• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EUIV - Development Diary - 5th of November 2019

Remember remember, the fifth of November... Fitting today's dev diary is on a date like this considering we have the EU4 Lan Party at Moszna castle just around the corner! Which will most likely be filled with intrigue, honest intentions and so much fun. We will be present at and streaming the entire event just like last year so be sure to catch it starting on Thursday at Paradox Interactive's Twitch Channel.

But let's actually get to the development diary. Today we will be talking quite a bit about some of the Quality of Life things we've done. These ranges from the smallest of fixes to whole new features. The first thing we'll be talking about is the big work put into making every single states interaction be doable in the Macrobuilder. Heavy Placeholder art warning!

upload_2019-11-5_6-46-24.png

We've worked on giving you a tool to easily get a quick overview of how you are administering your empire, managing the states of it, greatly reducing the tedium of using the states interface. But of course just making some land a state or a territory is not the only feature the state interface encompases. We also have the various DLC features that has been added over time.

upload_2019-11-5_6-53-48.png

If you have Mandate of Heaven you can assign state edicts through the macro builder which also feature an easy way to see and sort what states have had what edict for how long. The next thing is a tab that collectively deals with all of the ways to "delegate" the administration of a state. Pashas, Metropolis and the Holy Orders.

upload_2019-11-5_7-5-27.png

upload_2019-11-5_7-5-51.png

And last is the Trade Company Investments that you will now be able to just point and click on the map to build instead of jumping around between provinces trying to figure out if something was built or not.

upload_2019-11-5_8-57-3.png

You might be now wondering though, what about the special units that you can build through the states? Also what about the Estate specific units you used to build through estates? How will all of that work now? Well as we worked on making States a bit easier to manage we also made sure to streamline these so they sort of are built like any other troop. This has meant though we've had to be a little bit inventive and change a bit of the mechanics.

Banners are no longer "stuck" to their states, instead the states increase a national level of how many banners you can have. Janissaries is similar but instead of Manchu culture it is of course any heathen provinces. Cossacks and Rajputs can be recruited in a similar way by giving their estates privileges.

Streltzy is still stuck working as before as they are a defining part of the Russian government.

upload_2019-11-5_8-6-48.png

upload_2019-11-5_8-14-41.png

Next is demanding money from your opponents where the tooltip always ends up in the way of if the AI will accept the deal or not. What we did here were to add some new shortcuts here where the game will instead just set the demanded amount of money to be exactly what the AI will accept taking into consideration anything else you've demanded so you don't need to "feel" the AI out.

upload_2019-11-5_7-26-34.png

Another thing when it comes to demanding things in a peace deal that we have improved is that giving provinces to your subjects through a peace will now reduce the liberty desire just as if you had granted them manually. Removing that extra step for you.

upload_2019-11-5_7-36-21.png

And after you've demanded those provinces it is now also a lot easier to see how long until they will stop hating you. The tooltip for opinion modifiers between two nations will now summarize the yearly change of opinion that you have, so you can see at a glance if the opinion is growing or shrinking and how fast.

upload_2019-11-5_7-39-36.png

For last, technically not a Quality of Life sort of feature but it sort of is for me. Switzerlands as a nation has been made to be a lot more mercenary. Is mercenary an adjective? Anyway we've made them integrate more with the new mercenary mechanics giving them a quite unique play style. Besides changes to their ideas they are getting unique government, even unique mercenary companies.

upload_2019-11-5_7-46-9.png

Mercenary Manpower works like Available Mercenaries did before and will increase the amount Switzerland can send as condottieri to other countries as well.

That's quite a few changes but we have a lot more in the pipeline and I want to give some honorable mentions of real cool features coming for the 1.30 patch.
  • When building regiments in unit view, it will always show your FL even if you can't build
  • When using automatic transport the general will always go with the first batch now
  • Haven't been fixed yet but the truce timer inconsistency is something we are aware of and will fix
  • The "outraged countries" field for the diplomat macro builder has been made a bit smarter to try and avoid coalitions.
  • Any interface where you should be clicking on map for provinces should do that now only. Example is fabricating claim interface, peace view(clicking on a map element will not make you leave peace deal mode) This also applies on interfaces like Grant land to Subject, Grant Core/Claim to Subject, Threathen War, and so on.
  • Alert for when you can use a Piety action as a muslim
  • Grant Free City has been added to the Diplo Macro Builder
  • When selecting a leader it will now show if he is drilling or not
  • Hinted about it in thread of previous dev diary but we now will highlight when your chance to get innovativeness from technology is about to expire.
  • Generals/Admirals now have their own age and Kings being made Generals no longer suffer the double death chance check

Now to a bit of a meta topic of our development diaries, the development diaries themselves. We do not want to produce filler development diaries and we know you want to hear about cool features whenever we write one. So we will be slowing down the pace at which we are writing these. We will be doing them monthly going forward meaning the next one won't be until 3rd of December where I will be sure to give you something to sink your teeth into. I haven't decided yet what feature we'll be talking about but thanks to reducing to this pace you can be sure it's going to be something big, new and exciting!

So until then! o/

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
You mentioned condottieri, are we going to be able to rent out our troops to other nations like mercenary companies instead of waiting for the pop up of ‘a nation will accept condottieri’ when they actually can’t afford any? @Groogy

Last edited:
If we aren't going to be having weekly DDs anymore, can we at least have some psuedo-diary where various aspects of the game are discussed, assuming that you're still planning on being more transparent with the community and that wasn't just lipservice from Jake at the beginning of the year.

I, for one, would love to hear the team's opinion on the state of TCs, territory corruption, religious conversion, capital movement restrictions, etc. since those have been massive issues within the community, yet have had absolutely no response from the devs regarding them.
I agree. The total silence from the devs on these issues is the worst part of this.

Really? Expansion is being worked on since december 2018 and you are now acting like you just started working on it? Damn, you surely have a big crisis in EU4 team with Jake gone....
It almost feels like they have expanded the scope of the expansion beyond their original design and are having to cope with a second design phase. I can't help but feel that Jake leaving dealt a massive blow to the team and whoever is slated to take the reigns is pushing for a secondary design direction that makes this even bigger.

The other thought I have is that they have hit a massive wall with their design vs implementation for this expansion and the time it is taking to develop the key features is being lengthened. This could go hand in hand with a second design phase and expanding the overall scope to fit more of what the community wants.

I definitely don't think this is due to bug squashing or QoL. It has to be because of features taking longer than expected, leadership change mid-development, and an expansion over overall scope.

I agree. The total silence from the devs on these issues is the worst part of this.

I also concur. I would like to hear more meta diaries on thoughts of the state of EU4 mechanically. However, it would seem with Jake departing that the team lacks distinct leadership and due to that they are having to stabilize the team and design direction first. I also could be wrong.

You mentioned condottieri, are we going to be able to rent out our troops to other nations like mercenary companies instead of waiting for the pop up of a nation will accept condottieri when they actually can’t afford any? @Groogy

Was something we were considering but how condottieri is sorta controlled by two countries causes too many problems so the feature will have to stay as it is for now.

If we aren't going to be having weekly DDs anymore, can we at least have some psuedo-diary where various aspects of the game are discussed, assuming that you're still planning on being more transparent with the community and that wasn't just lipservice from Jake at the beginning of the year.

There is no Game Director for EU4 right now. Johan confirmed that they don't have any spare Directors to move to EU4 and are still in process of training a new Game Director.
This means that though development can continue for a while, there is nobody responsible for things like the vision and general direction of the game and, in extension, nobody to talk about it.

Nice stuff. Not sure about people not wanting filler stuff. Isn't that more about people just eager for the juicy stuff rather than a dislike for filler?

Unfortunately, no. Way too many people here start screaming like preadoloscent children whenever they get a filler Dev Diary. Not having anything triggers them far less.

