• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EUIV - Development Diary - 3rd of March 2020

Hey! So today’s development diary will be a bit shorter as we’ll have something really juicy to show later today at 15:00 CET. Something which a lot of you have been waiting for a long time and are as hyped up for as I am.

But of course for the ones that can’t wait that long, let’s talk about some of the new features coming in 1.30.

First feature is that the Kingdom of God has gotten a bit of a do-over to not be such a trap decision anymore. Previously it would disable the Curia removing an entire feature from the game as a “reward”. Now this doesn’t really fit with us both wanting to make the Pope more of a power player among the Catholics but also give the Catholics more features to play with.

upload_2020-3-3_9-24-29.png

I’ve seen suggestions on the forum for the Papal States to be given a new tag if they take the decision, but for technical reasons we want to keep the PAP tag around, so we figured out a different way to reward the player. Upon declaring the Kingdom of God the Papal States will be renamed and given a new unique government reform that promotes them up to Empire rank.

We will no longer disable the Curia when the Kingdom of God decision is taken. Instead we will be giving you some new goodies that we will cover more in detail in a future Catholic focused development diary as it will play in with some of the new features we've worked on.

upload_2020-3-3_9-47-56.png

upload_2020-3-3_9-25-11.png

Now as we did this we also realized that the old Unify Islam decision could do some touches up as well. For one we removed the requirement that you need to convert your entire realm. It doesn’t jive well with the name and since the conception of the decision we’ve added several mechanics that require that you keep non-muslims around. Like the Dhimmi or the Janissaries.

upload_2020-3-3_9-25-26.png

But as you can see we have also changed the decision rewards. If taken you will now become known as The Caliphate and be given Feudal Theocracy as a government reform.

Next is some more Quality of Life, because you can never have enough of that. It goes a bit in the same vein as the change we did with warning you of that the Innovativeness Gain from Tech and Ideas are about to time out.

upload_2020-3-3_9-25-39.png

The alert for when you are about to hit your maximum cap for monarch power have been changed so it will popup if you hit it in 3 months instead of at the moment of when it’s too late. Now when you do actually hit the upper limit it will turn red instead to really try and grab your attention.

And I want to finish with some changes to the Introduce new heir mechanics. First up England starts with 100 Legitimacy again and in cases like the War of the Roses, Granadan Succession war or other similar things, we will instead be looking at claim strength of the heir or check if the dynasty is of the correct one to avoid cheating yourself out of it. Also to not allow you to cheat out of being a potential junior partner in a PU, anyone you have a royal marriage with will gain a Claim Throne CB on you.

All of the changes mentioned in this development diary except the Introduce New Heir new behavior is part of the 1.30 Patch. That’s it for the Development Diary, stay peeled for 15:00 CET for more information! Next development diary will be about the Estates and how we have changed how you play with them completely.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Not certain how I feel about the Unify Islam decision changing my countries name to 'Caliphate'. I like the idea of retaining my tags name but also want the bonuses. Would it be possible to perhaps have it as a dynamic name, so that if I unify Islam as the Ottomans for example I am called the 'Ottoman Caliphate'?

Edit: With regards to the Kingdom of God modifiers, while I agree that tier 3 might not be the best placement I think the upgrade to Empire rank is often undervalued and I'd want to see the other mechanics they hinted at before criticising it as not being powerful enough.

What about an event for countries with the Empire govt rank that would rename them to "[Adj] Empire" i.e Byzantine Empire, Ottoman Empire, Mughal Empire, etc.
And then an event that would rename them back if the lose the govt rank somehow.
Good idea it would remove such nonsense as possibiblity of duchy-rank Roman Empire

Austria was called the Austrian Empire until they had to give in to Hungarian demands so that the empire wouldn't fall apart. Not exactly something you would triumphantly declare.

It's fine since such memetic mission and probably achievement can allow you to choose to pick up Australia name. You don't have to agree to it, but some optional stupidity on top of silliness (Austria going to Australia of all places) wouldn't be any bad as an option.

Hi Paradox developers
Why not work on the mechanics of the Great War?
This game should be such that we can choose our own war tacs
And not by chance
Why you did'nt answer me
I said it again
Is it possible for you to work on combat tactics?
And wars are no longer a chance

I think the Caliphate (and the Feudal Theocracy government, although I think the Caliphate would need it's very own government form...) should be one of two options, the other one being to change your name for Dar al-Islam instead.

Wonderful features!
I'm glad the estate change was still a thing. I thought it was killed since we haven't heard of it for so long!

No been working a lot on it and it gotten several revisions and that's why we haven't talked much about it.

Hi Paradox developers
Why not work on the mechanics of the Great War?
This game should be such that we can choose our own war tacs
And not by chance
Why you did'nt answer me
I said it again
Is it possible for you to work on combat tactics?
And wars are no longer a chance

I don't really understand what you are trying to say. But at least for chance influence in combat for EU4 is by design that early game that the dice have a larger impact but that impact diminishes over time as the military modernizes.

YES! This is great! Thank you so much.

If you're feeling extra generous, would you consider adding a "change_country_color" effect as well? Would be nice to be able to recolor, rename and change ideas of tags as pseudo-formables, without needing to have more tags in the game.
Changing country colour would also be nice for your colonial nations, as they don't change colour when you form a new country.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Feudal Theocracy creates a significant disincentive to do it as the country best placed to do it.

Non-revolutionary tag name change? Neat! Can we expect the orders and perhaps the tags named after dynasties get some conditional name changes in the future updates? There's something really smelly about republican Livonian Order.

I suppose one could lock the Livonian Order (as well as Teutonic Order) to monastic order government until they take the option to secularize to Kurland (or Prussia in case of the Teutonic Order). That way, there's no need for additional tag name changes, since Livonian Order can only refer to the tag being ruled by a monastic order, and any change to the government type would necessitate a secularization into Kurland, a tag which has a name reflecting the geographical region their state encompasses, and thus can represent any other government type.

My question today is about the Portuguese Fuziliers Flagship bonus.
I assume it wont remain the same?
Will it buff the Marines, since it seems Portugal Gameplay will be focused better marines and navy?

About The Caliphate being weird, I don't agree.
I believe the point here is to legitimize this caliphate as being the one and only Caliphate. Because you are the caliphate of every Muslim, you emphasize that you have no spiritual rival, there is no other caliphate so no need to specify which one you are.
But because a lot of people seem to dislike it, why not simply having an event on formation allowing you to choose your name between The Caliphate and the Ottoman Caliphate (having dynasty name in it could also be good as a choice).

Would you update near east in next patch after 1.30, I would love to see a zoroastrian persia or new missions and ideas for ethiopia and arabic countries ^^ and some mechanics for judaism

Last edited: