• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EUIV - Development Diary - 28th of January 2020

Hey again! So I know the last development diary I said that the next one wouldn’t be coming until 4th of February, and if you check your calendar it is still not yet 4th of February. However we’ve gotten to a point of 1.30 where we feel we can more regularly provide development diaries again. So for this one I will be visiting an old favorite though before we dig into new features that are going to be coming with the upcoming expansion and patch. Features made just to make the game simply better, quality of life.

I will warn you though, a lot of the UI you are about to see is very much work in progress and is not representative of how it will look upon release.

upload_2020-1-28_9-30-53.png

First up we’ve made information about other countries' military strength more readily available to the player. It has always been possible to discern this information in the ledger, and it will still be available there, but we’ve also now placed it in two interfaces that you might look at a bit more often. First is the Diplomacy View where below the usual information you can discern of a country. Here it will list specific the land forces and the naval forces fielded and last the manpower of the country.

upload_2020-1-28_9-31-20.png

Then we have the War Declaration view, this one is a bit more complicated. It will sum up the infantry, cavalry and artillery of each side that will be called in to the war. The last column is the full amount of forces deployed and the amount of manpower available to that side. You can see the breakdown of these numbers for each called nation by hovering over each number.

These values are hidden if you are playing with limited or locked ledger in multiplayer. But they will show up if you have infiltrated administration in a nation. In the case of the War Declaration screen it will show incomplete numbers but also warn you of this unless you have infiltrated every member of the opposing sides governments.

upload_2020-1-28_9-31-37.png

Next is a little handy thing just to help you pick your rivals a little bit better. Each option when picking your rivals will now highlight if that country has also picked you as their rival.

upload_2020-1-28_9-31-53.png

We’ve made endgame tags optional now. You can turn it off in the options before starting a campaign. It does however invalidate achievements.

upload_2020-1-28_9-32-21.png

Last thing is on events that affect a specific location in the world. We’ve added some nifty buttons, these will take you directly to the province that the event is concerning. Making it a lot easier to get a grasp on what you are getting where. Image shown here is an example with a banner in the top which will be used for if the entire event affects a single province while the one on an event option is for if there’s a difference between the options.

I also want to update you on that since last dev diary I and Johan have listened to responses and based on that feedback done some balance changes. Courthouse and Town Hall reduces governing cost -25% and -50% respectively. We've added State House which uses a manufactory slot and gives -20% governing cost and -5% minimum autonomy on entire area with double effect on provinces of paper, gem or glass. They can only be built one per area. Merchant Republics and Prussian Monarchies penalties are now based on Governing Capacity instead of amount of provinces. They will also as a base have less Governing Capacity available to them.

We've also changed the requirements for making a province part of Trade Companies, there are no longer any religious requirements, it only requires the province to not be in your super region. This means Russia can make Siberia into a TC if they so want to. Their autonomy penalty have been changed to 90%, however they have only 45% production efficiency loss from autonomy and no penalty on naval FL. Propagation of Religion available to Muslims have been limited to anywhere but Europe.

That’s it for today's dev diary. Next one will come next week and will be written by Johan about a new upcoming feature part of the expansion focusing on making conquest more rewarding.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Last thing is on events that affect a specific location in the world. We’ve added some nifty buttons, these will take you directly to the province that the event is concerning. Making it a lot easier to get a grasp on what you are getting where. Image shown here is an example with a banner in the top which will be used for if the entire event affects a single province while the one on an event option is for if there’s a difference between the options.
Nice. Does this work only for provinces or for areas as well?

We've also changed the requirements for making a province part of Trade Companies, there are no longer any religious requirements, it only requires the province to not be in your super region. This means Russia can make Siberia into a TC if they so want to. Their autonomy penalty have been changed to 90%, however they have only 45% production efficiency loss from autonomy and no penalty on naval FL. Propagation of Religion available to Muslims have been limited to anywhere but Europe.
Shut. Up. And. Take. My. Money.

Nice QOL updates in an otherwise unexpected DD.

May I ask why exactly turning off endgame tags invalidates achievements? There's already the checksum for each achievement that makes it so you can't, say, start as England, flip to Byz culture, form Byz, and then get the achievement for reviving the empire. Seems like it's moreso an issue in MP than SP, so I don't understand why it's not the same implementation that idea groups have.

I like the rejiggering of the overextension nerf, and the State House sounds great. Couple of questions however:

- Will the Super Regions get adjusted to take Trade Companies into account?
- At present Territorial Corruption does have a cap on its penalties. Will this new system have a cap, or can it theoretically rise to infinity?

Nice stuff Groog :)

The 'go to province' for events is a godsend.

Though I was also getting used to the monthly diaries!!

Shut. Up. And. Take. My. Money.
Pretty sure that's the plan :p

That said, this is very much the sort of changes we've been seeking for ages, lets get this hype train on the tracks.

These are some very nice additions to the interface :) .

Will you also add total development somewhere? I have recently completed the Taungu mission tree, and the mission 'A Great Mandala' was mainly challenging because it is a pain to check the development of your subjects.

What are the costs and requirments (Adm tech I preseme) on State House?

TCs still provide merchants right?

Also thank god for troop data on DoW screen, now if only mil tech and army quality were listed there as well.

Ever since alot of provinces have been added to the rough area where a Prussia would be in, with no balancing on the government personally it had killed the fun for me to play as them.

Government capacity looks sooo much better than a raw province count, thank you.

Last edited:
Hmmm, all of this seems interesting, and the change to a soft cap to MR and Prussia will allow some decision making. One thing I notice is the change from "manufactory" to "local unique building" that could be done, denomination wise, since with more buildings competing for the same slot, that's pretty much what it is becoming. Maybe putting it separate from normal building in the building UI of a province could help, too, but that's mostly a detail.

Speaking of detail, we are getting information on troops in other place than the ledger, which is great. However while numbers are good to have, army quality is also important, and while going to said ledger isn't a problem in on itself, one value that always caused me problem there is morale, which I'd rather have as the maximum at full army maintenance than the current morale of a country, not representative of what it will be in a real situation. Again, that's nothing important, and doesn't change the fact that today's Dev Diary is very interesting in what it brings.

May I ask why exactly turning off endgame tags invalidates achievements?

Because as the option says; it makes the game easier.

It's a lot easier to do things like WC by chain-tagswitching between countries with powerful mission trees for permaclaims and other bonuses everywhere.

Just like you don't get achievements for playing below Normal.

Fantastic set of QOL changes here! :)

Merchant Republics and Prussian Monarchies penalties are now based on Governing Capacity instead of amount of provinces. They will also as a base have less Governing Capacity available to them.

Can we get a "generic" version of the Prussian government much like States General is a generic version of Dutch Republic? Militarisation + Aztecs with full Nahuatl reforms and EoC would be something to behold.

We've also changed the requirements for making a province part of Trade Companies, there are no longer any religious requirements, it only requires the province to not be in your super region.
I would guess that some superregions will be moved around, otherwise this would still make it possible for Mamelukes to TC Arabia.

Because as the option says; it makes the game easier.

It's a lot easier to do things like WC by chain-tagswitching between countries with powerful mission trees for permaclaims and other bonuses everywhere.

Just like you don't get achievements for playing below Normal.

Yeah, Aragon -> Spain (culture shift to get Spanish missions) -> Scotland -> Great Britain would be insane.