• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EUIV - Development Diary - 3rd of March 2020

Hey! So today’s development diary will be a bit shorter as we’ll have something really juicy to show later today at 15:00 CET. Something which a lot of you have been waiting for a long time and are as hyped up for as I am.

But of course for the ones that can’t wait that long, let’s talk about some of the new features coming in 1.30.

First feature is that the Kingdom of God has gotten a bit of a do-over to not be such a trap decision anymore. Previously it would disable the Curia removing an entire feature from the game as a “reward”. Now this doesn’t really fit with us both wanting to make the Pope more of a power player among the Catholics but also give the Catholics more features to play with.

upload_2020-3-3_9-24-29.png

I’ve seen suggestions on the forum for the Papal States to be given a new tag if they take the decision, but for technical reasons we want to keep the PAP tag around, so we figured out a different way to reward the player. Upon declaring the Kingdom of God the Papal States will be renamed and given a new unique government reform that promotes them up to Empire rank.

We will no longer disable the Curia when the Kingdom of God decision is taken. Instead we will be giving you some new goodies that we will cover more in detail in a future Catholic focused development diary as it will play in with some of the new features we've worked on.

upload_2020-3-3_9-47-56.png

upload_2020-3-3_9-25-11.png

Now as we did this we also realized that the old Unify Islam decision could do some touches up as well. For one we removed the requirement that you need to convert your entire realm. It doesn’t jive well with the name and since the conception of the decision we’ve added several mechanics that require that you keep non-muslims around. Like the Dhimmi or the Janissaries.

upload_2020-3-3_9-25-26.png

But as you can see we have also changed the decision rewards. If taken you will now become known as The Caliphate and be given Feudal Theocracy as a government reform.

Next is some more Quality of Life, because you can never have enough of that. It goes a bit in the same vein as the change we did with warning you of that the Innovativeness Gain from Tech and Ideas are about to time out.

upload_2020-3-3_9-25-39.png

The alert for when you are about to hit your maximum cap for monarch power have been changed so it will popup if you hit it in 3 months instead of at the moment of when it’s too late. Now when you do actually hit the upper limit it will turn red instead to really try and grab your attention.

And I want to finish with some changes to the Introduce new heir mechanics. First up England starts with 100 Legitimacy again and in cases like the War of the Roses, Granadan Succession war or other similar things, we will instead be looking at claim strength of the heir or check if the dynasty is of the correct one to avoid cheating yourself out of it. Also to not allow you to cheat out of being a potential junior partner in a PU, anyone you have a royal marriage with will gain a Claim Throne CB on you.

All of the changes mentioned in this development diary except the Introduce New Heir new behavior is part of the 1.30 Patch. That’s it for the Development Diary, stay peeled for 15:00 CET for more information! Next development diary will be about the Estates and how we have changed how you play with them completely.

Last edited:
Reactions:
@Groogy Very glad to see that this is finally getting attention-- thanks so much for that! I do think that the Kingdom of God government should be more powerful, though-- as it is, it isn't a strict downgrade from Combat Heresy, but your armies will definitely feel the hit. Is it possible to either increase the manpower and prestige modifiers or add one for morale (which would make sense, as your armies would be all the more zealous)?

There will be more benefits but more relating to some new mechanics we are not ready to show yet :)

Also, how're you feeling? Recovered from the flu?
Yepp thanks!

Instead we will be giving you some new goodies that we will cover more in detail in a future Catholic focused development diary as it will play in with some of the new features we've worked on.
Are there plans for other changes when it comes to religion (like removing the requirement that only christian/muslim nations get boni from holding rome/jerusalem/mekka/...)?

I know is an unpopular opinion but I don't think the Papacy should be given the Rank of Empire, not even at the cenit of its power the papal states expanded that much, is supposed to be a small state not a country you can do a World Conquest with. Duchy rank is more than enough to be able to unify Italy and have a lot of colonies if you want on top of that.

I'm not sure how locked up Catholic mechanics are, but I'd like to list out my issues with the last Dev Diary that covered it, and I'm not sure what mechanics have changed/influenced it, but I'd just be wondering if they'd be addressed:

- The Papal Election still being random: You gave a lot of new toys to the Curia Controller, and Catholics would gain buffs when the Controller selects certain things, but it's still something a player can't count on. It doesn't mean you can't have the election be random, but it would be nice for non-Controllers to still have agency. Like that CB I suggested to force the pope to lift Excommunication.
- The Diary was silent on whether Cardinals were still hardcoded to Europe. This means that placed like Maya, Kongo or Japan has very little reason to stay Catholic once they join the Jesus Club, and would hop on over to other religions that might give them more tangible benefits. This also means they have even less agency with what buffs the Curia Controller deems fit to bestow.

Really nice but it really should be country specific instead of being 'The Caliphate', im sure it can be done like the new world countries, where your own name would get added in front of the region, British Peru, for example. If britain formed the caliphate its name would change to British Caliphate.

Also, dev clashes!

