• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EUIV - Development Diary - 3rd of March 2020

Hey! So today’s development diary will be a bit shorter as we’ll have something really juicy to show later today at 15:00 CET. Something which a lot of you have been waiting for a long time and are as hyped up for as I am.

But of course for the ones that can’t wait that long, let’s talk about some of the new features coming in 1.30.

First feature is that the Kingdom of God has gotten a bit of a do-over to not be such a trap decision anymore. Previously it would disable the Curia removing an entire feature from the game as a “reward”. Now this doesn’t really fit with us both wanting to make the Pope more of a power player among the Catholics but also give the Catholics more features to play with.

upload_2020-3-3_9-24-29.png

I’ve seen suggestions on the forum for the Papal States to be given a new tag if they take the decision, but for technical reasons we want to keep the PAP tag around, so we figured out a different way to reward the player. Upon declaring the Kingdom of God the Papal States will be renamed and given a new unique government reform that promotes them up to Empire rank.

We will no longer disable the Curia when the Kingdom of God decision is taken. Instead we will be giving you some new goodies that we will cover more in detail in a future Catholic focused development diary as it will play in with some of the new features we've worked on.

upload_2020-3-3_9-47-56.png

upload_2020-3-3_9-25-11.png

Now as we did this we also realized that the old Unify Islam decision could do some touches up as well. For one we removed the requirement that you need to convert your entire realm. It doesn’t jive well with the name and since the conception of the decision we’ve added several mechanics that require that you keep non-muslims around. Like the Dhimmi or the Janissaries.

upload_2020-3-3_9-25-26.png

But as you can see we have also changed the decision rewards. If taken you will now become known as The Caliphate and be given Feudal Theocracy as a government reform.

Next is some more Quality of Life, because you can never have enough of that. It goes a bit in the same vein as the change we did with warning you of that the Innovativeness Gain from Tech and Ideas are about to time out.

upload_2020-3-3_9-25-39.png

The alert for when you are about to hit your maximum cap for monarch power have been changed so it will popup if you hit it in 3 months instead of at the moment of when it’s too late. Now when you do actually hit the upper limit it will turn red instead to really try and grab your attention.

And I want to finish with some changes to the Introduce new heir mechanics. First up England starts with 100 Legitimacy again and in cases like the War of the Roses, Granadan Succession war or other similar things, we will instead be looking at claim strength of the heir or check if the dynasty is of the correct one to avoid cheating yourself out of it. Also to not allow you to cheat out of being a potential junior partner in a PU, anyone you have a royal marriage with will gain a Claim Throne CB on you.

All of the changes mentioned in this development diary except the Introduce New Heir new behavior is part of the 1.30 Patch. That’s it for the Development Diary, stay peeled for 15:00 CET for more information! Next development diary will be about the Estates and how we have changed how you play with them completely.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Instead of the Caliphate it should be "[Dynasty name] Caliphate" or "[Nation Name] Caliphate" and tbh it is a nice improvement to the Unify Islam decision, but it should be it's own nation, similar to how you have the Roman Empire as it's own nation, give it's own tag like "CAL" or something. And it's name would be "[Current Dynasty of Nation] Caliphate", and probably it's own unique government reform choices that give it some religious bonuses, or it's own unique government (similar to what the Ottomans and Mamluks have) The Color preferably should be something like White, Green, or Black.

EDIT:

And while we're at it with the name change thing, can you add flag changes. Like how France can have it's white flag, or the Ottomans can have their green flag, via decisions etc...

Regarding the "Form Caliphate" - I'm super excited that you no longer have to convert all of your lands.

Unfortunately I would never ever want to give up Janissaries and Ottoman government in exchange for Feudal Theocracy. I can't see myself ever uniting Islam as Ottomans, Rum, or even the Mamluks to be honest if Feudal Theocracy is mandatory, its strictly a downgrade if it replaces the unique governments.
Agreed. Maybe give the player an event right after taking the decision that asks them whether or not they want to keep their current government or change to Feudal Theocracy.

The popup for the monarch power cap is great! I hate sitting on speed 5 waiting for truces to be over then not notice that I've maxed out before I've already lost some power.