Will you ever consider changing unit sizes to company sizes? 500 for infantry, 200 for cavalry, and 50 for artillery? It's not realistic to fit a regiment of 1,000 cavalry on one transport ship.

"1000" cavalry is actually 250 knights, since its one rider and the horse counts as 3. (Unless its an indian unit, then its only 50 Elephants, with each Elephant counting as 16 and then 3 men to ride it and 1 for logistics).

"1000" artillery is actually just 100 cannons, since its 1 cannon, 3 men to fire it, one horse (costs 3) to pull the cannon and another (costs 3) to transport the ammo cart.

I shit you not

Now to a bit of a meta topic of our development diaries, the development diaries themselves. We do not want to produce filler development diaries and we know you want to hear about cool features whenever we write one. So we will be slowing down the pace at which we are writing these. We will be doing them monthly going forward meaning the next one won't be until 3rd of December where I will be sure to give you something to sink your teeth into. I haven't decided yet what feature we'll be talking about but thanks to reducing to this pace you can be sure it's going to be something big, new and exciting!

So until then! o/

Could you just give us random ideas and mission trees to tide us over, ignoring the features?

Speaking of states and quality of life improvements please either increase state limits or remove territorial corruption it’s so annoying to have corruption still growing in my country when I’ve stated all I can and I have the slider set to max.

Any planned changes to the outliner? Like manually arranging armies? Or shift-clicking on armies in the outliner so the screen doesn't move to the armies current position? (Moving back and forth from Siberia to move your troops out of Russia is a chore. I want to keep looking at my country while I tell all my armies where to move.)

(Or if someone could tell me that this [or a home province function like in Stellaris?] already exists, I'd be overjoyed.)

Banners are no longer "stuck" to their states, instead the states increase a national level of how many banners you can have.

View attachment 523359
Currently when you recruit banners you get a somewhat random assortment of units. How will this work in the next patch?
Do you get to choose what type of unit you'd like or does it give you a random unit every time you recruit?

Another thing when it comes to demanding things in a peace deal that we have improved is that giving provinces to your subjects through a peace will now reduce the liberty desire just as if you had granted them manually. Removing that extra step for you.
Something I noticed recently is that granting client states provinces directly using the client state province interface also does not decrease liberty desire. Can this be tackled in the same breath?

Good news for my 001 genius king
Even better news for my 0/0/0 son that seems to be too stupid for hunting. This is why 6/6/6 heirs always die. They are too cocky and go on hunting trips thinking nothing could go wrong. Meanwhile my 0/0/0 heir stays home probably always a little drunk but somehow not dying.

Currently when you recruit banners you get a somewhat random assortment of units. How will this work in the next patch?
Do you get to choose what type of unit you'd like or does it give you a random unit every time you recruit?

Still looking at how we will resolve that but we of course want to retain old behaviour somewhat so you can get infantry as well.

Something I noticed recently is that granting client states provinces directly using the client state province interface also does not decrease liberty desire. Can this be tackled in the same breath?

Will have a look at that :)

Is it random? I though it looks at you army composition (Cavalry to rest ratio) and creates units until you reach that ratio globally. Playing as Qing I only ever got cavalry as I never even got close to the 50% ratio.

Is it random? I though it looks at you army composition (Cavalry to rest ratio) and creates units until you reach that ratio globally.

Yepp that is how it works right now :)

There is no Game Director for EU4 right now. Johan confirmed that they don't have any spare Directors to move to EU4 and are still in process of training a new Game Director.
This means that though development can continue for a while, there is nobody responsible for things like the vision and general direction of the game and, in extension, nobody to talk about it.

Unfortunately, no. Way too many people here start screaming like preadoloscent children whenever they get a filler Dev Diary. Not having anything triggers them far less.
I don't see what Jake's departure in December has to do with the things that were implemented when he was the GD. If anything, NOW would be the best time to share what their design was at the time, so the devs and the community are on the same page and we can collectively ascertain if that vision/design was reached and if it's effects were positive, negative, or neutral. Lest they end up falling into the same mistakes once they get the new GD trained and in control.