I know is an unpopular opinion but I don't think the Papacy should be given the Rank of Empire, not even at the cenit of its power the papal states expanded that much, is supposed to be a small state not a country you can do a World Conquest with. Duchy rank is more than enough to be able to unify Italy and have a lot of colonies if you want on top of that.
To be honest, to me, the Kingdom of God shouldnt be related only to Italy, but to the sacred land (the Latin Crusaders States + Alexandria) + core Roman Land (Spain, France, Italy). I dont really see the point to link it only to Italy.

I still hope a big Rework of catholicism and crusaders states (and new tags). Little warlike nations, aimed to destroy Ottomans and Mameluke and restore Christiandom in its craddle, with new missions and events, and some special flavour is all i want. What's more, it could be called by any minor nation attacked by a non Christian one.

I'm not sure how locked up Catholic mechanics are, but I'd like to list out my issues with the last Dev Diary that covered it, and I'm not sure what mechanics have changed/influenced it, but I'd just be wondering if they'd be addressed:

- The Papal Election still being random: You gave a lot of new toys to the Curia Controller, and Catholics would gain buffs when the Controller selects certain things, but it's still something a player can't count on. It doesn't mean you can't have the election be random, but it would be nice for non-Controllers to still have agency. Like that CB I suggested to force the pope to lift Excommunication.
- The Diary was silent on whether Cardinals were still hardcoded to Europe. This means that placed like Maya, Kongo or Japan has very little reason to stay Catholic once they join the Jesus Club, and would hop on over to other religions that might give them more tangible benefits. This also means they have even less agency with what buffs the Curia Controller deems fit to bestow.
Totally agree with you but about the Curia controller and the fact that most of the world has no incentive to remain catholic, but it would not be fair for smaller European States to have to compete in development with monster like New Spain of Brazil because historically small Italians states had a lot more influence on the Curia than Peru despite Peru having 50 times more development in the game.

The devs have yet to give the final numbers but I think the new mechanic of a powerful Curia controller giving bonuses to all catholic states may be enough for them to remain with Rome

Glad to hear that there will be other modifiers that will make it worth taking over Combat Heresy.

After all it is Kingdom of GOD, not Kingdom of people who reproduce like rabbits.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Really nice but it really should be country specific instead of being 'The Caliphate', im sure it can be done like the new world countries, where your own name would get added in front of the region, British Peru, for example. If britain formed the caliphate its name would change to British Caliphate.

Also, dev clashes!
I second this, Add the country name infront of it. The Caliphate for lack of a better term sounds really tacky, you dont call stuff mughals The Mughals because it sound dumb, would be much better for say Ottoman Calphiate instead of just THE Calphiate

I second this, Add the country name infront of it. The Caliphate for lack of a better term sounds really tacky, you dont call stuff mughals The Mughals because it sound dumb, would be much better for say Ottoman Calphiate instead of just THE Calphiate
The Caliphate would be the default, but some nations could have a custom variant.

I’ve seen suggestions on the forum for the Papal States to be given a new tag if they take the decision, but for technical reasons we want to keep the PAP tag around, so we figured out a different way to reward the player. Upon declaring the Kingdom of God the Papal States will be renamed and given a new unique government reform that promotes them up to Empire rank.

But as you can see we have also changed the decision rewards. If taken you will now become known as The Caliphate and be given Feudal Theocracy as a government reform.

It seems you now have mechanics in place that allow tags to be renamed. Could this feature be expanded to allow other tags to be renamed under certain situations? For instance, this would allow Ottomans who are no longer ruled by the Ottoman dynasty (say, after becoming Revolutionary) to be renamed Turkey, specifically by making the tag's default name Turkey and cause the their base reform to rename the tag to "Ottomans": since the Ottoman Government reform makes their dynasty fixed, the Ottomans would become Turkey if they lose their base reform, and thus almost certainly the Ottoman dynasty.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
And I want to finish with some changes to the Introduce new heir mechanics. First up England starts with 100 Legitimacy again and in cases like the War of the Roses, Granadan Succession war or other similar things, we will instead be looking at claim strength of the heir or check if the dynasty is of the correct one to avoid cheating yourself out of it. Also to not allow you to cheat out of being a potential junior partner in a PU, anyone you have a royal marriage with will gain a Claim Throne CB on you.
Does that mean if everyone with the same dynasty, no heir/weak claim heir and royal marriage will automaticly get the cb? So no more manual claiming it? And what about the negative relation impact of it? You can just lose an alliance because you don't have an heir/weak claimed heir.

• 1Like
Reactions:
To be honest, to me, the Kingdom of God shouldnt be related only to Italy, but to the sacred land (the Latin Crusaders States + Alexandria) + core Roman Land (Spain, France, Italy). I dont really see the point to link it only to Italy.

I still hope a big Rework of catholicism and crusaders states (and new tags). Little warlike nations, aimed to destroy Ottomans and Mameluke and restore Christiandom in its craddle, with new missions and events, and some special flavour is all i want. What's more, it could be called by any minor nation attacked by a non Christian one.
Exactly, It makes no sense for the Papal States to unify the faith under its direct authority because it never aimed to that.
Perhaps they can make it so that the catholic states have to pay tribute to the Papal States or something like that, or that the pope can excommunicate catholic countries that attack other catholic countries or that ally with protestant nations, but making it a White Italian Empire makes no sense