Oh! It looks like you forget to include the new Channel Islands in this Dev Diary. No problem, you still can announce them now!
It's not great, but I made a quick mod to add the Channel Islands. It's the first time I've ever made a mod, so I hope you enjoy it. It's also on Paradox Mods. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2014053428&searchtext=
Now the devs can breathe a little easier. And maybe have something to work from... hint, hint.
I can't wait for Emperor to come out! It's looking fantastic right now.

Instead of the Caliphate it should be "[Dynasty name] Caliphate" or "[Nation Name] Caliphate" and tbh it is a nice improvement to the Unify Islam decision, but it should be it's own nation, similar to how you have the Roman Empire as it's own nation, give it's own tag like "CAL" or something. And it's name would be "[Current Dynasty of Nation] Caliphate", and probably it's own unique government reform choices that give it some religious bonuses, or it's own unique government (similar to what the Ottomans and Mamluks have) The Color preferably should be something like White, Green, or Black.

EDIT:

And while we're at it with the name change thing, can you add flag changes. Like how France can have it's white flag, or the Ottomans can have their green flag, via decisions etc...

I am not sure about it being it’s own tag. It isn’t you forming a new nation, it is you declaring your rule over Islam in general. It isn’t reforming one of the historical Caliphates (which were all quite different other than the title and often coexisted. The Roman Empire is about reforming a specific historical nation.

Add in the dramatically different nations that could reasonably declare a new Caliphate, Moroccans, Persians, Turks, Indians, etc and I think the name over tag swap makes sense.

I agree on the dynamic name. The dynamic name would also better tie to not being a tag change.

I agree on the dynamic name. The dynamic name would also better tie to not being a tag change.

Something like "Ottoman Caliphate" feels more consistent with how the Revolutionary name change works too (Revolutionary Ottomans) - you are still the same nation except that something has fundamentally changed about what that nation is.

Will Ibadi muslim nations be able to claim caliphate? Unlike Sunni and Shia muslims they have always sort of rejected the idea. In general they have less of an idea of unison so I always found it odd that they have goods produced rather than heathen or heretic tolerance.

I only want one more quality of life thing. Please add the full annexation button on peace deal interface. We all hate to find hidden provinces in late game,especially colonizers who have some area in the middle of north america,or somewhere in the pacific or indonesia. Or simply in late game with full admin efficiency and can take lots of provinces

Can any Muslim form the caliphate? Even an end tag? Like say Rome converts to Sunni and takes the decision to unify Islam would it still switch names despite being an end tag?

Great!!!! I´m very excited with the new Kingdom of god. Also I think the rewards to became the caliphate are not good enough, feudal theocracy its not the best muslim gobernement, i think the best reward to the effort to conquer all this provinces i fix you as tier 5 defender of the faith.

About the decision conditions, I think they are a bit weird. The conditions for me correspond more to "Restoration of Islamic borders" than "Uniting Islam". Uniting Islam should be unlocked if you are Muslim and every Muslim province and country is of the same Muslim religion (sunni or shia or other), or if you own every Muslim province and that they are of same subgroup, but why needing to reach Cordoba?
Maybe because there are still Muslim minorities but Restoration of Islam Rule/borders seems more appropriate.

I've been thinking...
Can we have a button "ask for knowledge sharing from your ally/overlord"?
It's nice that you can share it, but being able to ask for it at the cost of some prestige would be logical too.

Fix the Mamluk 20 Legitimacy Bug if you don't have Cradle of Civilization.

This is ridiculous that the bug has been known and it still hasn't been fixed. Disable the Mamluk government when people don't have the DLC. You're basically making a country unplayable for a lot of people unless they pay you.

I can't believe people will buy your DLC knowing that Paradox is ok with this practice.

We are already close to release and Paradox is still hiding the changes to Catholism. Considering their track record they will most likely wait for the last week before development is over to show us how they ruined it so they can claim "its too late to change it now" like they do with every mechanic the community doesnt like.

We are already close to release and Paradox is still hiding the changes to Catholism. Considering their track record they will most likely wait for the last week before development is over to show us how they ruined it so they can claim "its too late to change it now" like they do with every mechanic the community doesnt like.
Citation on that "track record", please? Because the feature everyone hates in "Golden Century" is Expel Minorities, which was in the third (out of ten) dev diary.