• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Anyone else think the earliest Aztec model looks like he's wearing pajamas?

Do we get to keep them if we convert to Catholic?

We've got them and they take something of an Ottoman influence.

Yep. Well, not that anyone cares ofc, but although the models themselves are very fine, I've always been a tad puzzled about their choice to make them look so oriental-esque, y'know, the zouave-like 3rd one, and the latest one with a turban. If Byzantium actually managed to make it that far in history, I reckon it'd model its forces after western armies, if anything.

Yep. Well, not that anyone cares ofc, but although the models themselves are very fine, I've always been a tad puzzled about their choice to make them look so oriental-esque, y'know, the zouave-like 3rd one, and the latest one with a turban. If Byzantium actually managed to make it that far in history, I reckon it'd model its forces after western armies, if anything.

That always got me. Their first unit models look really good, what one would expect out of the Empire in it's waning days. The second unit models are good too, looking almost like a Greek-Italian fusion with a bit of Eastern elements thrown in, but I would still expect to see some mail or metal on them at this point. The third and fourth ones look extremely Turkish, though, and look almost like irregulars in the Ottoman Army, which is kind of disheartening. Still, they all look nice which is a plus.

I remember there being a bit of a fuss over them. 'Them' being the latter two models. I might remember because I was one of fussers.:cool:

I remember there being a bit of a fuss over them. 'Them' being the latter two models. I might remember because I was one of fussers.:cool:

Sometimes I miss the days of five models. But who knows how more Turkish they would have gotten if there were five models in EU4?

Technically they don't turn more and more Turkish, they turn more and more Eastern. So by the fifth model they would look like Indians... Flying carpet and all.:p

These look really nice!

That always got me. Their first unit models look really good, what one would expect out of the Empire in it's waning days. The second unit models are good too, looking almost like a Greek-Italian fusion with a bit of Eastern elements thrown in, but I would still expect to see some mail or metal on them at this point. The third and fourth ones look extremely Turkish, though, and look almost like irregulars in the Ottoman Army, which is kind of disheartening. Still, they all look nice which is a plus.
Well, it makes some sense, if you ask me. The first models are used at a point where Byzantium is a shadow of its former self, a glorified city-state holding on to some territories in the south. The Turkish-looking models could probably represent the re-integration of former Ottoman territory (Anatolia etc.) having a distinct effect on Byzantium's culture and military traditions.
After all, Byzantium would have to rule over a large population of Turkish Muslims - that has to have at least some effect. :)

These are awesome. But... please add more unit graphical options for the ND. Or are you going to leave this one to the mods?

Particulary love the Mapuches units! Did they share the skins with other nations? Wich ones?

At the 1444 start there are two nations using the Mapuche units. The Mapuches (of course) in the Huillimapu province at the southern tip of the Andes as well as the Charrua in Rio De La Plata province, modern day Buenos Aires.

These are awesome. But... please add more unit graphical options for the ND. Or are you going to leave this one to the mods?

I believe that was mentioned in in the ND dev video, not entirely sure what the reply to that was or what plans there are. Personally (since we work hard on those units!) I'd certainly like being able to pick what unit to use in my custom nation. Hopefully it'll be implemented but I myself cant give any guarantees.

Do we get to keep them if we convert to Catholic?

You should be able to, as long as the nation manages to remain independent, not absorbed and have its culture stripped away, they should stay. Even surviving vassalage should let them stay I believe, so at least semi-independent.

Really loving the 2 later units, would love to see these "western style" kinda units for others areas of the world too

Got to say that as high quality as these models are, I actually prefer the vanilla design for the level 2+ Aztec and Meso.

Dang, those late-game units look absolutely amazing. Totally gonna buy ED content pack now.

10/10, hope the muslim nations will get some love too, as I'm tired that all arab/muslim nations has the same unit models.

There is already and since game release a dlc for them, called Horsemens of the Crescent.

975895HotCExtended.png