them one by one. 1.25 allowed you to add provinces to the HRE and have that province immediately turn to crimson without having to "refresh" by switching to political mapmode, then back to the Imperial mapmode.

1.26 took that QoL change back to the stone age by having literally every province colored and making you have to click on. every. single. province. you own, to see if it's a part of the HRE or not in province view.

The bug where you can't gain more than 2 Personal Unions at once.
forum. paradoxplaza. com/forum/index. php?threads/eu-iv-enforcing-pu-in-peace-deal.1175234/
(the forum is not letting me post a link, so to open the link, please remove the spaces after the dots)

But here is an exert from the bug report:
During a war to enforce a PU on a traget that itself has PUs, in my cases this was in one game: war to get to enforce a PU over Castile who had a PU over Aragon and Naples; and in another game, I claimed the throne of Burgundy, who has their normal PUs.
In both cases it would have resulted in me receiving 3 or more PUs upon enforcing my war goal, but while I always got the PU over the main target, instead of getting the other ones as well I got in the case of the one over Castile only a PU over Naples, but Aragon became independent, with an exact clone of my ruler as their leader (same name, sex, age, traits, culture, dynasty, etc. of my ruler)
In the one against Burgundy, I again got the PU over Burgundy, but regarding the PUs of Burgundy, I only ended up with Holland, the other two breaking away, with me receiving a "Restoration of Union" Wargoal on Flanders but not on Brabant. Brabant in this case got a clone of my ruler as their ruler and a clone of my heir as their heir. Flanders just gets some ruler.
(this was done in Ironman)

Last edited:
Colonial nations using their colonist to improve a province when you need to convert it for the one faith achievment. The only solution I came up with, was to release and reconquer them with converting the province asap. I dont know if this has been fixed already but this was the case with patch 1.28.

This one may stand out as a bit silly to some who post some crucial bugs here, but there are countless bugs in various unit packs, mostly results of quick copypasting or typos, so they are very easy to fix with a simple mod. Examples include missing or wrong artillery DLC models, missing the new retreat animation for many cavalry units, missing particle effects in shooting animations for quite a few old infantry models, or missing regional/cultural clones for some more obscure tags that were quite clearly meant to be affected by a DLC.

I have already made a massive personal mod that fixes pretty much all these issues, which only require simple textfile edits. I've also cleaned up most of the DLC text files with unified formatting and properly using cloning where possible, to keep the text files as short as possible. Since this includes hundreds of individual fixes, it would be impossible to list them here of course, so this weekend I will make an effort to create some sort of "patch notes" and post them, together with the text files, on the bug forum. I will edit this post with a link too.

I hope that this issue won't be entirely dismissed, considering that some of us really enjoy watching the many fancy individual unit models in the game. I know I'm not the only one ;). I'm using my post to highlight this issue, since I'm confident others will manage to cover all the gameplay bugs, and I've already spent hours upon hours identifying and fixing all these quirks.

Tag order matters for armies arriving and possibly trade. From wiki:
"For example, if Sweden is moving an army into a province a Danish army is moving away from, and both their movement is set to resolve on the same day, Sweden will catch the army as they are listed prior to Denmark on the order list."

I think the order of movement should be random, and it shouldn't take much time to change it.

When generating Random World Countries you'll often see nations that have Ideas that are completely useless for them. Like a Totemist nation having + yearly harmonization or a Monarchy having + horde unity or - migration CD.

This can be easily verified by generating a RNW and scrolling through the nation.

When tribal nations (e.g. hordes) reform government, they go merchant republic sometimes. I had a blast of a game as Japan, Manchu was doing great as well. Manchu was close to forming Qing and was a rival i could go toe to toe with, fun times. Suddenly he reformed into merchant republic, released a boatload of tags and sort of imploded to stay under the 20 province limit. Took all the fun out of that game.

Personally what I want to see is the AI of Mayan, Inti and Nahuatl religious country actively trying to reform their religion. Currently they just sit there doing nothing and if they are able to pass a reform they just don't do it.

Ai units ignoring zone of control of forts you occupied within AI (enemy) territory. You get blocked by forts they occupy of yours before someone starts saying this is WAD. I have yet to complain about forts except this sticking point. The only thing I hate.

When you cross the "horizontal map border" in the middle of the Pacific not manually, but by clicking for example on a unit or an pop-up, you end up on the Northern edge directly above of where you want to go. Especially annoying when playing an Asian colonizer of the American West Coast.

When you order transport ships loaded with troops into a port but shift-command them to sail somewhere else after that, troops are not unloaded, but stay on the boats.
I would very much like them to get unloaded.

This would allow transporting troops across the ocean and order your ships right back - instead of forgetting them in the port at the other end of the world.

Ordering the Missionaries UI only works once. The UI can be sorted by a specified value by clicking on the column header. It can be resorted once but then clicking again on that column header doesnt change the sort order again.

In my first and current game the pope got angry at me for holding Rome. Except that I was Castille and Rome was held by Naples, which I got into PU from Iberian Wedding. Unortunately since Rome wasn't technically my province I could not give it back to the Pope (who also turned protestant while in exile). Either the overlord should not recieve a penalty on papal influence or get the event for giving rome back.